End of life, palliative cares, assisted suicide and euthanasia

France is working about changing its laws about end of life. People are

An ethic comity has given a report. Many people, and among them churches, are giving their opinions.

A convention of roughly 190 citizens, chosen by lot, have worked for more than 6 months, auditing experts and so, and they have given their conclusions.

1. the palliative care system must be amended as it is deficient, and must generalized,

2. assisted suicide must be allowed with a procedure giving guaranties that the patient choice is free and deeply certain.

3. euthanasia can be accepted. but the members of the convention have disagreed about it. A strong minority is against, a group wants it heavily restrained and staying exceptional, a last group being more liberal.

1 Like

All these philosophies are based on the premise that life is sacred, but that makes absolutely no sense at all.

If everything that has ever lived is now dead and everything that is now alive will die, where does the sacred part come in?

Sacred comes in when matter becoming alive - at least to me it seems self-evidence and it feels mighty sacred to me, and Iā€™m not even religious.
Let me suggest looking at it from another angle. A more inclusive perspective.

There is also a sanctity in death, it must also be respected.

Beyond that thereā€™s also Oregon.

Oregonā€™s Death With Dignity Act (DWDA)

In 1997, Oregon enacted the Death With Dignity Act, allowing terminally ill individuals to end their lives through the voluntary self-administration of a lethal dose of medication, expressly prescribed by a physician for that purpose. The DWDA requires the Oregon Health Authority to collect data on DWDA participation and issue an annual report. Our position is a neutral one, and we believe these data are important to parties on both sides of the issue. While it is not our role to interpret the DWDA, we routinely receive inquiries about the law. Below are answers to some frequently asked questions.

January 22, 2002 2002-R-0077
OREGONā€™S ASSISTED SUICIDE LAW
By: Sandra Norman-Eady, Chief Attorney

I expect the Republic congress will be sticking their noses into Oregonā€™s assisted dying law, just as they have with the inter-state abortion issue, where they donā€™t belong .

Well thatā€™s why we need an informed and engaged electorate!
Rather than a bunch of nihilistic whiners crying about how unfair the system is, or how the dice are loaded.
So what?
The lesson?
We gotta work harder.
If we arenā€™t changing minds we are losing.

Iā€™m not sure how one can be ā€œdeeply certainā€. The only thing I can figure in which one is ā€œdeeply certainā€ would be in the case of say, stage 4 incurable cancer, in order to keep from suffering further, which would actually place it under euthanasia and not necessarily assisted suicide. IMHO, mental health shouldnā€™t be considered ā€œdeeply certainā€, because IMHO they are not in their right state of mind to make such a decision. I wouldnā€™t want my older son, with Bipolar disorder, to be able to off himself during a depressive episode.