Donald Trump

Donald Trump’s lawyer threatens reporter over ex-wife’s allegations: ‘You cannot rape your spouse’
Campaign spokesman and attorney responds to resurfaced assertions of Ivana Trump ‘rape’ with vulgar tirade that political watcher says could undermine lead
A lawyer and spokesman for current Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump issued a series of vulgar threats to a reporter on Monday, while falsely claiming that it was legal for a husband to rape his wife in New York.
Michael Cohen, special counsel for the Trump Organization, threatened Canadian-American reporter Tim Mak of the Daily Beast with untold legal consequences in response to an article that resurfaced allegations that Trump had raped his then-wife Ivana.

The Donald got another key endorsement, this time from Ann Coulter!
Well, that's a nice feather in his cap, isn't it?
Donald Trump's lawyer threatens reporter over ex-wife's allegations: 'You cannot rape your spouse' Campaign spokesman and attorney responds to resurfaced assertions of Ivana Trump ‘rape’ with vulgar tirade that political watcher says could undermine lead A lawyer and spokesman for current Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump issued a series of vulgar threats to a reporter on Monday, while falsely claiming that it was legal for a husband to rape his wife in New York. Michael Cohen, special counsel for the Trump Organization, threatened Canadian-American reporter Tim Mak of the Daily Beast with untold legal consequences in response to an article that resurfaced allegations that Trump had raped his then-wife Ivana. http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jul/28/donald-trump-lawyer-threatens-reporter?CMP=ema_565
The only way it could undermine Trump's lead was if the GOP cared about women, and 'Team Rape' has clearly shown in the past that they don't.
The Donald got another key endorsement, this time from Ann Coulter!
Ouch! That's the kiss of death. (I feel so dirty, that I find her weirdly attractive despite her being the embodiment of pure Cheney-esque evil.)
Donald Trump's lawyer threatens reporter over ex-wife's allegations: 'You cannot rape your spouse' Campaign spokesman and attorney responds to resurfaced assertions of Ivana Trump ‘rape’ with vulgar tirade that political watcher says could undermine lead A lawyer and spokesman for current Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump issued a series of vulgar threats to a reporter on Monday, while falsely claiming that it was legal for a husband to rape his wife in New York. Michael Cohen, special counsel for the Trump Organization, threatened Canadian-American reporter Tim Mak of the Daily Beast with untold legal consequences in response to an article that resurfaced allegations that Trump had raped his then-wife Ivana. http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jul/28/donald-trump-lawyer-threatens-reporter?CMP=ema_565
The only way it could undermine Trump's lead was if the GOP cared about women, and 'Team Rape' has clearly shown in the past that they don't. As Trump said "Somebody's doing the raping." The GOP constituency may not care about raping as long as it's being done by American billionaires, American frat boys, American military cadets, and Americans like Bill Cosby, but they sure don't like the idea of Mexican immigrants doing any of the raping.

Coldheart, I’m glad someone other than me enjoys getting into the weeds of this political show. You might find this New Hampshire poll interesting. It breaks down the Repub constituency support for Trump and other Repub candidates, by the constituents’ identification as Tea Party or not and as conservative, moderate, etc.
http://www.monmouth.edu/assets/0/32212254770/32212254991/32212254992/32212254994/32212254995/30064771087/91f71597-b5fc-46cf-958e-e813091cd754.pdf

I guess here’s the thing so many in this thread are missing: politicians and elections ARE sideshows. Don’t pretend there’s any respectability to them as the pundits would have us believe. And don’t believe a candidates policy stance matters. It doesn’t. It’s a big joke. So why not just be honest and have a real clown in there? Vote Trump so everyone can finally realize it IS a clown show, Dems and Repubs alike (except for Warren and Sanders). Americans need to get over this myth that somehow politics and politicians are somehow sacrosanct, better than others, etc. Just like the SCOTUS myth. Once everyone realizes they’re a bunch of ideological scumbags, barely administering justice, we’ll be better off.

There is so much reality in your cynicism, Cuthbert that it is almost true. But it really does sometimes make a difference. The world would be a different place if Gore had been POTUS instead of W/Cheney (less climate change, no invasion and mismanagement of a fiasco of a war in Iraq). The world would be a different place if McCain had won over Obama (bomb-bomb-bomb, bomb-bomb Iran). And if Mitt had won over OBama, he would not be having a successful tour of Africa, right now, as is Obama. And in the next election, if a Repub gets in, so many progressive advances may get rolled back, and the Supreme Court, now ideologically on the edge of a knife could swing to the dark side.

Bloomberg says that Trump’s self-declared HUGE fortune of $10 Billion, is actually $2.9 Billion. He might need to have $1 Billion of liquidity, to seriously mount a campaign all the way through to the November election day of next year. And that could be mostly blown money, if, as is likely, he still loses. It doesn’t seem to make good business sense to me, to blow a third of your fortune, but then, I’m not the HUGELY rich businessman.

I guess here's the thing so many in this thread are missing: politicians and elections ARE sideshows. Don't pretend there's any respectability to them as the pundits would have us believe. And don't believe a candidates policy stance matters. It doesn't. It's a big joke. So why not just be honest and have a real clown in there? Vote Trump so everyone can finally realize it IS a clown show, Dems and Repubs alike (except for Warren and Sanders). Americans need to get over this myth that somehow politics and politicians are somehow sacrosanct, better than others, etc. Just like the SCOTUS myth. Once everyone realizes they're a bunch of ideological scumbags, barely administering justice, we'll be better off.
I don't feel like dying. I will turn 50 before the end of the next President's first term, when W cratered the economy, I nearly lost everything that I owned. Even after 8 years of Obama, I still don't make what could be considered a living wage. Handing the country over to a power mad shitstain like Trump would be an interesting academic exercise, but not one I'm interested in taking part in. I don't relish the idea of being homeless at 50+. These decisions have real human costs, both at home, and on the battlefront (which is what the GOP seems to want, perpetual war). I neither want to die to prove the mad dreams of the GOP are nightmares, nor do I wish anyone else to do so. If my life, and the lives of many, many others are to have any meaning at all, it cannot come from electing a nutbag who throws us into war for petty reasons. It can only come from having the opportunity to better ourselves. I will not claim that Hillary winning in '16 will ensure that, but it is a certainty that if Trump, or any of the other leading Republican contenders win, we will absolutely be denied it.
I guess here's the thing so many in this thread are missing: politicians and elections ARE sideshows. Don't pretend there's any respectability to them as the pundits would have us believe. And don't believe a candidates policy stance matters. It doesn't. It's a big joke. So why not just be honest and have a real clown in there? Vote Trump so everyone can finally realize it IS a clown show, Dems and Repubs alike (except for Warren and Sanders). Americans need to get over this myth that somehow politics and politicians are somehow sacrosanct, better than others, etc. Just like the SCOTUS myth. Once everyone realizes they're a bunch of ideological scumbags, barely administering justice, we'll be better off.
I don't feel like dying. I will turn 50 before the end of the next President's first term, when W cratered the economy, I nearly lost everything that I owned. Even after 8 years of Obama, I still don't make what could be considered a living wage. Handing the country over to a power mad shitstain like Trump would be an interesting academic exercise, but not one I'm interested in taking part in. I don't relish the idea of being homeless at 50+. These decisions have real human costs, both at home, and on the battlefront (which is what the GOP seems to want, perpetual war). I neither want to die to prove the mad dreams of the GOP are nightmares, nor do I wish anyone else to do so. If my life, and the lives of many, many others are to have any meaning at all, it cannot come from electing a nutbag who throws us into war for petty reasons. It can only come from having the opportunity to better ourselves. I will not claim that Hillary winning in '16 will ensure that, but it is a certainty that if Trump, or any of the other leading Republican contenders win, we will absolutely be denied it. If you're only 50, the Repubs have about 15 years in which to try to gain enough power to insure that you don't even get social security. And should they get more firmly embedded in the power structure, they will have more opportunity to decrease the likelihood that you will have access to reasonable healthcare, and to insure that any female progeny you may have does not have choice about her own body in case of pregnancy, and to limit her access to contraceptives, so that she is more likely need to make such a choice, a choice that she may not have. The Repubs will have the opportunity to promote more useless wars (as is their tendency). Wars that profit a few, but generally make life worse for the rest of us than it could have been. They will have the opportunity to insure that we continue to poison ourselves with the undesired leavings of uncontained industry and to insure that global warming will accelerate even more prodigiously, along with the greater human catastrophes that that will entail. And that is just a bit of the price to be paid for a convenient cynicism that portrays a false equivalency re: All politicians, All politics, All ideologies being equal in their "scumbag-iness" as Cuthbert suggests. But it IS a convenient excuse so as not to be concerned about anything political. So I can see the appeal.

In fairness, Cuthbert did make an exception for Warren and Sanders, so maybe there is hope for his redemption from cynicism.

If you're only 50, the Repubs have about 15 years in which to try to gain enough power to insure that you don't even get social security. And should they get more firmly embedded in the power structure, they will have more opportunity to decrease the likelihood that you will have access to reasonable healthcare, and to insure that any female progeny you may have does not have choice about her own body in case of pregnancy, and to limit her access to contraceptives, so that she is more likely need to make such a choice, a choice that she may not have. The Repubs will have the opportunity to promote more useless wars (as is their tendency). Wars that profit a few, but generally make life worse for the rest of us than it could have been. They will have the opportunity to insure that we continue to poison ourselves with the undesired leavings of uncontained industry and to insure that global warming will accelerate even more prodigiously, along with the greater human catastrophes that that will entail. And that is just a bit of the price to be paid for a convenient cynicism that portrays a false equivalency re: All politicians, All politics, All ideologies being equal in their "scumbag-iness" as Cuthbert suggests. But it IS a convenient excuse so as not to be concerned about anything political. So I can see the appeal.
Very well said. The recent SCOTUS decisions that went the right way were 5-4 votes, and don't forget the horrible Hobby Lobby and Citizens United rulings. Republicans appointed the ideologues who made those decisions. Corporations are not people and money is not speech.
In fairness, Cuthbert did make an exception for Warren and Sanders, so maybe there is hope for his redemption from cynicism.
I look at it like this: We had the dumbest of the dumb for POTUS (W), and possibly the smartest of the smart (BO), and what real difference did it make? The rich have still gotten richer, the poor poorer, we're still a completely militaristic country, education hating, and on an on. A few minor things have been allowed to occur, but that's about it. My cynicism comes primarily from Obama. I was excited, voted for him, was so happy when he got elected. And within months he showed his true colors as a Republican (old style, not the nutjob type). To me that says alot. We were played like fiddles. And this is also why I've posted so many times about electing a nutjob. I have a feeling that even if Trump got elected, he'd be steered by the powers that be into a certain direction that was similar to BO and W before him.
I look at it like this: We had the dumbest of the dumb for POTUS (W), and possibly the smartest of the smart (BO), and what real difference did it make? The rich have still gotten richer, the poor poorer, we're still a completely militaristic country, education hating, and on an on. A few minor things have been allowed to occur, but that's about it. My cynicism comes primarily from Obama. I was excited, voted for him, was so happy when he got elected. And within months he showed his true colors as a Republican (old style, not the nutjob type). To me that says alot. We were played like fiddles. And this is also why I've posted so many times about electing a nutjob. I have a feeling that even if Trump got elected, he'd be steered by the powers that be into a certain direction that was similar to BO and W before him. I recognize your reasons for being disenchanted. I think that I have the advantage of not being "enchanted" in the first place. Not that I didn't and not that I don't still do, literally, love Obama. I just recognize his limitations. There is no such thing as a magical wizard, who just by recognizing what needs to be changed, can instantly and unilaterally make it happen. You are right about the problems that have continued despite Obama, especially re: income disparity. But I think that you too readily dismiss how much worse thing could be had a Repub been President instead. I think that you, also, too readily dismiss the positive changes that have occurred. No other President in history ever got any kind of a national healthcare policy in place. People with pre-existing conditions can get healthcare now. Millions who couldn't afford it can get healthcare now. No one has to stay in a job that they don't really like, simply out of not being able to give up the health insurance they have with that job. That's not minor. Gay people can get officially married now in all 50 states! You don't think that a Repub Pres and Congress would find a way to undermine that? With the repubs denial of the existence of man-caused climate change, do you think we would not be so much worse off environmentally speaking with a Repub Pres and Congress? (And I think Obama is going to make some headway on that issue during the remainder of his term.) Re: the military, sure Obama keeps droning away, but do you seriously think that a Repub Pres and Congress would not have insured massively greater numbers of our soldiers getting killed, mangled, disabled, and mentally and emotionally devastated, by now? And it does not seem a minor difference to me, that the last Pres took us to the brink of another Great Depression, and the current one has presided over us coming out of that economic fiasco. I could go on, but my point is IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE - IT HAS MADE A DIFFERENCE, to have a pragmatic, clear thinking person who cares about people, in general, to be POTUS. And if you are concerned about being "played like a fiddle" as you say, you might want to rethink your choice of someone like Donald Trump as POTUS.
I look at it like this: We had the dumbest of the dumb for POTUS (W), and possibly the smartest of the smart (BO), and what real difference did it make? The rich have still gotten richer, the poor poorer, we're still a completely militaristic country, education hating, and on an on. A few minor things have been allowed to occur, but that's about it. My cynicism comes primarily from Obama. I was excited, voted for him, was so happy when he got elected. And within months he showed his true colors as a Republican (old style, not the nutjob type). To me that says alot. We were played like fiddles. And this is also why I've posted so many times about electing a nutjob. I have a feeling that even if Trump got elected, he'd be steered by the powers that be into a certain direction that was similar to BO and W before him. I recognize your reasons for being disenchanted. I think that I have the advantage of not being "enchanted" in the first place. Not that I didn't and not that I don't still do, literally, love Obama. I just recognize his limitations. There is no such thing as a magical wizard, who just by recognizing what needs to be changed, can instantly and unilaterally make it happen. You are right about the problems that have continued despite Obama, especially re: income disparity. But I think that you too readily dismiss how much worse thing could be had a Repub been President instead. I think that you, also, too readily dismiss the positive changes that have occurred. No other President in history ever got any kind of a national healthcare policy in place. People with pre-existing conditions can get healthcare now. Millions who couldn't afford it can get healthcare now. No one has to stay in a job that they don't really like, simply out of not being able to give up the health insurance they have with that job. That's not minor. Gay people can get officially married now in all 50 states! You don't think that a Repub Pres and Congress would find a way to undermine that? With the repubs denial of the existence of man-caused climate change, do you think we would not be so much worse off environmentally speaking with a Repub Pres and Congress? (And I think Obama is going to make some headway on that issue during the remainder of his term.) Re: the military, sure Obama keeps droning away, but do you seriously think that a Repub Pres and Congress would not have insured massively greater numbers of our soldiers getting killed, mangled, disabled, and mentally and emotionally devastated, by now? And it does not seem a minor difference to me, that the last Pres took us to the brink of another Great Depression, and the current one has presided over us coming out of that economic fiasco. I could go on, but my point is IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE - IT HAS MADE A DIFFERENCE, to have a pragmatic, clear thinking person who cares about people, in general, to be POTUS. And if you are concerned about being "played like a fiddle" as you say, you might want to rethink your choice of someone like Donald Trump as POTUS.Well I guess "better of two evils" does have it's merits. As for healthcare reform, it's not healthCARE reform it's health insurance reform. Two different things. And Obamacare is nothing more than a Republican plan. He actually said it himself at a press conference where he wondered out loud why so many Repubs were against him..."...I don't understand, this is the same program Republicans tried to push through a few years ago...". Now people have the right to get insurance whose premiums will bankrupt them! And that's without getting a stitch of actual healthCARE. It was a pure handout to the insurance industry - capitalistic greed at it's worst - from Obama!
Well I guess "better of two evils" does have it's merits. As for healthcare reform, it's not healthCARE reform it's health insurance reform. Two different things. And Obamacare is nothing more than a Republican plan. He actually said it himself at a press conference where he wondered out loud why so many Repubs were against him..."...I don't understand, this is the same program Republicans tried to push through a few years ago...". Now people have the right to get insurance whose premiums will bankrupt them! And that's without getting a stitch of actual healthCARE. It was a pure handout to the insurance industry - capitalistic greed at it's worst - from Obama!
You must be ignoring the many people, like my brother, who have insurance only because of the ACA. He was diagnosed with Stage IV liver cancer one year ago and was able to obtain affordable insurance to cover his chemotherapy. I agree the ACA is not the best we can do but under the circumstances it is an excellent start to true health care reform in this country.
I look at it like this: We had the dumbest of the dumb for POTUS (W), and possibly the smartest of the smart (BO), and what real difference did it make? The rich have still gotten richer, the poor poorer, we're still a completely militaristic country, education hating, and on an on. A few minor things have been allowed to occur, but that's about it. My cynicism comes primarily from Obama. I was excited, voted for him, was so happy when he got elected. And within months he showed his true colors as a Republican (old style, not the nutjob type). To me that says alot. We were played like fiddles. And this is also why I've posted so many times about electing a nutjob. I have a feeling that even if Trump got elected, he'd be steered by the powers that be into a certain direction that was similar to BO and W before him. I recognize your reasons for being disenchanted. I think that I have the advantage of not being "enchanted" in the first place. Not that I didn't and not that I don't still do, literally, love Obama. I just recognize his limitations. There is no such thing as a magical wizard, who just by recognizing what needs to be changed, can instantly and unilaterally make it happen. You are right about the problems that have continued despite Obama, especially re: income disparity. But I think that you too readily dismiss how much worse thing could be had a Repub been President instead. I think that you, also, too readily dismiss the positive changes that have occurred. No other President in history ever got any kind of a national healthcare policy in place. People with pre-existing conditions can get healthcare now. Millions who couldn't afford it can get healthcare now. No one has to stay in a job that they don't really like, simply out of not being able to give up the health insurance they have with that job. That's not minor. Gay people can get officially married now in all 50 states! You don't think that a Repub Pres and Congress would find a way to undermine that? With the repubs denial of the existence of man-caused climate change, do you think we would not be so much worse off environmentally speaking with a Repub Pres and Congress? (And I think Obama is going to make some headway on that issue during the remainder of his term.) Re: the military, sure Obama keeps droning away, but do you seriously think that a Repub Pres and Congress would not have insured massively greater numbers of our soldiers getting killed, mangled, disabled, and mentally and emotionally devastated, by now? And it does not seem a minor difference to me, that the last Pres took us to the brink of another Great Depression, and the current one has presided over us coming out of that economic fiasco. I could go on, but my point is IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE - IT HAS MADE A DIFFERENCE, to have a pragmatic, clear thinking person who cares about people, in general, to be POTUS. And if you are concerned about being "played like a fiddle" as you say, you might want to rethink your choice of someone like Donald Trump as POTUS.Well I guess "better of two evils" does have it's merits. As for healthcare reform, it's not healthCARE reform it's health insurance reform. Two different things. And Obamacare is nothing more than a Republican plan. He actually said it himself at a press conference where he wondered out loud why so many Repubs were against him..."...I don't understand, this is the same program Republicans tried to push through a few years ago...". Now people have the right to get insurance whose premiums will bankrupt them! And that's without getting a stitch of actual healthCARE. It was a pure handout to the insurance industry - capitalistic greed at it's worst - from Obama! I think that you give a somewhat reasonable criticism of the ACA, but again, it is something that was, just barely doable (in the real context of Repubs trying to blow it to bits every step of the way) [i]as opposed to nothing, and doing nothing would have been worse. And, hopefully, it will, ultimately, be a step toward single party payer. Again, if you believe that a POTUS can single handedly and immediately change the structure of our greed-ridden capitalistic structure, you are living in a fairy tale land where someone like Donald Trump can make all kinds of extraordinary claims about what he will do, and it will actually come true... just don't wake up from that Walt Disney dream. The real world is not so magical, so you will wind up complaining about there not being enough magic in the world.
... We can all be grateful for that modicum of sense among the electorate. Lois
In the general election, I would say that the electorate usually shows a modicum of sense, but even there, it is often a close call either way. (Would you suggest that an electorate that elected George W. Bush TWICE!, had a modicum of sense?) As far as the Republican primary electorate having a modicum of sense? Uhh... I wouldn't bet on that. Although the RNC and the general system usually results in the Republicans putting forth one of their most nationally presentable figures (although that may not be saying much) forth as their Presidential nominee, Trump is, currently, at least, throwing the general system on its head. Correction: Bush wasn't elected twice. He was elected once and appointed once by the Supreme Court, which didn't have jurisdiction. They stopped the votes from being counted and handed the election to Bush. LL
Bloomberg says that Trump's self-declared HUGE fortune of $10 Billion, is actually $2.9 Billion. He might need to have $1 Billion of liquidity, to seriously mount a campaign all the way through to the November election day of next year. And that could be mostly blown money, if, as is likely, he still loses. It doesn't seem to make good business sense to me, to blow a third of your fortune, but then, I'm not the HUGELY rich businessman.
If he's worth $10 billion he'd better be paying taxes on $10 billion! I'll bet at tax time the $10 billion suddenly shrinks. Lois