Suicide

Why do we stop people from killing themselves? If that’s a decision that they wish to make, then who are we to be stopping them from doing so?

Part of it is the Judeo-Christian roots of Western culture. By and large, the J-C tradition assumes all life is a sacred gift from God and that taking one’s own life is thus an affront to God and a sin. Other cultures through history have had differing views.

That seems right. But honestly the reasons for its defense are kind of weak. They amount to promises that they can’t guarantee, and wanting to keep people who are suffering around is cruel.

I agree, ™. My brother is undergoing chemotherapy for liver cancer and it has been pretty brutal. Our oldest dog has liver cancer, and there’s no way my wife and I are putting her thought chemo. Sometimes our society treats pets better then people.

The devil is in the details. What if it were your child? What if they didn’t have a terminal diagnosis or a disability? How many people have you known who killed themselves out of the blue?
I’ve been there when people were helped on the out of their lives by their choosing because of a horrible existence that will not get better. But that it not the same as the many who commit suicide because of a temporary problem. Robin Williams comes to mind. How much did we all loose when he died? We’ll never know for sure, but I’m sure he would have continued to make the world a happier place, and humanity is poorer for his passing.
It’s just not a simple issue with easy answers.

It is actually pretty easy, and robin dying is pretty much the best thing that ever happened.
That aside, we don’t know what pushed him to that point. There is no reason to save someone who wants to end it

I agree, ™. My brother is undergoing chemotherapy for liver cancer and it has been pretty brutal. Our oldest dog has liver cancer, and there's no way my wife and I are putting her thought chemo. Sometimes our society treats pets better then people.
Indeed that's true--or at least with more compassion. This won't change until people stop seeing death as somethin that "god" must control, no matter wnat kind of pain a human is experiencing. Lois
The devil is in the details. What if it were your child? What if they didn't have a terminal diagnosis or a disability? How many people have you known who killed themselves out of the blue? I've been there when people were helped on the out of their lives by their choosing because of a horrible existence that will not get better. But that it not the same as the many who commit suicide because of a temporary problem. Robin Williams comes to mind. How much did we all loose when he died? We'll never know for sure, but I'm sure he would have continued to make the world a happier place, and humanity is poorer for his passing. It's just not a simple issue with easy answers.
True, if a person is not suffering a terminal illness. But there are other kinds of horrible pain. Emotional pain may be the worst. I keep thinking a civilized society should have a system that provides suicidal care, but it also presents so many knotty problems. I'm not sure there will ever be an answer. Free psychiatric care would certainly help, but that's not going to happen here anytime soon. It would raise taxes for one thing, and that's a big no-no. Much better to let people suffer and kill themselves than raise taxes. Lois
... There is no reason to save someone who wants to end it
Sometimes there is.

Not one that is beneficial to them. It’s more like for you.

It is actually pretty easy, and robin dying is pretty much the best thing that ever happened. That aside, we don't know what pushed him to that point. There is no reason to save someone who wants to end it
If you were the person contemplating suicide, your position is spot on.

It’s simple. If someone is badly ill and suffering from disease and their chances are slim then yes, suicide should be an option
for the person if they are lucid and they really wish it.
But this thread didn’t start with just terminal cases-it was just suicide in general.
The reason we stop people who are mentally distressed who want to kill themselves is because they could be helped and changed.
And later on they may very well be grateful that they didn’t kill themselves.
And their friends and families will also be very happy they didn’t kill themselves.
Yeah…that’s how humanity works. Hello? Nobody is happy about suicides.
It’s not a good thing or a positive outcome.

It's simple. If someone is badly ill and suffering from disease and their chances are slim then yes, suicide should be an option for the person if they are lucid and they really wish it. But this thread didn't start with just terminal cases-it was just suicide in general. The reason we stop people who are mentally distressed who want to kill themselves is because they could be helped and changed. And later on they may very well be grateful that they didn't kill themselves. And their friends and families will also be very happy they didn't kill themselves. Yeah...that's how humanity works. Hello? Nobody is happy about suicides. It's not a good thing or a positive outcome.
But thas not an excuse to stop them. Like I said, it is selfish to kee them around. Plus they're only "grateful" in hindsight. You never hear about the cases where people resent those who stopped them. Because it doesn't fit the narrative.
Not one that is beneficial to them. It's more like for you.
Usually a death places a burden on society in many areas. administrative, burial, dealing with secondary consequences. But anyone can walk into the desert, kill himself and let the vultures pick your bones. Of course a sudden disappearance of a person (without some kind of notice or explanation) sets in motion a search requiring manpower and use of public resources. So, if a person makes arrangements to end his/her life without causing a burden to society, I do agree that one should have the right to commit suicide.
But thas not an excuse to stop them. Like I said, it is selfish to kee them around.
Actually if we're dwelling strictly on the plane of "excuses"...yes. Yes that is an excuse to stop them. It's a really good excuse too.
Plus they're only "grateful" in hindsight.
Quick fact for ya: Everybody is grateful for anything that happens in hindsight. That's how grateful works. Secondly, who cares if they aren't grateful? I wouldn't. That's not the point. I'm sure friends and family and just possibly strangers would be grateful too....so there's that.
You never hear about the cases where people resent those who stopped them.
Yeah isn't that something.
It's simple. If someone is badly ill and suffering from disease and their chances are slim then yes, suicide should be an option for the person if they are lucid and they really wish it. But this thread didn't start with just terminal cases-it was just suicide in general. The reason we stop people who are mentally distressed who want to kill themselves is because they could be helped and changed. And later on they may very well be grateful that they didn't kill themselves. And their friends and families will also be very happy they didn't kill themselves. Yeah...that's how humanity works. Hello? Nobody is happy about suicides. It's not a good thing or a positive outcome.
Wow. For once, you and I are 100% on the same page.
But thas not an excuse to stop them. Like I said, it is selfish to kee them around.
Actually if we're dwelling strictly on the plane of "excuses"...yes. Yes that is an excuse to stop them. It's a really good excuse too. No it's not. It's just selfishness on your part for wanting to "save" them. But there is no reason to do so. Your excuse isn't an excuse
Plus they're only "grateful" in hindsight.
Quick fact for ya: Everybody is grateful for anything that happens in hindsight. That's how grateful works. Secondly, who cares if they aren't grateful? I wouldn't. That's not the point. I'm sure friends and family and just possibly strangers would be grateful too....so there's that.
You never hear about the cases where people resent those who stopped them.
Yeah isn't that something. Yeah you don't hear it because it doesn't fit the narrative. I'm sure there are those who resent people for "saving" them. The whole point is that it doesn't matter what friends or family think, if someone wants to die then let them. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Suicide is positive for the one doing it, it's release from pain. It's the height of idiocy to want to save and help someone who doesn't want it.