Critique My Philosophy of Life?

Are these actions uncaused? Unless I'm mistaken, the compatibilist and the determinist will tend to answer "yes."
I do not like the 'black or white' character of your question. Say I repeat the experiment with the green ball 1000 times and find: 712 times it flies to the right after the collision, 245 times it flies off to the left, 43 times it doesn't move. So in statistical boundaries that is the same result as you describe. So what is determined is a chance distribution. So is the event determined? Yes, partially. Is it uncaused? Yes, but not totally. Now where our standpoint differs in which of both 'partial answers' we see the possibility of free will. As I understand you, you see it in the uncaused aspect, whereas I see it in the determined part. The point is, I don't subscribe to the idea that free will would mean 'could have done otherwise' in the rigid metaphysical meaning, that given a certain set of conditions, the exact effect is not determined. Or so as you say it here]:
...determinism eliminates one of the requirements for free will: The ability to act differently without regard to preceding conditions.
That is not a requirement for me. What I require is that I recognise my actions as following from my own wishes and beliefs. Given my wishes and beliefs, it would be astonishing that I (undetermined) would do something else in exactly the same situation. It would mean that my action has nothing to with me. Let's take the idea of the 'chance distribution'. My wishes and beliefs determine a small spectrum of possible actions. Say I like vanilla and strawberry ice cream. I have the choice between vanilla, strawberry and nougat, which I do not like at all. So my chance distribution would be: 50% vanilla, 50% strawberry, 0% nougat. Now the free will aspect for me is that it is determined that I will not take the nougat. That is determined by my disgust of it. Now I can't choose between vanilla and strawberry, I like them both. So I just 'randomly' say I'll take the strawberry. But exactly that is not a great example of expressing free will. I would also recognise a choice for vanilla as my own action. So the random element, even if it is there, is not the reason to see my choice as an expression of free will. It is my determined decisiveness not to take the nougat, and at least to choose for the vanilla or the strawberry ice cream that makes my choice an expression of free will. Now I think it is telling that you have to turn to a nearly science fiction example to show why the compatibilist notion of free will does not work. I hope I understood you correctly that you say: imagine somebody manipulates my actions not by opposing my wishes and beliefs, but by actually changing them. In that case you would say that the compatibilist notion that my wishes and beliefs cause my actions still applies, but at the same time it is clear that I am coerced. But in your example my wishes and beliefs are determined in the wrong way. If they did not arise by my own observations, by arguments and experiences I have, they cannot count as my actions. If I would commit a crime because you used such a device on me, and it would turn out that you did this, I would not recognise my action as my action anymore. So would a judge. I am not morally culpable because I was manipulated, even if I originally thought I committed the crime motivated by my own convictions.
I don't mind the ball analogy at all; I have done it myself before. It's what he is after that is wrong. Were he to leave QM out of it, I wouldn't have said a thing. None of us here has the slightest idea how indeterminism is relevant to QM and what he is doing is simply laughable. So why not add another joke? My model of being in two places and referencing QM is exactly the same thing as him implying that free will is possible because of QM.
Your reactions were already wrong before Bryan mentioned QM. You reacted as if Bryan did say something about the world, where he did only explain his concept of (in)determinism. I do not see a problem in that: in science, building complex hypotheses with certain concepts is normal praxis. If the hypothesis turns out to be correct, and so if the concepts apply is a matter of experimental or observational research. But therefore you must first understand the concepts, how could you otherwise ever test a hypothesis? How can one test something one does not understand? But of course you touch on a point I never understood with Bryan. 1. LFW supposes that we are not (completely) determined. 2. QM shows the world is not (completely) determined. 3. QM is not the basis of LFW. So then I would say for all practical purposes we can assume a determined world, because QM does not play a role. As long as Bryan cannot name the indeterminist element in reality, his 'model' just does not apply on our real world.

I think we all understand what indeterminism means and I am pretty sure none us here has the slightest clue how it applies to QM. The reactions on the quantum level are nothing like what we can see in our world and his analogy is therefore not appropriate. Do atoms (balls) really react the way he describes it in his “model”? Of course not. So what does that have to do with anything? Is the “concept” of indeterminism the same on the quantum level as it we understand it in our world? Does even 1+1 equal 2 on the quantum level? Wanna talk philosophy? Leave QM out of it.

And I responded BECAUSE I knew he was trying to bring QM into his “model.” No idea where you are getting from me responding before he mentioned QM. He didn’t explicitly say so, but I knew it was a duck because it quacked like a duck. And I was right. His “model” had everything to do with QM.

OK.
I just think that is a good habit in a philosophical discussion to wait till the duck is mentioned, or if you suspect one, explicitly ask if it was meant like that.
BTW: philosophy would be a very stupid activity if it does not take the present state of science into account. Of course QM is science, not philosophy, but to know that determinism is not true for everything in reality is a point philosophy should deal with. Especially when physicists draw philosophical conclusions from quantum indeterminacy. Like Simon van der Meer]: ‘We have free will because of the noise in the brain.’ (He said this in an interview in a Dutch newspaper, long ago when he got the Nobel price). BTW, that sounds like Bryan’s position in a nutshell. Let’s see if that is what he means.

I don’t care if Bryan or anyone else brings QM into their philosophical discussion, but it has to make sense and it must be relevant. Free will has nothing to do with QM, no matter how much he twists it. And I don’t need to wait until he explicitly mentions the “duck” because I have heard about his “model” many times before.

I don't care if Bryan or anyone else brings QM into their philosophical discussion, but it has to make sense and it must be relevant. Free will has nothing to do with QM, no matter how much he twists it. And I don't need to wait until he explicitly mentions the "duck" because I have heard about his "model" many times before.
I challenge you to find a claim from me that uses QM to explain LFW (anywhere, not just here). The duck is in your imagination.
I just think that is a good habit in a philosophical discussion to wait till the duck is mentioned, or if you suspect one, explicitly ask if it was meant like that.
That is sage advice, and thanks for supporting my method of arguing (if not the conclusion).
BTW: philosophy would be a very stupid activity if it does not take the present state of science into account. Of course QM is science, not philosophy, but to know that determinism is not true for everything in reality is a point philosophy should deal with. Especially when physicists draw philosophical conclusions from quantum indeterminacy. Like Simon van der Meer]: 'We have free will because of the noise in the brain.' (He said this in an interview in a Dutch newspaper, long ago when he got the Nobel price). BTW, that sounds like Bryan's position in a nutshell. Let's see if that is what he means.
The source indeterminism in mental activity doesn't concern me so much. The thing that concerns me is offering a coherent account of LFW. And that's because it is often argued that LFW is incoherent (with one version asserting that it is incoherent with respect to causation). Brain activity that results from non-mental events can't support LFW unless that "random" event *is* the brain activity (rather than a prior cause outside the self). That's the obvious reply to the attempt to justify LFW according to quantum random events, so I don't bother. Aside to George: Quack. (edited above to eliminate a harmful ambiguity)
I do not like the 'black or white' character of your question.
I tried to leave opportunities to occupy a gray area by simply asking a one-pronged question and allowing that I may be mistaken about the answer. :-)
Say I repeat the experiment with the green ball 1000 times and find: 712 times it flies to the right after the collision, 245 times it flies off to the left, 43 times it doesn't move. So in statistical boundaries that is the same result as you describe. So what is determined is a chance distribution. So is the event determined? Yes, partially. Is it uncaused? Yes, but not totally. Now where our standpoint differs in which of both 'partial answers' we see the possibility of free will. As I understand you, you see it in the uncaused aspect, whereas I see it in the determined part.
What you're describing is not determinism. Determinism requires the same precise outcome from the same set of starting conditions (allowing for discrete segments of time to allow for determinism beyond classical). The type of determinism you're now describing can be all-encompassing because even completely random events can be said to be "determined" in the sense you're now using (determined to be completely random).
The point is, I don't subscribe to the idea that free will would mean 'could have done otherwise' in the rigid metaphysical meaning, that given a certain set of conditions, the exact effect is not determined. Or so as you say it here:
...determinism eliminates one of the requirements for free will: The ability to act differently without regard to preceding conditions.
Right. You're a compatibilist. And a determinism that included indeterminism wouldn't bother you with regard to free will so long as control was involved (which I see you confirm below). :-)
That is not a requirement for me. What I require is that I recognise my actions as following from my own wishes and beliefs. Given my wishes and beliefs, it would be astonishing that I (undetermined) would do something else in exactly the same situation. It would mean that my action has nothing to with me.
Galen Strawson more careful than you are about trying to move around the location of randomness in the LFW conception of free will. Once you place it subsequent to the entity's decision to act, you're no longer using the LFW model that anyone uses except for straw man manufacturers. The LFW advocate requires control just as much as the proponent of CFW. The difference is that the LFW advocate won't find free will in a scenario that is causally determined by preceding conditions outside the control of the subject. But you'd find the type of free will you accept (CFW).
Let's take the idea of the 'chance distribution'. My wishes and beliefs determine a small spectrum of possible actions. Say I like vanilla and strawberry ice cream. I have the choice between vanilla, strawberry and nougat, which I do not like at all. So my chance distribution would be: 50% vanilla, 50% strawberry, 0% nougat. Now the free will aspect for me is that it is determined that I will not take the nougat. That is determined by my disgust of it. Now I can't choose between vanilla and strawberry, I like them both. So I just 'randomly' say I'll take the strawberry. But exactly that is not a great example of expressing free will.
I'd identify this type of example as useful in drawing the distinction between libertarian free action and morally responsible libertarian free action. The important point here is where the decision originates. If it originates with your non-determined desire for either vanilla or strawberry ice cream, then it's free will but has no discernible moral dimension. If you choose vanilla because you're concerned about the use of "blood strawberries" (something I just made up that's conceptually related to "blood diamonds") then there's a moral dimension. And that likely affects the probability distribution (maybe you're not sure blood strawberries are real or rumor!).
I would also recognise a choice for vanilla as my own action. So the random element, even if it is there, is not the reason to see my choice as an expression of free will. It is my determined decisiveness not to take the nougat, and at least to choose for the vanilla or the strawberry ice cream that makes my choice an expression of free will.
You're arguing against the "could have done otherwise" element of LFW, but your presentation is a tad ambiguous. Are you drawing a distinction between being "determined" to choose vanilla 50 percent of the time/strawberry 50 percent of the time and a random event? If so, I don't see the distinction.
Now I think it is telling that you have to turn to a nearly science fiction example to show why the compatibilist notion of free will does not work.
What some people will take as significant evidence! I'm a big fan of science fiction, and I'm a fan of outlandishly memorable illustrations. Could I choose the mundane instead of the interesting? I suppose so, but apparently I'm determined to pick the sensational more often than not. ;-) Obvious mind-control scenarios carry a strong illustrative punch. Therefore I'm desperate or something? Please. Address it by explaining why the controlled individual does not have CFW without special pleading. It makes you look desperate to avoid the issue when you focus on the outlandishness of the illustration. http://www.nbcnews.com/science/mind-meld-scientist-uses-his-brain-control-another-guys-finger-8C11015078 (next step for science: mind-meld scientist uses his brain to control another guy's decision to move his finger)
I hope I understood you correctly that you say: imagine somebody manipulates my actions not by opposing my wishes and beliefs, but by actually changing them. In that case you would say that the compatibilist notion that my wishes and beliefs cause my actions still applies, but at the same time it is clear that I am coerced.
That's the idea.
But in your example my wishes and beliefs are determined in the wrong way. If they did not arise by my own observations, by arguments and experiences I have, they cannot count as my actions.
You're having the experience of having your mind controlled. How is that not your experience? Would you prefer it if the scientist brainwashes you with a movie? Then it's plainly your own experience that leads you to do as the diabolical Professor Science commands. I don't know what type of mental argument you conceive that can't be yours. Are you imagining Professor Science as an extra entity in the victim's head? Bottom line: It's vague to me the basis on which you argue the reasoning isn't truly yours. I suspect if it's not special pleading it might pass as "No True Scotsman." I hope you'll take the opportunity to draw a clear distinction.
If I would commit a crime because you used such a device on me, and it would turn out that you did this, I would not recognise my action as my action anymore.
You underestimate me. I'd make sure to use the machine to remind you that you performed the action with complete CFW. :-)
So would a judge.
You've got me there, if the judge believes in LFW. But what if he's a compatibilist? In that case he'd have to come up with some sort of argument why you're not responsible, and he can't appeal to himself, can he?
I am not morally culpable because I was manipulated, even if I originally thought I committed the crime motivated by my own convictions.
All willful actions of a compatibilist are manipulated. The question is why it makes a difference whether the manipulation is done consciously as a means to an end or unconsciously as a matter of happenstance. The compatibilist's requirement for control is met. Why isn't it CFW? And why isn't it possible that happenstance manipulation could make it so you do not recognize your own prior actions?

Randomness is a human construct. It only exists through the human point of view.
It’s a definition of what we can’t quantize.

But why did subject P reject the desire to perform action X?
Because subject P wanted to resist. And so the regress is going to kick in, why did subject P want to resist?
It will be due to something out of his control.
Explain how that works.
Either the want just appears out of the blue in which case the want itself is out of the agents control or we have a regress back to something out of the agents control.
It doesn't matter where or when that something is placed.
Great. That will make it easy for you to explain how it works.
If something out of our control manipulates the want, it makes no difference whether that was 1 second before the want or 1 million years before, it's still our good or bad fortune which way that something turned out. The same applies if the want appears out of the blue. All that matters is the want is manipulated by circumstances beyond our control or simply is a circumstance beyond our control.
And if you say it does, that is just special pleading of your own.
Well, you've got it all figured out. Now if you can just explain it coherently.
The compatibilist says yes all wants are manipulated but some are manipulated in the wrong way. You're calling that special pleading. Well in your example either the want is manipulated by circumstances beyond our control or it just appears out of the blue which still is out of our control.
But why did subject P reject the desire to perform action X?
Because subject P wanted to resist. And so the regress is going to kick in, why did subject P want to resist? The regress kicks in if classical determinism is true. But we're not assuming that, are we? Why do we need a sufficient cause if we're not assuming causal determinism?
It will be due to something out of his control.
Explain how that works.
Either the want just appears out of the blue in which case the want itself is out of the agents control or we have a regress back to something out of the agents control.
You're asserting something I've asked you to explain, modified only to put it in terms of a dilemma. If we need a prior cause outside the agent's control then the prior cause would be out of the agent's control. Why do we need a prior cause outside the agent's control?
It doesn't matter where or when that something is placed.
Great. That will make it easy for you to explain how it works.
If something out of our control manipulates the want, it makes no difference whether that was 1 second before the want or 1 million years before, it's still our good or bad fortune which way that something turned out. The same applies if the want appears out of the blue.
What is "out of the blue"? If the agent wants something then this is, by definition, in accord with what the agent wants. Therefore it's in the agent's control by definition. Do we need to want a want for the want to be in our control? And do wants automatically result in actions?
All that matters is the want is manipulated by circumstances beyond our control or simply is a circumstance beyond our control.
You're suggesting a false dilemma based on an oversimplication and an over-complication. Unbidden wants are completely compatible with LFW. But LFW requires control of a want that corresponds to an outcome as well as the ability to do otherwise. I'll give you an example after you stay true to your pattern of response.
And if you say it does, that is just special pleading of your own.
Well, you've got it all figured out. Now if you can just explain it coherently.
The compatibilist says yes all wants are manipulated but some are manipulated in the wrong way. You're calling that special pleading. Well in your example either the want is manipulated by circumstances beyond our control or it just appears out of the blue which still is out of our control.
It's not special pleading because I can name the principle behind the pleading whereas the compatibilist (it appears) cannot. A prior cause isn't required for a want resulting in a decision because we're not assuming causal determinism. No sufficient cause for the want is needed, and the want is in the agent's control by definition. It will track statistically as random ("out of the blue"), but that's exactly what LFW is supposed to produce. It's okay for any desires prior to the desire resulting in the decision to fall outside the agent's control. (edited to fix formatting issues in two spots)
What you're describing is not determinism.
No, of course not. I was giving my interpretation of your coloured balls example, in which you explicitly put a strong element of indeterminism.
Galen Strawson more careful than you are about trying to move around the location of randomness in the LFW conception of free will. Once you place it subsequent to the entity's decision to act, you're no longer using the LFW model that anyone uses except for straw man manufacturers.
OK, I stand corrected, thanks for the clarification. However, it doesn't make a huge difference. According to you it is my random arising of wishes and beliefs that make me free. Sorry, that does not work for me. A complete chaotic character, then doing this, then doing that is free, but the person who is consistent in his wishes, beliefs and actions, is able to give the reasons why he acts as he does, is not? What does the first person say when he is asked for the reasons for his actions? "Oh it just popped up in my mind that I wanted to do this, no special reason."
You're arguing against the "could have done otherwise" element of LFW, but your presentation is a tad ambiguous. Are you drawing a distinction between being "determined" to choose vanilla 50 percent of the time/strawberry 50 percent of the time and a random event? If so, I don't see the distinction.
I don't see what you do not understand. The determined element is I do not take the nougat because I despise of it. The random element is the choice for vanilla or strawberry. Because I like both I have no special reason to take one or the other. Having no reason and just take one of both is not a specially strong example of an expression of free will. As such, being forced to take vanilla by somebody else is also not a very strong example of confining my free will. I could have taken it anyway. Your bringing in "blood strawberry ice cream" does not add anything. That would very clearly make a distinction between vanilla and strawberry, and I would have a strong reason to take the vanilla.
I hope I understood you correctly that you say: imagine somebody manipulates my actions not by opposing my wishes and beliefs, but by actually changing them. In that case you would say that the compatibilist notion that my wishes and beliefs cause my actions still applies, but at the same time it is clear that I am coerced.
That's the idea.
Right. Then the answer is rather easy: as long as I am able to give reasons for my actions, and therefore take the responsibility for my actions, I am morally culpable for my actions. As I said some pages back, responsibility is the ability to give reasons for my behaviour. It all boils down to that I am not responsible for who I am, but for what I do. You, as a mean manipulator of my brain, are not much different from my genes. My genes 'forced me' not to like nougat ice cream, and now maybe you 'force' me to like it. But what you, my brain manipulator, in fact did is changing my personality. If my new personality is able to give the reasons for my behaviour, and take responsibility for it (which is of course relevant in moral choices), then my actions are free. From the outside, we of course see what a mean person you are: you changed the personality of somebody, and so we can also make you responsible for my possibly condemnable actions, plus the 'killing' of my old personality. However, if your manipulations are reversed, then my old personality is back, and I would not feel responsible for my condemnable actions at all, because that was not me. I would not recognise my previous condemnable actions as my actions.
The regress kicks in if classical determinism is true. But we're not assuming that, are we? Why do we need a sufficient cause if we're not assuming causal determinism?
The want is out of the agents control or there is a regress to the cause sufficient or not.
You're asserting something I've asked you to explain, modified only to put it in terms of a dilemma. If we need a prior cause outside the agent's control then the prior cause would be out of the agent's control. Why do we need a prior cause outside the agent's control?
We don't need a prior cause but there will be one if you're going to explain the want. And if the want just happens inexplicably it's just out of our control.
What is "out of the blue"? If the agent wants something then this is, by definition, in accord with what the agent wants.
Sure but the agent has no control over the want which is the problem the libertarian is trying to overcome in the first place.
Therefore it's in the agent's control by definition. Do we need to want a want for the want to be in our control? And do wants automatically result in actions?
Sure but you've gained nothing. Still the want is out of our control.
No sufficient cause for the want is needed, and the want is in the agent's control by definition.
OK here I can pin point an error. By definition actions are in our control when they are caused by our want. The want is not in our control by virtue of being the want we have, that is just ludicrous. And even if it were true then the want would be in our control in your example of the manipulated want.
No sufficient cause for the want is needed, and the want is in the agent's control by definition.
Bold by me. I'm going to single this out because this is key and just wrong. It appears a definition of control of actions is being taken and applied to the want rather than the action. In any case no reasonable definition of control will work.
According to you it is my random arising of wishes and beliefs that make me free. Sorry, that does not work for me. A complete chaotic character, then doing this, then doing that is free, but the person who is consistent in his wishes, beliefs and actions, is able to give the reasons why he acts as he does, is not?
Right. What you appear to miss is that, in practice, you can't tell the difference. And, to clarify, it is the "random arising of wishes and beliefs" (which I suppose is your translation of "could have done otherwise under the same set of starting conditions") plus control that makes you free. You may be a special type of compatibilist who thinks that free will is incompatible with indeterminism. ;-)
What does the first person say when he is asked for the reasons for his actions? "Oh it just popped up in my mind that I wanted to do this, no special reason."
Right, see, you don't appear to understand how it works. Do you direct every one of your own thoughts consciously? Under compatibilism? Under the paradigm you currently accept? Did you decide to hate nougat-flavored ice cream? Was that (negative) desire under your control? No, it wasn't. What's under your control (under LFW or CFW) is the decision you make based on the interplay of your wishes and desires. That's why I stressed to Stephen that there are two types of desires in play: Those that influence decisions and those that correlate with decisions (I want to do x, I do x). You want to eat vanilla ice cream, you want to eat strawberry ice cream. If you choose one then you've frustrated the desire for the other, in a sense. A LFW model says you won't always pick vanilla over strawberry given the same conditions. The LFW model says *you* decide which desire to follow rather than your desires inevitably impelling your decision. And that's the only way, IMHO, that we can conceive of rationality. The choice is between the potential for rationality (people remain free to act irrationally or non-rationally) and Strawson's all-encompassing luck.
Edit: Hmmm... just found that you once] said that the indeterminism lies in the correlation between desire and outcome. Did you change your model? If not you should explain this. Or is the indeterminism located between a desire and a choice?
I was saying that freedom, not indeterminism, is rooted in the correlation between desire and outcome (that's the concept of control, what LFW and CFW have in common). Look again and it should be clear to you.
I don't see what you do not understand. The determined element is I do not take the nougat because I despise of it. The random element is the choice for vanilla or strawberry. Because I like both I have no special reason to take one or the other. Having no reason and just take one of both is not a specially strong example of an expression of free will. Okay, I see I mistook something you said. When you said "My wishes and beliefs determine a small spectrum of possible actions." to took it to mean that the decision to eat vanilla ice cream or strawberry was determined, even though you also described it as chance. But this does leave an ambiguity in your description. You like vanilla. You like strawberry. But assuming that the desire for each is perfectly equal it appears you would say that it is not free will if you take either one (or neither) since that would constitute chance. I expect Stephen to regard you as close to conversion to his POV, based on that. ;-)
As such, being forced to take vanilla by somebody else is also not a very strong example of confining my free will. I could have taken it anyway.
That kind of depends on how you address the issue above, IMHO. It's not clear that you have your version of free will if your desires place you on the horns of a perfect dilemma (50/50), trilemma (1/3,1/3,1/3), etc., regardless of control.
Your bringing in "blood strawberry ice cream" does not add anything. That would very clearly make a distinction between vanilla and strawberry, and I would have a strong reason to take the vanilla.
Blood strawberries add a qualifying distinction between vanilla and strawberry, which you deny and admit in adjacent sentences. And I mentioned doubt about whether blood strawberries exist in reality, which allows you to waffle on how seriously you take the idea. Perhaps if you delay your decision by two seconds you take the idea of blood strawberries more seriously. Or maybe you take it less seriously. Either way, we have a controlled delay in the deliberation process affecting the eventual outcome.
Then the answer is rather easy: as long as I am able to give reasons for my actions, and therefore take the responsibility for my actions, I am morally culpable for my actions.
Okay, no special pleading there. You can be externally controlled but as long as your thoughts are "yours" (whatever that means) then you have CFW. This is consistent with the Calvinist understanding of human freedom under God's meticulous control. That was my follow-up question, whether there is a difference in your free will under CFW if God created you knowing what you would do, or if you happened by chance to be determined to do the exact same thing God intended in the former scenario.
As I said some pages back, responsibility is the ability to give reasons for my behaviour. It all boils down to that I am not responsible for who I am, but for what I do. You, as a mean manipulator of my brain, are not much different from my genes.
I think you're answering consistently, yet in a way that most others would find obviously objectionable. That by itself doesn't make you wrong, of course.
My genes 'forced me' not to like nougat ice cream, and now maybe you 'force' me to like it. But what you, my brain manipulator, in fact did is changing my personality. If my new personality is able to give the reasons for my behaviour, and take responsibility for it (which is of course relevant in moral choices), then my actions are free.
Methinks it's possible for people to be responsible for things for which they deny responsibility ("take responsibility for it"). Otherwise I follow what you're saying.
From the outside, we of course see what a mean person you are: you changed the personality of somebody, and so we can also make you responsible for my possibly condemnable actions, plus the 'killing' of my old personality. However, if your manipulations are reversed, then my old personality is back, and I would not feel responsible for my condemnable actions at all, because that was not me. I would not recognise my previous condemnable actions as my actions.
I'm not so sure that's the case. Sometimes people do a complete change regarding certain types of actions, and there's no apparent evidence of third-party coercion. I don't think you can know you would fail to recognize your own actions, though quite possibly you'd say something like "I don't know why I did that" even if you knew the rationale that motivated you at the time. You wouldn't recognize now the validity of the rationale you used then. Let's suppose I was especially evil and compelled you to eat & enjoy nougat-flavored ice cream. You remember doing it and why ("For some reason I thought it would taste good"), but you can't imagine doing it again. So I guess I have just one more question. When you appear in court for the crime I forced you to commit (eating nougat-flavored ice cream is a first-degree felony???) is the judge correct to sentence you just as harshly as me? You were responsible for your actions. Should you just do your best to get a judge that either accepts LFW or else Strawson's view that responsibility is impossible (seems like having a "Not Guilty" sign in the chair would serve just as well in the latter case)?

Second post first: I’m glad to see you picking out one area for focus, Stephen. I agree it’s the key point.

The regress kicks in if classical determinism is true. But we're not assuming that, are we? Why do we need a sufficient cause if we're not assuming causal determinism?
The want is out of the agents control or there is a regress to the cause sufficient or not. Remember there are two kinds of wants/desires in play. Your communication is ambiguous as to which you're talking about. I'll identify them as want-precursor ("want-p") and want-action (want-a). Want-a corresponds with the action and is under control by definition. Want-p does not causally determine any LFW action since such actions are indeterministic by definition. So control over those wants is not necessary to control over the action. It follows from these two definitions that you're not answering my question ("Why do we need a sufficient cause if we're not assuming causal determinism?").
We don't need a prior cause but there will be one if you're going to explain the want. And if the want just happens inexplicably it's just out of our control.
Notice how you automatically assume that if there is a lack of a prior sufficient cause then there is a lack of control? You're not explaining why that is the case. What you're saying is if I want to but I don't want to want to then I don't have control of what I want. But the want-to justifying control of the want-to has to logically precede the want-to representing the action: want-a. Want-a is under control by definition. You need to tell me why want-p needs to be under the control of the subject.
What is "out of the blue"? If the agent wants something then this is, by definition, in accord with what the agent wants.
Sure but the agent has no control over the want which is the problem the libertarian is trying to overcome in the first place.
Is it? I'm the libertarian. I see the correlation between the want (want-a) and the action. That's control by definition. Problem solved from what I can tell, unless you can explain why it isn't.
Therefore it's in the agent's control by definition. Do we need to want a want for the want to be in our control? And do wants automatically result in actions?
Sure but you've gained nothing. Still the want is out of our control.
Want-a is under control by definition except, perhaps, for your unjustified claim to the contrary. If you're talking about want-a then you need to tell me why it isn't under control by definition rather than just asserting without justification that is the case (how many times have I written a sentence like that directed at you, Stephen?). If you're talking about want-p, then you need to tell me why control of want-p is necessary for free will.
OK here I can pin point an error. By definition actions are in our control when they are caused by our want.
That's the case here with want-a. The outcome is caused by the want. You're asserting that there needs to be a want for the want (a want-p), and doubtless a want-p(2) before that as we set off on an infinite regress. You're not pointing out an error on my part. All you're doing is pointing up your own ambiguity. You can either solve the ambiguity coherently or you can't. I'm betting on the latter.
The want is not in our control by virtue of being the want we have, that is just ludicrous.
Granted, I'm assuming no outside manipulation, including prior causation, since either would contradict my stipulation that the model is indeterministic. If it's ludicrous then you can demonstrate it with logic instead of bald assertion. So that's what I'm asking you to do, if you can.
And even if it were true then the want would be in our control in your example of the manipulated want.
That's only if you assume that the stipulated indeterministic scenario is deterministic, which is not an aboveboard technique in argumentation. I'll charitably assume you misspoke.
Notice how you automatically assume that if there is a lack of a prior sufficient cause then there is a lack of control?
Either I want to because .., or there is no because. If there is a because we have a regress. If there is no because the want just appears. The want just appearing for no reason and the want being in my control is an obvious contradiction. And that is all there is to it.
Notice how you automatically assume that if there is a lack of a prior sufficient cause then there is a lack of control?
Either I want to because .., or there is no because. Right, because the scenario either assumes determinism or it doesn't.
If there is a because we have a regress. If there is no because the want just appears.
Right, because the scenario either assumes determinism or it doesn't.
The want just appearing for no reason and the want being in my control is an obvious contradiction. And that is all there is to it.
How predictable was this? There's no contradiction. If there was, then pretty much anybody could figure how to to show a simple contradiction with a simple syllogism (there'd be no need for a regress argument). And that's never going to be you, Stephen, because the contradiction is purely in your imagination.
The want just appearing for no reason and the want being in my control is an obvious contradiction. And that is all there is to it.
How predictable was this? There's no contradiction.
Yes there is.