Climate Change Science 2021

Case in point, Mike Yohe the contrarian lawyer misrepresents the IPCC - is it malicious or is he simply too cynical & nasty to learn anything about the IPCC and hopes his public is too lazy to fact check his BS?

https://www.ipcc.ch

https://www.ipcc.ch/2017/09/21/ipcc-statement-clarifying-the-role-of-the-ipcc-in-the-context-of-1-5oc/

… The IPCC’s mandate is to assess the state of the scientific literature on all aspects of climate change, its impacts and society’s options for responding to it. Whenever a new piece of scientific research is published that is relevant to any these topics, it joins the ever-growing body of evidence that the IPCC assesses. The IPCC does not conduct original research itself, or develop its own models or scenarios. …

Why should they? Please explain that!
How does the nuances of particle physics impact our evidence based understanding of the physics of greenhouse gases in our atmosphere?

Do you even know what Greenhouse Gases are and what makes them GHGs?

… So what happens to those photons? “Greenhouse gas molecules will absorb that light, causing the bonds between atoms to vibrate,” says Jesse Kroll, Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Chemical Engineering at MIT. “This traps the energy, which would otherwise go back into space, and so has the effect of heating up the atmosphere.” Basically, the bonds between the carbon and oxygen atoms in our CO2 molecule bend and stretch to absorb photons. (With other greenhouse gases, the molecular bonds are different, but in all cases, they absorb photons, stopping them from leaving the atmosphere.)

Eventually, our CO2 molecule will release these photons. Sometimes, the photons continue out into space. But other times, they rebound back into the Earth’s atmosphere, where their heat remains trapped.

And importantly, greenhouse gases don’t absorb all photons that cross their paths. Instead, they mostly take in photons leaving the Earth for space. “CO2 molecules absorb infrared light at a few wavelengths, but the most important absorption is light of about 15 microns,” says Kroll. Incoming light from the sun tends to have much shorter wavelengths than this, so CO2 doesn’t stop this sunlight from warming the Earth in the first place. But when the Earth re-emits this light,2 it has a longer wavelength, in the infrared spectrum.

And the range of wavelengths around 15 microns is a particularly crucial window. …

Reality is that neutrinos have always had whatever mass they actually have, and they have always been screaming through our atmosphere, our bodies and buildings and Earth itself since forever - no matter how less than perfectly scientists understood their mass.

And saying climate scientist have ignored the question neutrinos, or cosmic rays is utterly false.

… “This is a very scary statement, for it reveals both an ignorance of how science works, and an antipathy toward the scientific endeavor,” said climate researcher Michael Mann, director of the Earth System Science Center at Pennsylvania State University.

“Citing one experiment about a weakly interacting sub-atomic particle in an effort to discredit all of climate science is tantamount to citing the apparent discovery of an unexpected new animal species as reason to reject the theory of gravity. It is a desperate effort by those who find the implications of human-caused climate change inconvenient, to distract the public from the overwhelming evidence that it is both real, and a threat.”

Regardless of outcome of the neutrino issue, climate change science should be unaffected. …

“His point is irrelevant,” CERN physicist Jonas Strandberg said of Bryce’s argument. “The ‘correctness’ of the laws of relativity is completely independent from the correctness of the climate research, and there is no correlation between the two.”

And that’s from real scientists.

PS

The fraudster Mike Yohe starts with projecting his own incompetence and dishonesty upon climate scientists - everything he says assumes climate scientists are lying to us - with never a shed of real evidence.

He cannot comprehend the fact that serious scientists are serious about their science and not his politics.

As for the rest of that crap he spews about science ignores that science is evidence based, as more evidence is collected, that evidence drives the understanding!

Substitute CO2 for economy in this.

It seems there is a lot of who said this and who said that. But what about just putting the Global warming effect back the way it was before it was broke.
Oil wells are now void of oil. Easy: The Atmosphere on the earth is a thin layer of gasses. The Oil wells are deep under the ground under pressure already. Simply compress the green house gasses to liquid, pump the liquid into the empty Oil wells. This solves two issues 1 the Earth cools down. 2 : Oil floats on Liquid Co2. That oil is now retrievable. thus: the retrieved Oil pays for the process.
Instead of saying who / who. find and fix. the Who’s are just Hooting. But it does sell books. have a nice hot summer. Tom Wlazlak- EttCM Energy Technology

1 Like

Wow. Simply amazing that no one ever thought of that

“Simply” … yes.

I feel a diagram of zig-zag tubes coming on …

Also:

Are you sure? At the same pressures and temperatures required for liquid CO2?

• Honest question. I know there is a relationship to pressure, temperature, volume, density, etc. Have you worked the math?
1 Like

BTW - I know the idea of CO2 scrubbers has been around for awhile.

I just never heard it as the excuse to capture more fossil fuels

The density of Oil is .6
The density of liquid co2 is 1.56
The density of water is 1 note: water will float on liquid co2

Mostly the reason you have never heard of the thing I am presenting to you people is because They are my Ideas. new thinking is needed to fix old problems.
That is what I do. I fix things. That is why I am here at this time. It is not good to ponder on what that means. Accept at face value that I am here to help. People
Of course the People must help themselves. I just make suggestions.
Thanks, Tom

1 Like

Have you studied geology?

https://www.e-education.psu.edu/png301/node/8

No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express. :wink:

Not sure if you’re serious or sarcastic. But I did get my degree in Aeronautics and Mathematics, so fluid dynamics is not foreign to me.

It just seems that the pressures and temperatures needed for liquid CO2 would alter the characteristics of crude as well. And I don’t know how that balances out. I did find some graphs that seem to indicate contrary to what was mentioned above, but I wasn’t sure enough of the comparisons to be sure.

Fluid dynamics is one thing, fluids squeezed between a matrix of rock types of varying physical structure and properties, under varying pressures and temperatures and such. I mean you’re suggesting going deep into Earth - . . . That stuff is important to know. …

Here’s just an aside but it does give an indication of what a different realm that is that you aren’t going to conquer it with the physic of our surface world of understanding. It’s a whole different realm. If you aren’t familiar with this jazz, check it out.

++++++++
Although bring it back on point, check out this paper

Front. Clim., 15 November 2019 | https://doi.org/10.3389/fclim.2019.00009

An Overview of the Status and Challenges of CO2Storage in Minerals and Geological Formations

I myself don’t have a clue what it says, but since this is your topic, I bet you’ll find this report (put together by experts who have been immersed in this topic like few others) fascinating and who knows . . . . . . .

Not only that but they are also researching for life at those depths and temperature.

Amount of deep life on Earth quantified

Scientists have estimated the total amount of life on Earth that exists below ground - and it is vast.

You would need a microscope to see this subterranean biosphere, however.
It is made up mostly of microbes, such as bacteria and their evolutionary cousins, the archaea.

Nonetheless, it represents a lot of carbon - about 15 to 23 billion tonnes of it. That is hundreds of times more carbon than is woven into all the humans on the planet

1 Like

I agree.
I was questioning the “simple” notion of just pumping liquid CO2 into the “empty holes from depleted oil wells” to make the oil float so we can recover it.

2 Likes

What a shame my local oil field expert (mud supervisor) happens to be out in the field, still I’m pretty sure oil is never (or very rarely) found in stuff we’d call empty holes, it’s more like a matrix with very small to microscopic network of tiny holes and fractures.

(Tru Dat Write, extremophils, another area where our knowledge has exploded in the past decade, blowing away all sorts of self certain assumptions. I didn’t mention it since this was about oil extraction and CO2 injection into deep drained oil bearing formations.)

It is all part of the same thing over and over makes no sense.

not knowing all the details makes it hard to understand this topic

You do know how much CO2 we spew into the atmosphere every day, yes?

10,918,700,570 (tons) CO2 emissions this year.

That is 4 3/4 months to date.
Do the math.

That is a big amount of tons what should be done about it?