Ben Carson and abortion

This is a hypocritical argument. He admits that the tissue was useful in this study. He admits that he participated in the study. He admits that neither he nor anyone in the study participated in the abortion to get the tissue nor that any abortion was done fir the purpose of getting tissue yet he criticizes planned parenthood for providing tissue for other studies. I have no respect for him at all.
I agree with the hypocrisy, but he does get his tissue from brain tumors, not fetuses, so is drawing that line. Of course it's an arbitrary line. Planned Parenthood is doing equally legal procedures and saving tissue under the exact same laws and regulations.

Planned Parenthood gets no federal money for abortions. They are not allowed to do more than get their expenses reimbursed when they supply to private entities. They provide a host of other services that some women desperately need and do get federal money for this. The repubs have been engaging in an all out assault, in order to shut down all Planned Parenthood clinics, even to the extent that some of their congressmen are willing to shut down the govt over it.

My missionary cousin shared a meme on this. It comes from some things that were said by the founder of the precursor to Planned Parenthood, Margaret Sanger] It's fallacious of course as no one alive today is beholden to anything she said, but did use the word eugenics in relation to poor and less intelligent people. She said smarter people understood how to control their population, but those people didn't.
Margaret Sanger was a product of her times, as everyone is, including you and me. Eventually some of our positions will be seen as horrific by later generations just as Margaret Sanger's seem to us. Now we know better. And our succeeding generations will know better than we do on many topics--as hard as that may be to believe now. Lois
So in a nutshell, is it safe to presume that Ben Carson is a bit of a nut?
Yes. He has come out and said he doesn't believe in evolution. Pretty shocking for a physician. He's a bigger nut than I gave him credit for. Lois
I see why some Republicans find him so appealing. He is an extremely intelligent man who presents a calm and genteel exterior, who backs up some of their craziest beliefs.
I wouldn't call him intelligent. If he were intelligent he wouldn't say the things he says. He is a man who got through med school without ever having an independent or rational thought. He is not alone. It is possible to take in a lot of information and repeat it back to professors and on tests without the ability to assess any of it. People with "photographic memories" do this all the time. I have known several people like this. They can be extremely dangerous. Lois
Here's something from Ben Carson's facebook page. Make of it what you will. It appears to be from a speaking event of some kind.
I wanted to use our time tonight to directly deal with an attack launched on me today by the left and the media. A couple questions came in on this subject, so I want to address it head on. Today I was accused by the press as having done research on fetal tissue. It simply is not true. The study they distributed by an anonymous source was done in 1992. The study was about tumors. I won’t bore you with the science. There were four doctors' names on the study. One was mine. I spent my life studying brain tumors and removing them. My only involvement in this study was supplying tumors that I had removed from my patients. Those tissue samples were compared to other tissue samples under a microscope. Pathologists do this work to gain clues about tumors. I, nor any of the doctors involved with this study, had anything to do with abortion or what Planned Parenthood has been doing. Research hospitals across the country have microscope slides of all kinds of tissue to compare and contrast. The fetal tissue that was viewed in this study by others was not collected for this study. I am sickened by the attack that I, after having spent my entire life caring for children, had something to do with aborting a child and harvesting organs. My medical specialty is the human brain and even I am amazed at what it is capable of doing. Please know these attacks are pathetic attempts to blunt our progress.
Someone should tell this poor excuse for a doctor that children are not aborted. I wish he would tell us how he thinks fetal tissue is used for 'harvesting organs" and how such organs are used in medicine. He is one of those dangerous people who have never learned to assess anything and merely spouts what he has been taught and the selected material he has chosen to read. Lois
This is a hypocritical argument. He admits that the tissue was useful in this study. He admits that he participated in the study. He admits that neither he nor anyone in the study participated in the abortion to get the tissue nor that any abortion was done fir the purpose of getting tissue yet he criticizes planned parenthood for providing tissue for other studies. I have no respect for him at all.
I agree with the hypocrisy, but he does get his tissue from brain tumors, not fetuses, so is drawing that line. Of course it's an arbitrary line. Planned Parenthood is doing equally legal procedures and saving tissue under the exact same laws and regulations. All tissue taken from human bodies is processed and used in the same way, includimg fetal tissie. And hospitals charge for the processing, packaging and transportation of it to labs. planned Parenthood has been doing mothing any different than hospitals do with human tissue every day. I guarantee you that Carson's research and training used fetal tissue. He is one of those dangerous and disingenuous people who will lie and manipulate the facts with a straight face. Right wing politics is right up his alley. Lois
I agree with the hypocrisy, but he does get his tissue from brain tumors, not fetuses, so is drawing that line. Of course it's an arbitrary line. Planned Parenthood is doing equally legal procedures and saving tissue under the exact same laws and regulations. All tissue taken from human bodies is processed and used in the same way, includimg fetal tissie. And hospitals charge for the processing, packaging and transportation of it to labs. planned Parenthood has been doing mothing any different than hospitals do with human tissue every day. I guarantee you that Carson's research and training used fetal tissue. He is one of those dangerous and disingenuous people who will lie and manipulate the facts with a straight face. Right wing politics is right up his alley. Lois I meant, "I agree he is hypocritical". I don't doubt you're right that he has used fetal tissue somewhere. Here, he is just responding to a specific accusation. He doesn't deny having ever used it.
I see why some Republicans find him so appealing. He is an extremely intelligent man who presents a calm and genteel exterior, who backs up some of their craziest beliefs.
I wouldn't call him intelligent. If he were intelligent he wouldn't say the things he says. He is a man who got through med school without ever having an independent or rational thought. He is not alone. It is possible to take in a lot of information and repeat it back to professors and on tests without the ability to assess any of it. People with "photographic memories" do this all the time. I have known several people like this. They can be extremely dangerous. Lois By any traditional measure of intelligence, Carson is intelligent. Being intelligent does not make one immune to holding stupid opinions and making stupid decisions.
So in a nutshell, is it safe to presume that Ben Carson is a bit of a nut?
He comes off as mild mannered, especially compared to the Trumpster, but he's actually even worse. Trump is just a bunch of bluster. Carson is a smart guy, very smart, so you can count on what he says being very considered. So to say PP is a way to control blacks, to insinuate that its founder was somehow associated with Nazis, and so on. There's a phrase I think is relavent here: the banality of evil. And Carson is it. I just hope african-americans don't get suckered in by him.I think it's safe to say most black Americans see Carson as an "Uncle Tom"... Labels like "Uncle Tom" and "House N_____" are such antiquated terms. I prefer the term "BIRD" Black Institutionalized-Racism-Denier". as in: Ben Carson is a BIRD.