CVS quits Chamber of Commerce over cigarette lobbying

CVS quits Chamber of Commerce over cigarette lobbying
CVS Health Corp., which was the first drugstore chain to stop selling tobacco products, has resigned from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in response to news that the chamber and its affiliates were undertaking a global lobbying campaign against anti-smoking laws. [Hakim D. CVS Health quits U.S. Chamber over stance on smoking. The New York Times, July 7, 2015] In a letter to the New York Times, the chamber claimed that it wants people to stop smoking but was fighting “measures that . . . single out one industry for discriminatory treatment." A report from the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids lays bare the history of the Chamber’s pro-tobacco activities.

So why is John Oliver the only one to open a dialogue concerning this international health problem? Tobacco lobby perhaps?
Cap’t Jack

I am glad CVS is doing that but there is nothing altruistic in their efforts. CVS has decided there is more money to be made in healthcare then there was in poisoning their customers but it took them a long time to figure that out. They are hoping that by giving vaccines in their pharmacies and employing nurse practitioners to do the jobs of doctors for pennies on the dollar you will also buy your meds, magazines, and umbrellas while you’re there.
When it served their purpose they sold tobacco and now that it doesn’t they are trying to act like they are everyone’s health advocate. Its all about the money with them just as it is with any large company. Those same CVS stores are also selling plenty of useless holistic remedies and herbal supplements that do no one any good but its financially expedient so they do it. They only care about their public image and heir financial health not the actual health of their customers.

I am glad CVS is doing that but there is nothing altruistic in their efforts. CVS has decided there is more money to be made in healthcare then there was in poisoning their customers but it took them a long time to figure that out. They are hoping that by giving vaccines in their pharmacies and employing nurse practitioners to do the jobs of doctors for pennies on the dollar you will also buy your meds, magazines, and umbrellas while you're there. When it served their purpose they sold tobacco and now that it doesn't they are trying to act like they are everyone's health advocate. Its all about the money with them just as it is with any large company. Those same CVS stores are also selling plenty of useless holistic remedies and herbal supplements that do no one any good but its financially expedient so they do it. They only care about their public image and heir financial health not the actual health of their customers.
True enough. And oddly, like I posted in one of the Trump threads, this type of thing might be the saving grace if he does get elected. He'll do the right thing for the wrong reasons.
I am glad CVS is doing that but there is nothing altruistic in their efforts. CVS has decided there is more money to be made in healthcare then there was in poisoning their customers but it took them a long time to figure that out. They are hoping that by giving vaccines in their pharmacies and employing nurse practitioners to do the jobs of doctors for pennies on the dollar you will also buy your meds, magazines, and umbrellas while you're there. When it served their purpose they sold tobacco and now that it doesn't they are trying to act like they are everyone's health advocate. Its all about the money with them just as it is with any large company. Those same CVS stores are also selling plenty of useless holistic remedies and herbal supplements that do no one any good but its financially expedient so they do it. They only care about their public image and heir financial health not the actual health of their customers.
It seems to me, though, that any business that sells health care products should put health first at all times. The very least they could do is to stop selling tobacco. Holistic "medicine" is in a different category and requires a different approach, but holistic medicines are not sold in the quantities that tobacco products are. I would wager that drugstores don't make a fraction of their profits in holistic medicine that they make selling tobacco products. I can't criticize CVS for taking a step in the right direction, even if it isn't completely altruistic and is only one step. Rome wasn't built in a day. Lois

It’s been a while since I’ve been in a CVS, but if they want their stores to double as a “healthcare” agent, shouldn’t they also pull sodas and all the other garbage they sell? You can’t just stop at cigarettes and think that’s the end of it, if you truly want to create an image of health and lead by example.
*Just saw I commented on an old thread…sorry.

Just thought I’d add, since the thread popped up, and in case folks didn’t know, the US Chamber of Commerce is a sham organization using a government sounding name to legitimize itself. It’s really just another lobbying group, quite un-American really, if you look at what dirty deeds it’s really up to.

CVS quits Chamber of Commerce over cigarette lobbying CVS Health Corp., which was the first drugstore chain to stop selling tobacco products, has resigned from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in response to news that the chamber and its affiliates were undertaking a global lobbying campaign against anti-smoking laws. [Hakim D. CVS Health quits U.S. Chamber over stance on smoking. The New York Times, July 7, 2015] In a letter to the New York Times, the chamber claimed that it wants people to stop smoking but was fighting “measures that . . . single out one industry for discriminatory treatment." A report from the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids lays bare the history of the Chamber's pro-tobacco activities. Quackwatch.org ###
The CofC is nothing but a right wing faction of the GOP