Ben Carson and abortion

So Ben Carson is now saying that Planned Parenthood clinics being primarily located in black neighborhood areas, is a factor of the founder being a fan of eugenics and not favorable of black people. He suggests that Planned Parenthood is, at least in part, an instrument of black population control.
Another assertion he has made is that, in regards to the use of fetal tissue in research, there is nothing that can’t be done without using fetal tissue."
I am interested in anyone’s response to these assertions, but am particularly interested in MacGyver’s input on the 2nd.

Planned Parenthood is an instrument of population control in general, though it’s doubtful they’re specifically targeting black women.
I was surprised to read the about the high rate of black abortions, but if the clinics are there it’s because there’s a need for them.

Planned Parenthood is an instrument of population control in general, though it's doubtful they're specifically targeting black women. I was surprised to read the about the high rate of black abortions, but if the clinics are there it's because there's a need for them.
I also doubt that there was/is some nefarious plot aimed at keeping the black population, in particular, under control. Black women are probably also, disparately, in need of all of the other services that Planned Parenthood provides.
So Ben Carson is now saying that Planned Parenthood clinics being primarily located in black neighborhood areas, is a factor of the founder being a fan of eugenics and not favorable of black people. He suggests that Planned Parenthood is, at least in part, an instrument of black population control. Another assertion he has made is that, in regards to the use of fetal tissue in research, there is nothing that can't be done without using fetal tissue." I am interested in anyone's response to these assertions, but am particularly interested in MacGyver's input on the 2nd.
Sorry Tim. I am not really an expert on this subject. There was a CNN article on this a few weeks back which goes over the subject to some extent and suggests that newer techniques are making the need for fetal tissue less important to some extent. http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/17/health/fetal-tissue-explainer/
Planned Parenthood is an instrument of population control in general, though it's doubtful they're specifically targeting black women. I was surprised to read the about the high rate of black abortions, but if the clinics are there it's because there's a need for them.
Black women are poorer than white women. They stand to lose more from an unplanned pregnancy. Lois
So Ben Carson is now saying that Planned Parenthood clinics being primarily located in black neighborhood areas, is a factor of the founder being a fan of eugenics and not favorable of black people. He suggests that Planned Parenthood is, at least in part, an instrument of black population control. Another assertion he has made is that, in regards to the use of fetal tissue in research, there is nothing that can't be done without using fetal tissue." I am interested in anyone's response to these assertions, but am particularly interested in MacGyver's input on the 2nd.
Sorry Tim. I am not really an expert on this subject. There was a CNN article on this a few weeks back which goes over the subject to some extent and suggests that newer techniques are making the need for fetal tissue less important to some extent. http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/17/health/fetal-tissue-explainer/ It probably is true, but apparently research labs still use fetal tissue. Other tissue may be much more expensive to use and less useful. The use of fetal tissue will have no effect on the rate of abortion. There will be as many abortions, but if fetal tissue is not used, it will be wasted. No woman has an abortion to provide fetal tissue to a lab--and no woman is going to not have an abortion because the tissue will be wasted. it's a non issue in terms of abortions performed. Lois

My missionary cousin shared a meme on this. It comes from some things that were said by the founder of the precursor to Planned Parenthood, Margaret Sanger] It’s fallacious of course as no one alive today is beholden to anything she said, but did use the word eugenics in relation to poor and less intelligent people. She said smarter people understood how to control their population, but those people didn’t.

Sorry Tim. I am not really an expert on this subject. There was a CNN article on this a few weeks back which goes over the subject to some extent and suggests that newer techniques are making the need for fetal tissue less important to some extent. http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/17/health/fetal-tissue-explainer/ It probably is true, but apparently research labs still use fetal tissue. Other tissue may be much more expensive to use and less useful. The use of fetal tissue will have no effect on the rate of abortion. There will be as many abortions, but if fetal tissue is not used, it will be wasted. No woman has an abortion to provide fetal tissue to a lab--and no woman is going to not have an abortion because the tissue will be wasted. it's a non issue in terms of abortions performed. Lois That sounds logical.

So in a nutshell, is it safe to presume that Ben Carson is a bit of a nut?

Sorry Tim. I am not really an expert on this subject. There was a CNN article on this a few weeks back which goes over the subject to some extent and suggests that newer techniques are making the need for fetal tissue less important to some extent. http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/17/health/fetal-tissue-explainer/ In the article, Hyun, a professor of bioethics says "in the future, the need for fetal tissue will go down because of advances in stem cell [technology] that will take over..." The phrase "in the future" suggests to me that Ben Carson's assertion is not yet true. Lois's logic about using fetal tissue, that it is available, because abortions are performed, is ironically, a similar defense that Carson used when it came to light that he, himself has used fetal tissue in research that he has done.
He said Obamacare was worse than slavery, so I think calling him a nut is a bit of an understatement.
He comes off as mild mannered, especially compared to the Trumpster, but he's actually even worse. Trump is just a bunch of bluster. Carson is a smart guy, very smart, so you can count on what he says being very considered. So to say PP is a way to control blacks, to insinuate that its founder was somehow associated with Nazis, and so on. There's a phrase I think is relavent here: the banality of evil. And Carson is it. I just hope african-americans don't get suckered in by him.
He said Obamacare was worse than slavery, so I think calling him a nut is a bit of an understatement. Good point.
He comes off as mild mannered, especially compared to the Trumpster, but he's actually even worse. Trump is just a bunch of bluster. Carson is a smart guy, very smart, so you can count on what he says being very considered. So to say PP is a way to control blacks, to insinuate that its founder was somehow associated with Nazis, and so on. There's a phrase I think is relavent here: the banality of evil. And Carson is it. I just hope african-americans don't get suckered in by him. Well, as we know, there is a subset of Americans, who are prone to paranoid conspiratorial thinking. So surely this includes some black people. Maybe Carson was intentionally appealing to this segment. The eventual Repub nominee doesn't need a majority of the black vote to become the next President, just a significantly greater percentage than they usually get, could make the difference.
It probably is true, but apparently research labs still use fetal tissue. Other tissue may be much more expensive to use and less useful. The use of fetal tissue will have no effect on the rate of abortion. There will be as many abortions, but if fetal tissue is not used, it will be wasted. No woman has an abortion to provide fetal tissue to a lab--and no woman is going to not have an abortion because the tissue will be wasted. it's a non issue in terms of abortions performed. Lois
Agreed. This whole subject is a straw man argument designed to evoke an emotional response an nothing more
Yes. He has come out and said he doesn't believe in evolution. Pretty shocking for a physician.

I see why some Republicans find him so appealing. He is an extremely intelligent man who presents a calm and genteel exterior, who backs up some of their craziest beliefs.

He comes off as mild mannered, especially compared to the Trumpster, but he's actually even worse. Trump is just a bunch of bluster. Carson is a smart guy, very smart, so you can count on what he says being very considered. So to say PP is a way to control blacks, to insinuate that its founder was somehow associated with Nazis, and so on. There's a phrase I think is relavent here: the banality of evil. And Carson is it. I just hope african-americans don't get suckered in by him.I think it's safe to say most black Americans see Carson as an "Uncle Tom". Anyway, Carson is just an uninteresting sideshow propped up by pseudo-conservatives. He has no chance of winning because he doesn't know how to play the game.

Here’s something from Ben Carson’s facebook page. Make of it what you will. It appears to be from a speaking event of some kind.

I wanted to use our time tonight to directly deal with an attack launched on me today by the left and the media. A couple questions came in on this subject, so I want to address it head on. Today I was accused by the press as having done research on fetal tissue. It simply is not true. The study they distributed by an anonymous source was done in 1992. The study was about tumors. I won’t bore you with the science. There were four doctors' names on the study. One was mine. I spent my life studying brain tumors and removing them. My only involvement in this study was supplying tumors that I had removed from my patients. Those tissue samples were compared to other tissue samples under a microscope. Pathologists do this work to gain clues about tumors. I, nor any of the doctors involved with this study, had anything to do with abortion or what Planned Parenthood has been doing. Research hospitals across the country have microscope slides of all kinds of tissue to compare and contrast. The fetal tissue that was viewed in this study by others was not collected for this study. I am sickened by the attack that I, after having spent my entire life caring for children, had something to do with aborting a child and harvesting organs. My medical specialty is the human brain and even I am amazed at what it is capable of doing. Please know these attacks are pathetic attempts to blunt our progress.
Here's something from Ben Carson's facebook page. Make of it what you will. It appears to be from a speaking event of some kind.
I wanted to use our time tonight to directly deal with an attack launched on me today by the left and the media. A couple questions came in on this subject, so I want to address it head on. Today I was accused by the press as having done research on fetal tissue. It simply is not true. The study they distributed by an anonymous source was done in 1992. The study was about tumors. I won’t bore you with the science. There were four doctors' names on the study. One was mine. I spent my life studying brain tumors and removing them. My only involvement in this study was supplying tumors that I had removed from my patients. Those tissue samples were compared to other tissue samples under a microscope. Pathologists do this work to gain clues about tumors. I, nor any of the doctors involved with this study, had anything to do with abortion or what Planned Parenthood has been doing. Research hospitals across the country have microscope slides of all kinds of tissue to compare and contrast. The fetal tissue that was viewed in this study by others was not collected for this study. I am sickened by the attack that I, after having spent my entire life caring for children, had something to do with aborting a child and harvesting organs. My medical specialty is the human brain and even I am amazed at what it is capable of doing. Please know these attacks are pathetic attempts to blunt our progress.
This is a hypocritical argument. He admits that the tissue was useful in this study. He admits that he participated in the study. He admits that neither he nor anyone in the study participated in the abortion to get the tissue nor that any abortion was done fir the purpose of getting tissue yet he criticizes planned parenthood for providing tissue for other studies. I have no respect for him at all.