Book recommendations

Hi all,
I’m new and exploring things. Can you recommend some good books for someone who is moving away from conservative Christian faith? There are so many books I don’t know where to start. I have a divinity degree so I can dig deep in philosophy. I just want to start with a few books that help me think.
Thank you and thanks for welcoming me.

I recommend Daniel C. Dennett. Excellent philosophy.
Welcome to the forum!
Danny

Dennett, like others like him (Harris, Hitchens, etc) are too controversial and too anti anti anti. I recommend taking it easy. Watch a few good secular humanist movies (not overtly so, but in message) like Bird Cage, Pleasantville, and the like. I once put together a 12 step program for recovering conservatives and the main step was to watch Bird Cage over and over until you get it. :wink:

Hi all, I'm new and exploring things. Can you recommend some good books for someone who is moving away from conservative Christian faith? There are so many books I don't know where to start. I have a divinity degree so I can dig deep in philosophy. I just want to start with a few books that help me think. Thank you and thanks for welcoming me.
i found "Why I am Not Christian" by Bertrand Russell very helpful. It is not a book, but an essay often published with other essays by Russell on religion. It is straightforward and easy to read. It is also a classic. Why I Am Not a Christian and Other Essays on Religion and Related Subjects [Paperback] Bertrand Russell (Author), Paul Edwards (Editor) Is available from Amazon. You also can usually find the essay in other books in public libraries. Russell wrote a lot about religion philosophy and mathematics. Another good book by Russell, The Scientific Outlook. Lois

Due to your background I recommend reading former minister Dan Barker’s book Godless. It’s definitely right up your alley and is a good way to view religion as seen from the eyes of one who lived and promoted it. Barker also relates how he eventually broke away from the faith and further how it affected his family and friends. Also, welcome to the forum. Hope you stay awhile and share your experiences.
Cap’t Jack

... I once put together a 12 step program for recovering conservatives and the main step was to watch Bird Cage over and over until you get it. ;)
You do know that torture is considered to be a crime? I mean they're conservatives, yeah, but they're still human beings.
Due to your background I recommend reading former minister Dan Barker's book Godless. It's definitely right up your alley and is a good way to view religion as seen from the eyes of one who lived and promoted it. Barker also relates how he eventually broke away from the faith and further how it affected his family and friends. Also, welcome to the forum. Hope you stay awhile and share your experiences. Cap't Jack
Barker is also a former minister. Lois
Due to your background I recommend reading former minister Dan Barker's book Godless. It's definitely right up your alley and is a good way to view religion as seen from the eyes of one who lived and promoted it. Barker also relates how he eventually broke away from the faith and further how it affected his family and friends. Also, welcome to the forum. Hope you stay awhile and share your experiences. Cap't Jack
Barker is also a former minister. LoisI think you might have missed part of his post. ;-) Take care, Derek
Barker is also a former minister. LoisI think you might have missed part of his post. ;-) Take care, Derek I guess I did. Thanks. Lois
... I once put together a 12 step program for recovering conservatives and the main step was to watch Bird Cage over and over until you get it. ;)
You do know that torture is considered to be a crime? I mean they're conservatives, yeah, but they're still human beings.I take it you're a bigot, homophobe?
You do know that torture is considered to be a crime? I mean they're conservatives, yeah, but they're still human beings.I take it you're a bigot, homophobe? On the bell curve of bigotry and homophobia, I suspect that I (and you) are a couple of standard deviations below the mean. I was making a funny about the "inhumanity" of subjecting a human being to watching (what I consider to be not particularly entertaining) movie repeatedly. But you knew that, didn't you?
You do know that torture is considered to be a crime? I mean they're conservatives, yeah, but they're still human beings.I take it you're a bigot, homophobe? On the bell curve of bigotry and homophobia, I suspect that I (and you) are a couple of standard deviations below the mean. I was making a funny about the "inhumanity" of subjecting a human being to watching (what I consider to be not particularly entertaining) movie repeatedly. But you knew that, didn't you?I suppose one could not like that movie, but still get it. I'm hoping not only that you get it but agree with it.