Can you find the defining trait amongst Trump supporters?

... I do not have time to look up all the outrageous things Trump has said and all the lies he tells. Politifact.org has an overview of Trump's truthiness]. they rate his statements true or mostly true six percent of the time, whereas he rates mostly false, false or pants on fire 77 percent of the time... ... I have disliked the man for a long time, and the more he opens his mouth in public the less I like him. He is spectacularly unqualified to be president. You dismiss his business failures as the responsible thing to do, but good businessmen do not repeatedly drive companies into bankruptcy. Trump has gamed the system to his personal benefit and to the detriment of investors who treated him. He is a megalomaniac and a sociopath and personifies everything that is wrong with American capitalism.
Sounds true to me. But compared to his fellow Republican contenders for President, other than Kasich, maybe, he doesn't seem all that bad.

I guess Rand Paul would have been better than Trump, but Rand is out, now.

You dismiss his business failures as the responsible thing to do, but good businessmen do not repeatedly drive companies into bankruptcy.
No I only qualified Mike Y's comments on bankruptcy. I don't know anything about Trump's businesses. Go back and read before you start misquoting me. I dismiss his business failures as the the responsible thing to do? Where did I say anything like that? Christ you took a whole day to reply.. You're still hysterical. You're disingenuous. I give zero respect. Type words that aren't rants and aren't misrepresentations of what I said.
He is a megalomaniac and a sociopath and personifies everything that is wrong with American capitalism.
Yeah, he's a sociopath. I'm sure. Sociopaths usually have successful businesses and TV shows. You're not even on Terra Firma here Darron. Man the fun I'm gonna have if Trump wins. :lol: I'll say it again too. The disingenuous arguing is the last refuge of people who got nothing. Nothing. I'd rather have a good debate with a Fascist or Xian who argued coherently and honestly. You just throw things up on the wall and see what sticks. The guy said, "That would be a shame." Your response about that not being good enough is what...? What? It's inane. Your remarks about "tacit approval"....You're just about ready for the "Crop Circle" thread.
You dismiss his business failures as the responsible thing to do, but good businessmen do not repeatedly drive companies into bankruptcy.
No I only qualified Mike Y's comments on bankruptcy. I don't know anything about Trump's businesses.[/quote
And Mike's right about the bankruptcy thing. It's just another tool in the capitalist's bag of tricks. Only a stupid businessman would not use bankruptcy if he needed it. So there's that.
And only a bad businessman would repeatedly drive his businesses into bankruptcy. I stand by my statement. I summarized your remark instead of quoting you directly. If you don't know anything about Trump's businesses then you are uninformed. The information is readily available on the Internet. Do I need to provide links or can you find it yourself? I apologize for having a life outside this forum and not replying quickly enough for you. Now, are you or Mike going to post what you think makes Trump qualified for the presidency or just attack me for not agreeing with you?
Now, are you or Mike going to post what you think makes Trump qualified for the presidency or just attack me for not agreeing with you?
That's more bad argument technique there Darron. It's trying to cover up the main theme of my stated position by shifting to another topic. Let's stay on track here. You see your statement below....I already positively showed that this contains multiple errors and logical fallacies. So far you haven't discussed or argued in good faith. This statement below is reprehensible and just plain false. It shows that your emotions are polluting the discussion. Why would I want to go on discussing any of these related topics with you in your present state. I like discussing facts about politics. Not just listening to people say: Things are stupid. Trumps stupid. So I'll mimic you...Are you going to admit that this statement below is false and nothing but a smear tactic, or are you just going to keep trying to change the subject?
No, it isn't. The important point is that Trump did not condemn the behavior, alleged or true, but that he described his followers as passionate, giving tacit approval to the assault.
already positively showed that this contains multiple errors and logical fallacies.
No, you have not.
already positively showed that this contains multiple errors and logical fallacies.
No, you have not. It's so difficult for you isn't it? Just like any other idealogue. An adherence to beliefs in spite of facts.

I just realized your signature :lol: Darron!
You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs. :lol:
That’s just too funny. I said that to you yesterday.

No I only qualified Mike Y's comments on bankruptcy. I don't know anything about Trump's businesses.[/quote
And Mike's right about the bankruptcy thing. It's just another tool in the capitalist's bag of tricks. Only a stupid businessman would not use bankruptcy if he needed it. So there's that.
And only a bad businessman would repeatedly drive his businesses into bankruptcy. I stand by my statement. I summarized your remark instead of quoting you directly. If you don't know anything about Trump's businesses then you are uninformed. The information is readily available on the Internet. Do I need to provide links or can you find it yourself? I apologize for having a life outside this forum WHAT! You have a life outside this forum? Get your priorities right, Darron! and not replying quickly enough for you. Now, are you or Mike going to post what you think makes Trump qualified for the presidency or just attack me for not agreeing with you? As to the question in the thread title, the defining trait is ignorance, plain and simple.
As to the question in the thread title, the defining trait is ignorance, plain and simple.
Look Lois, you can't even format your quotes properly. Aside from that you resort to 6th grade level analysis. You're another one. "This is stupid! That's stupid! He's dumb! Trump's stupid" There are threads littered with this type of commentary by you. That makes for great analysis and discussion.
As to the question in the thread title, the defining trait is ignorance, plain and simple.
I was thinking the same thing a few minutes ago. Vyazma stated he doesn't know anything about Trumps's business and demonstrated he doesn't pay attention to how journalists write their stories when he jumped all over me over the word "allegedly," and he's been berating me for saying that Trump's failure to condemn the rednecks who beat up the homeless man amounts to tacit approval of their actions. I might be inclined to let Trump slide if this had been an isolated incident, but Trump has ignored his followers assaulting people at Trump rallies. There is a ugly, dangerous pattern here, but I'm apparently an ideologue because I speak bad about a racist, xenophobic, misogynistic, narcissistic, megalomaniac who has made hundreds of millions of dollars gaming the system by repeatedly exploiting bankruptcy laws. Trump was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. There is nothing there to defend, but the more vile Trump's words and actions the higher his poll numbers. Authoritarianism is likely one common trait among Trump supporters, but as we have seen in this thread ignorance seems a major issue.
Look Lois, you can't even format your quotes properly. Aside from that you resort to 6th grade level analysis. You're another one. "This is stupid! That's stupid! He's dumb! Trump's stupid" There are threads littered with this type of commentary by you. That makes for great analysis and discussion. Trump isn't half as stupid as his followers, who don't have a clue as to how the US government works. If it makes you feel better to denigrate me, go ahead. Such attacks are nothing new among ignorant people and Trump supporters.
I was thinking the same thing a few minutes ago. Vyazma stated he doesn't know anything about Trumps's business and demonstrated he doesn't pay attention to how journalists write their stories when he jumped all over me over the word "allegedly," and he's been berating me for saying that Trump's failure to condemn the rednecks who beat up the homeless man amounts to tacit approval of their actions. I might be inclined to let Trump slide if this had been an isolated incident, but Trump has ignored his followers assaulting people at Trump rallies. There is a ugly, dangerous pattern here, but I'm apparently an ideologue because I speak bad about a racist, xenophobic, misogynistic, narcissistic, megalomaniac who has made hundreds of millions of dollars gaming the system by repeatedly exploiting bankruptcy laws. Trump was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. There is nothing there to defend, but the more vile Trump's words and actions the higher his poll numbers. Authoritarianism is likely one common trait among Trump supporters, but as we have seen in this thread ignorance seems a major issue. Authoritarianism appeals to people who have no understanding of democracy. Authoritarianism is how dictators get support. Hitler, Stalin Mussolini, Mugabe, al Assad, Kim Jong-il, Mao Zedong, Pol Pot, Saddam Hussein, Chiang Kai Shek, Idi Amin have all used it to great effect. "Authoritarianism, principle of blind submission to authority, as opposed to individual freedom of thought and action. In government, authoritarianism denotes any political system that concentrates power in the hands of a leader or a small elite that is not constitutionally responsible to the body of the people. Authoritarian leaders often exercise power arbitrarily and without regard to existing bodies of law, and they usually cannot be replaced by citizens choosing freely among various competitors in elections. The freedom to create opposition political parties or other alternative political groupings with which to compete for power with the ruling group is either limited or nonexistent in authoritarian regimes. "In fact, I’ve found a single statistically significant variable predicts whether a voter supports Trump—and it’s not race, income or education levels: It’s authoritarianism." "That’s right, Trump’s electoral strength—and his staying power—have been buoyed, above all, by Americans with authoritarian inclinations. And because of the prevalence of authoritarians in the American electorate, among Democrats as well as Republicans, it’s very possible that Trump’s fan base will continue to grow." http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/01/donald-trump-2016-authoritarian-213533 "Authoritarianism thus stands in fundamental contrast to democracy. It also differs from totalitarianism, however, since authoritarian governments usually have no highly developed guiding ideology, tolerate some pluralism in social organization, lack the power to mobilize the entire population in pursuit of national goals, and exercise that power within relatively predictable limits. Examples of authoritarian regimes, according to some scholars, include the pro-Western military dictatorships that existed in Latin America and elsewhere in the second half of the 20th century." http://www.britannica.com/topic/authoritarianism

Authoritarianism is a big concept.
More straightforwardly, I would suggest that Donald like his dad, Fred, is skilled at profiting from our racist tendencies.

Authoritarianism is a big concept. More straightforwardly, I would suggest that Donald like his dad, Fred, is skilled at profiting from our racist tendencies.
That is an excellent point, Tim. I thought people would turn away from him quickly, but the more outrageous his statements the better his poll numbers.
Authoritarianism is a big concept. More straightforwardly, I would suggest that Donald like his dad, Fred, is skilled at profiting from our racist tendencies.
That is an excellent point, Tim. I thought people would turn away from him quickly, but the more outrageous his statements the better his poll numbers. Did you know that Woodie Guthrie was once a tenant of Fred Trump's? Apparently, after realizing that his fellow tenants were all white, Guthrie wrote some lyrics highlighting that fact. Unfortunately, they never became a top 10, (never even recorded as a song, AFAIK).

I never knew that, Tim. Next time I see Arlo i’ll ask him about it. :slight_smile:
I said hello to Arlo once at the Kerrville Folk Festival. Did get the chance to talk with Sarah Lee Guthrie for about 15 minutes. She and her husband Johnny Irion seem like nice people.

To the point of Trump’s business model and respectability:
From The GSA’s website, June 2013

WASHINGTON, DC -- Today, the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) announced it has completed negotiations with the Trump Organization on a 60 year lease agreement to redevelop and manage the iconic Old Post Office building and annex on Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, D.C. Under the agreement, $200 million of private sector funds will be invested to restore the 114 year old federal building and convert it into a luxury mixed-use development -- Trump International Hotel, The Old Post Office, Washington D.C. -- that will serve the local community, preserve the facility, and save taxpayer dollars. The pending agreement now moves to Congress for a review period of 30 in-session days.
So there's this Darron! I don't believe that the GSA under the Obama Admin. would be meddling with Trump's outfit if his business portfolio was not above board. Especially after the whole birther thing and all. But, I don't know. Were you hinting at something else? Was he under investigation or indictment? You brought up his businesses in a derogatory context...
The One Weird Trait That Predicts Whether You’re a Trump Supporter And it’s not gender, age, income, race or religion. By Matthew MacWilliams 1/17/2016 If I asked you what most defines Donald Trump supporters, what would you say? They’re white? They’re poor? They’re uneducated? You’d be wrong. In fact, I’ve found a single statistically significant variable predicts whether a voter supports Trump—and it’s not race, income or education levels: It’s authoritarianism. That’s right, Trump’s electoral strength—and his staying power—have been buoyed, above all, by Americans with authoritarian inclinations. And because of the prevalence of authoritarians in the American electorate, among Democrats as well as Republicans, it’s very possible that Trump’s fan base will continue to grow.
My finding is the result of a national poll I conducted in the last five days of December under the auspices of the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, sampling 1,800 registered voters across the country and the political spectrum. Running a standard statistical analysis, I found that education, income, gender, age, ideology and religiosity had no significant bearing on a Republican voter’s preferred candidate. Only two of the variables I looked at were statistically significant: authoritarianism, followed by fear of terrorism, though the former was far more significant than the latter.
... Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/01/donald-trump-2016-authoritarian-213533#ixzz3xkMVlOyO
Makes sense to me :long:
I find this frightening, we just un-elected here a PM that appealed to the same mindset and he did all sorts of damage to Canada. http://www.mcgilldaily.com/2014/10/reconciling-past-with-present/ I tend to think of Americans as independent free thinking people who don't let themselves be led by a nose ring to slaughter. I really don't understand how someone like Trump who's such an obvious tyrant in the making and a charlatan to boot can be leading the GOP race. But this helps explain it and maybe why so many people doubt things like evolution and climate change if they're being backed by the existing power structure.
I really don't understand how someone like Trump who's such an obvious tyrant in the making and a charlatan to boot can be leading the GOP race. But this helps explain it and maybe why so many people doubt things like evolution and climate change if they're being backed by the existing power structure.
If you don't understand how this is happening you shouldn't really be offering up other opinions about this matter. Because why it is happening is very obvious. Reading into this whole Authoritarian spiel is cute and all, but there's no basis for it. It's extremely difficult for Authoritarianism to get a hold in the USA. Very difficult. Trump, if elected will either "Make America Great Again" or he'll be schim-schacked right out of relevancy in less than a term. You people live in a bubble. You act like were headed for the 4th Reich or something. Get a grip, alot of your lumpen neighbors are out and about politicking. It's not the Apocalypse.