Bobby Jindal--Guns don't kill people, video games and single-parent families kill people

Republican presidential candidate, Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal has published his theory of why the mass-shooting in Oregon happened:
https://www.bobbyjindal.com/jindal-we-fill-our-culture-with-garbage/]
Basically, he opines that society is going to hell in a hand-basket, and the prevalence of video games and single-parent families are to blame for the shooting, not the easy access to firearms.
It’s almost like he’s trying to out-stupid Donald Trump!!

Oh Bobby’s still in the race? I completely forgot about him. I wonder how his campaign is still alive?
I think Ben Carson’s latest comments on gun control take the cake. Basically, it’s the victims fault for not fighting enough. I guess if you get killed by a tornado, its your fault too since you weren’t successful outrunning it.

It's almost like he's trying to out-stupid Donald Trump!!
If anyone can do that it is Jindal.
Oh Bobby's still in the race? I completely forgot about him. I wonder how his campaign is still alive? I think Ben Carson's latest comments on gun control take the cake. Basically, it's the victims fault for not fighting enough. I guess if you get killed by a tornado, its your fault too since you weren't successful outrunning it.
Here's the real incredibly stupid thing...So Carson said the victims should have rushed the shooter. When asked if he'd do the same he said absolutely. THEN someone found a recording of him doing a talk show where he related being held up at a fast food place. A gunman came in, pointed the gun at Carson, and you know what his response was? He told the gunman "I think you want that guy there, at the register." So he protected himself by telling the gunman to shoot somebody else. I wonder what Jesus would think of that?

http://www.cagle.com

Oh Bobby's still in the race? I completely forgot about him. I wonder how his campaign is still alive? I think Ben Carson's latest comments on gun control take the cake. Basically, it's the victims fault for not fighting enough. I guess if you get killed by a tornado, its your fault too since you weren't successful outrunning it.
Jindal dropped out of the race in mid November.
Jindal dropped out of the race in mid November. I know. This is an old thread. My statement was sarcasm and was made before he dropped out.
Republican presidential candidate, Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal has published his theory of why the mass-shooting in Oregon happened: https://www.bobbyjindal.com/jindal-we-fill-our-culture-with-garbage/] Basically, he opines that society is going to hell in a hand-basket, and the prevalence of video games and single-parent families are to blame for the shooting, not the easy access to firearms. It's almost like he's trying to out-stupid Donald Trump!!
Did he say why it isn't happening in civilized countries that have the same video games and a similar number of single parent families? Maybe there would be fewer single-parent families in the US if one of the parents hadn't been shot by someone practicing his 2nd Amendment "rights." Yes, he certainly is trying to out-stupid Donald Trump, and he's succeeding. He has no chance at the nomination, for which we can all be grateful, though we still have the supreme stupid Donald Trump to contend with.

Me personally, I’m starting to think these video games are a detriment to society. Including possible ties to gun violence.
Have you seen these games? People sit around and kill each other online with very realistic graphics and very realistic guns.
Has anyone given any thought to the amount of violence in our entertainment culture?
Graphic, gratuitous, violence. Comedic killing. Etc etc…
I’m not buying the old argument anymore. If enough people sit around watching enough graphic violence they are going to become desensitized
in some way.
What percentage of movies have guns and killing? 30% 40% 50%?
How about video games?
What percentage of people watch these movies or play these games?

Me personally, I'm starting to think these video games are a detriment to society. Including possible ties to gun violence. Have you seen these games? People sit around and kill each other online with very realistic graphics and very realistic guns. Has anyone given any thought to the amount of violence in our entertainment culture? Graphic, gratuitous, violence. Comedic killing. Etc etc.. I'm not buying the old argument anymore. If enough people sit around watching enough graphic violence they are going to become desensitized in some way. What percentage of movies have guns and killing? 30% 40% 50%? How about video games? What percentage of people watch these movies or play these games?
Japanese people play more video games much more than Americans, per capita, yet there is nowhere near the violence in Japan as there is here. How do you explain that? Are Americans more vulnerable to suggestion and also more weak minded?
Me personally, I'm starting to think these video games are a detriment to society. Including possible ties to gun violence. Have you seen these games? People sit around and kill each other online with very realistic graphics and very realistic guns. Has anyone given any thought to the amount of violence in our entertainment culture? Graphic, gratuitous, violence. Comedic killing. Etc etc.. I'm not buying the old argument anymore. If enough people sit around watching enough graphic violence they are going to become desensitized in some way. What percentage of movies have guns and killing? 30% 40% 50%? How about video games? What percentage of people watch these movies or play these games?
Sorry, I'm not buying that. ;-) How do you know that the video games and/or movies are causation rather than correlation? So anyone who plays a first person shooter is destined to be a real life shooter? Binge watching the Die Hard movies leads to vigilantism (or worse)? Why couldn't the opposite be true? Maybe seeing such things makes people want to avoid them in real life? I do think there has to be some teaching though. Teaching that those are games/movies and NOT how a (reasonable, IMO) person responds to life events is important. Without that... Who knows...?

This concern has been studied for years, and no correlation between violent behavior and video games has been found. However, there might be a correlation between general aggressive behavior in kids and playing video games a lot. Study finds no evidence violent video games make children aggressive
That said, modern games are extremely graphic and its impossible not to wonder about the people who love playing them, lol. The “Grand Theft Auto” series allows players to murder, rape, and torture (I’m not exaggerating) in vivid detail.

That said, modern games are extremely graphic and its impossible not to wonder about the people who love playing them, lol. The "Grand Theft Auto" series allows players to murder, rape, and torture (I'm not exaggerating) in vivid detail.
That's right MidA. I'm not buying those studies anymore. I remember they blamed heavy metal music for suicides. They did studies. I know a little bit about science. There's no way any studies can be 100% conclusive there is no correlation. I don't know about heavy metal music and suicides, but these movies, TV, and video games are not the video games and movies of just 20 years ago. I knew the knee-jerk reaction was coming in regards to this topic. I've heard it 100's of times since the 80s. Being a liberal, I believed it myself. Right? It can't be the entertainment!! Yes it can!! This needs to be looked at further.
Sorry, I'm not buying that. ;-) How do you know that the video games and/or movies are causation rather than correlation? So anyone who plays a first person shooter is destined to be a real life shooter? Binge watching the Die Hard movies leads to vigilantism (or worse)? Why couldn't the opposite be true? Maybe seeing such things makes people want to avoid them in real life? I do think there has to be some teaching though. Teaching that those are games/movies and NOT how a (reasonable, IMO) person responds to life events is important. Without that... Who knows...?
I just went back and completely read your post. Huhn?
Japanese people play more video games much more than Americans, per capita, yet there is nowhere near the violence in Japan as there is here. How do you explain that? Are Americans more vulnerable to suggestion and also more weak minded? Lois, I could see how Americans could perhaps be more easily influenced when exposed to violence compared to another culture exposed to an equal amount of violence in entertainment. Americans have access to guns making it all the more possible. In addition, Americans love to "copy" what they see. Westernized American culture has less value for society as a whole whereas Asian cultures tend to value the society they live in and uphold it...maintain "face." The "group" is worth more than the "self." When that is how you learn to view society, I think you're going to be less likely to hurt it. Violence is a display of negative emotion and frowned upon publicly in Asian cultures. There are a lot of complex societal and cultural underpinnings that are likely present that explain the violence we see. Of course this is just my random speculation.

In my day comic books were the reason behind antisocial behavior. Whenever someone, especially a young person, was accused of a crime, news reports would almost always say that a stash of comic books were found in his room–irrefutable evidence of the untrammeled power of comic books.
Researchers at Villanova University and Rutgers University have published a study comparing sales of violent video games with crime statistics in the United States. They found that when shooting game sales are at their highest, crime numbers tend to drop.
“Various measurements of video game use are related to decreases in violent crime such as homicide,” said Patrick Markey, co-author of the study Violent Video Games and Real-World Violence: Rhetoric Versus Data which is being published by American Psychological Association’s journal Psychology of Popular Media Culture.

In my day comic books were the reason behind antisocial behavior. Whenever someone, especially a young person, was accused of a crime, news reports would almost always say that a stash of comic books were found in his room--irrefutable evidence of the untrammeled power of comic books. Researchers at Villanova University and Rutgers University have published a study comparing sales of violent video games with crime statistics in the United States. They found that when shooting game sales are at their highest, crime numbers tend to drop. "Various measurements of video game use are related to decreases in violent crime such as homicide," said Patrick Markey, co-author of the study Violent Video Games and Real-World Violence: Rhetoric Versus Data which is being published by American Psychological Association's journal Psychology of Popular Media Culture. http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/12/6141515/do-violent-video-games-actually-reduce-real-world-crime
First the finding, "When violent video games sales are at their highest, crime numbers tend to drop" is indicative of very little if nothing. At most it finds that "crime numbers" are lower when video game sales are higher. This has no bearing on the ideas put forth in this thread. Video games are not disposable, use once products. People play violent video games that were released years ago or have only been out for one year. People have collections of violent video games. People rent, trade and copy video games. In otherwords there is a great diaspora of video games out there at all times. The actual new release of a certain game, or the fact that video game sales are higher at a given time does nothing to influence the frequency or intensity of people playing violent video games at any given time. Certainly not measurable enough to correlate it with "crime numbers". And certainly this says absolutely nothing on the effect that violent video games may have psychologically on people. And also that link you posted...it's from a video game industry/fan website! So...there's that... :-/
In my day comic books were the reason behind antisocial behavior. Whenever someone, especially a young person, was accused of a crime, news reports would almost always say that a stash of comic books were found in his room--irrefutable evidence of the untrammeled power of comic books. Researchers at Villanova University and Rutgers University have published a study comparing sales of violent video games with crime statistics in the United States. They found that when shooting game sales are at their highest, crime numbers tend to drop. "Various measurements of video game use are related to decreases in violent crime such as homicide," said Patrick Markey, co-author of the study Violent Video Games and Real-World Violence: Rhetoric Versus Data which is being published by American Psychological Association's journal Psychology of Popular Media Culture. http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/12/6141515/do-violent-video-games-actually-reduce-real-world-crime
First the finding, "When violent video games sales are at their highest, crime numbers tend to drop" is indicative of very little if nothing. At most it finds that "crime numbers" are lower when video game sales are higher. This has no bearing on the ideas put forth in this thread. Video games are not disposable, use once products. People play violent video games that were released years ago or have only been out for one year. People have collections of violent video games. People rent, trade and copy video games. In otherwords there is a great diaspora of video games out there at all times. The actual new release of a certain game, or the fact that video game sales are higher at a given time does nothing to influence the frequency or intensity of people playing violent video games at any given time. Certainly not measurable enough to correlate it with "crime numbers". And certainly this says absolutely nothing on the effect that violent video games may have psychologically on people. And also that link you posted...it's from a video game industry/fan website! So...there's that... :-/ The study was from trusted academics. Why is it that the Japanese have the same video games, with different release dates, yet there is less actual violence in Japan than in the US? Are the Japanese just less violent as a race? LL
Why is it that the Japanese have the same video games, with different release dates, yet there is less actual violence in Japan than in the US? Are the Japanese just less violent as a race? LL
No Lois, as someone already pointed out above, the Japanese are not swimming in a sea of guns. In fact guns are basically illegal in Japan. Almost nobody has guns. Japan averages about 4-6 gun deaths per year.

I’d have to pull the actual stats, but suicide is a major problem in Japan, for example. I think Asians are more likely to self-harm than strike out at society. Again, they’re going to try to save face and shield society from their emotions thus making a violent public outburst less likely. Also, when violence is practiced, there is an emphasis on discipline and responsibility (karate and so forth). American is a completely different culture and the relationship with guns is different, so even if two cultures are exposed to the same “entertainment” versions of violence, the mindset and cultural views are still likely to be a big factor in terms of how a society processes that “entertainment.”
Even in cultures that are very similar to American culture such as that of the U.K. which shares many of the western values and shares many of the exact same entertainment in terms of video games, television, and movies, it’s still a world of difference in terms of gun violence between the U.S. and U.K.