Cuba

It darn well took long enough. But ending the Cuban embargo… Great move, Mr. President! Now we can only hope that Congress doesn’t find a way to scuttle it.
(Note: The above statement represents my opinion. Any one else that think this is an extraordinarily significant decision? … or good or bad or unimportant?)

It darn well took long enough. But ending the Cuban embargo... Great move, Mr. President! Now we can only hope that Congress doesn't find a way to scuttle it. (Note: The above statement represents my opinion. Any one else that think this is an extraordinarily significant decision? ... or good or bad or unimportant?)
From what I've heard, Congress has to approve. Will they? Will Republicans in Congress vote for anything Obama wants? I think it would be a significant decision to at least open negotiaions and see how cooperative Cuba might be. I don't trust the Cuban government, but maybe something can be worked out to get the ball rolling. It would be a great opportinity or investment. But the Cuban government is still communist. They aren't going to suddenly become reliable. Lois
It darn well took long enough. But ending the Cuban embargo... Great move, Mr. President! Now we can only hope that Congress doesn't find a way to scuttle it. (Note: The above statement represents my opinion. Any one else that think this is an extraordinarily significant decision? ... or good or bad or unimportant?)
From what I've heard, Congress has to approve. Will they? Will Republicans in Congress vote for anything Obama wants? I think it would be a significant decision to at least open negotiaions and see how cooperative Cuba might be. I don't trust the Cuban government, but maybe something can be worked out to get the ball rolling. It would be a great opportinity or investment. But the Cuban government is still communist. They aren't going to suddenly become reliable. LoisI couldn't let that last statement stand: "But the Cuban government is still communist. They aren't going to suddenly become reliable." Sometimes LoisL you say the darnedest things, as if this statement is true: "The US government is capitalist and always reliable." If history is any judge, the Cubans should be running in fear of the coming US corporate takeover. I do think though that Obama was brilliant on this one. Russia's economy is tanking, Putin can very easily say it was the US that did it, and proceed to restore relations with Cuba and gin up cold war era tactics. With the US and Cuba buddies, he can't do that (easily). Although I'm sure the Repubs will put a stop to it and give their bare chested lover an opening.

Probably won’t be any signifigant difference, except Cuban cigars will become less expensive, I guess.
I’m interested to see how Cuban-Americans play their identity politics in light of it.

Politically, the Cuban American population in Florida, could still have the most influence, as Florida is an early primary state. However, the Cuban Americans are, themselves, split on this. The more freakishly “conservative” Republican aspirants to the Presidency, that are being vocal in their opposition, e.g., Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz are opposed by the relatively logical Rand Paul who views it as a good move. (Ironically he accused Marco Rubio of being an isolationist on this issue.)

From what I've heard, Congress has to approve. Will they? Will Republicans in Congress vote for anything Obama wants? I think it would be a significant decision to at least open negotiaions and see how cooperative Cuba might be. I don't trust the Cuban government, but maybe something can be worked out to get the ball rolling. It would be a great opportinity or investment. But the Cuban government is still communist. They aren't going to suddenly become reliable. LoisI couldn't let that last statement stand: "But the Cuban government is still communist. They aren't going to suddenly become reliable." Sometimes LoisL you say the darnedest things, as if this statement is true: "The US government is capitalist and always reliable." No, it certainy isn't reliable in many ways,, though any democratic country is more reliable than a dictatoship, IMO If history is any judge, the Cubans should be running in fear of the coming US corporate takeover. In many ways, that's true, though for all its faults, controlled capitalismm would raise Cuba's economy a hudredfold. If they would form a democratic government Cuba could be a jewel of the Caribbean and the people would benefit greatly. There are always downsides to any change, but this would confer more good than bad to the population. I do think though that Obama was brilliant on this one. Russia's economy is tanking, Putin can very easily say it was the US that did it, and proceed to restore relations with Cuba and gin up cold war era tactics. With the US and Cuba buddies, he can't do that (easily). Although I'm sure the Repubs will put a stop to it and give their bare chested lover an opening. With that I agree. Lois