Bacon, same category as asbestos, alcohol, arsenic and tobacco.

Bacon, ham and sausages rank alongside cigarettes as a major cause of cancer, the World Health Organisation has said, placing cured and processed meats in the same category as asbestos, alcohol, arsenic and tobacco.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/26/us-health-meat-idUSKCN0SK16P20151026
This ought to have people wondering!

Bacon, ham and sausages rank alongside cigarettes as a major cause of cancer, the World Health Organisation has said, placing cured and processed meats in the same category as asbestos, alcohol, arsenic and tobacco. http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/26/us-health-meat-idUSKCN0SK16P20151026 This ought to have people wondering!
If you'd have listened to that video you'd have heard him explicitly make clear that risks are of a much lower order than for cigarettes and asbestos. Beyond that, so far as I've heard, the report simply reiterates what many studies have concluded.

It’s huge report - bet not too many have read it.

http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015-scientific-report/02-executive-summary.asp Cross-cutting Topics of Public Health Importance The 2010 Dietary Guidelines included guidance on sodium, saturated fat, and added sugars, and the 2015 DGAC determined that a reexamination of the evidence on these topics was necessary to determine whether revisions to the guidance were warranted. These topics were considered to be of public health importance because each has been associated with negative health outcomes when overconsumed. Additionally, the Committee acknowledged that a potential unintended consequence of a recommendation on added sugars might be that consumers and manufacturers replace added sugars with low-calorie sweeteners. As a result, the Committee also examined evidence on low-calorie sweeteners to inform statements on this topic. The DGAC encourages the consumption of healthy dietary patterns that are low in saturated fat, added sugars, and sodium. The goals for the general population are: less than 2,300 mg dietary sodium per day (or age-appropriate Dietary Reference Intake amount), less than 10 percent of total calories from saturated fat per day, and a maximum of 10 percent of total calories from added sugars per day. Sodium, saturated fat, and added sugars are not intended to be reduced in isolation, but as a part of a healthy dietary pattern that is balanced, as appropriate, in calories. Rather than focusing purely on reduction, emphasis should also be placed on replacement and shifts in food intake and eating patterns. Sources of saturated fat should be replaced with unsaturated fat, particularly polyunsaturated fatty acids. Similarly, added sugars should be reduced in the diet and not replaced with low-calorie sweeteners, but rather with healthy options, such as water in place of sugar-sweetened beverages. For sodium, emphasis should be placed on expanding industry efforts to reduce the sodium content of foods and helping consumers understand how to flavor unsalted foods with spices and herbs. Reducing sodium, saturated fat, and added sugars can be accomplished and is more attainable by eating a healthy dietary pattern. For all three of these components of the diet, policies and programs at local, state, and national levels in both the private and public sector are necessary to support reduction efforts. Similarly, the Committee supports efforts in labeling and other campaigns to increase consumer awareness and understanding of sodium, saturated fats, and added sugars in foods and beverages. The Committee encourages the food industry to continue reformulating and making changes to certain foods to improve their nutrition profile. Examples of such actions include lowering sodium and added sugars content, achieving better saturated fat to polyunsaturated fat ratio, and reducing portion sizes in retail settings (restaurants, food outlets, and public venues, such as professional sports stadiums and arenas). The Committee also encourages the food industry to market these improved products to consumers.

Not a big bacon fan. Or sausage fan. Bacon’s generally too salty for my tastes and most sausages are too heavily spiced.

Not a big bacon fan. Or sausage fan. Bacon's generally too salty for my tastes and most sausages are too heavily spiced.
That is crazy! :bug:
That is crazy! :bug:
:lol: That's the reaction most people have. I'm also not much for ham (typically too sweet or too salty), creamy sauces (I hate the texture), or puddings (ditto).
That’s the reaction most people have. I’m also not much for ham (typically too sweet or too salty), creamy sauces (I hate the texture), or puddings (ditto).
Wow. At the expense of sounding ethnocentric, you would starve to death in the South! There bacon is classified as a fruit. Cap't Jack
Wow. At the expense of sounding ethnocentric, you would starve to death in the South! There bacon is classified as a fruit. Cap't Jack
Speaking of the South, I also don't especially care for fried food. The smell nauseates me. And just to throw the rest out there and satisfy anyone's burning curiosity. And fuel their burning indignation that I dare to disagree with their food preferences. ;-) I also dislike pancakes, steak, most cheeses, mayonaisse, sweet potatoes, stuffing, just about anything that's stuffed with something else, anything gratin, potato salads, jello salads, beans, pie, and cake. Probably some other stuff too that I can't think of right off. I live in the Midwest too. No clue how I've managed to survive into my 30s. :cheese:
Speaking of the South, I also don't especially care for fried food. The smell nauseates me. And just to throw the rest out there and satisfy anyone's burning curiosity. And fuel their burning indignation that I dare to disagree with their food preferences. ;-) I also dislike pancakes, steak, most cheeses, mayonaisse, sweet potatoes, stuffing, just about anything that's stuffed with something else, anything gratin, potato salads, jello salads, beans, pie, and cake. Probably some other stuff too that I can't think of right off. I live in the Midwest too. No clue how I've managed to survive into my 30s. :cheese:OMG, you're practically a Communist!
Speaking of the South, I also don’t especially care for fried food. The smell nauseates me. And just to throw the rest out there and satisfy anyone’s burning curiosity. And fuel their burning indignation that I dare to disagree with their food preferences. I also dislike pancakes, steak, most cheeses, mayonaisse, sweet potatoes, stuffing, just about anything that’s stuffed with something else, anything gratin, potato salads, jello salads, beans, pie, and cake. Probably some other stuff too that I can’t think of right off. I live in the Midwest too. No clue how I’ve managed to survive into my 30s.
What? Well let me give you one then, it's because you avoid these foods; they're all bad for you. All of them are loaded with carbs and fats. They taste fantastic but are verrrrrrry hard on the cardio-vascular system, well except for beans. What I can't figure is how I've lived this long by eating everything you just mentioned. Of course I had a heartattack and four bypasses. So keep up the good work. How do you do it anyway? Cap't Jack
Speaking of the South, I also don't especially care for fried food. The smell nauseates me. And just to throw the rest out there and satisfy anyone's burning curiosity. And fuel their burning indignation that I dare to disagree with their food preferences. ;-) I also dislike pancakes, steak, most cheeses, mayonaisse, sweet potatoes, stuffing, just about anything that's stuffed with something else, anything gratin, potato salads, jello salads, beans, pie, and cake. Probably some other stuff too that I can't think of right off. I live in the Midwest too. No clue how I've managed to survive into my 30s. :cheese:Bet, you don't allow your foods to commingle on the plate either? :-P OH and what's that leave you to eat?
What? Well let me give you one then, it's because you avoid these foods; they're all bad for you. All of them are loaded with carbs and fats. They taste fantastic but are verrrrrrry hard on the cardio-vascular system, well except for beans. What I can't figure is how I've lived this long by eating everything you just mentioned. Of course I had a heartattack and four bypasses. So keep up the good work. How do you do it anyway? Cap't Jack
How? Mostly it's because I'm weird about smell and texture. I find greasy, fatty smells very unpleasant and I can't stand creamy and gelatinous textures. I also don't like carb heavy food as it always feels like it sits heavy in my stomach. It's also why I dislike pancakes. I don't know the carb content of pancakes. But I do know the smell of maple syrup (anything maple really) makes me retch.
Bet, you don't allow your foods to commingle on the plate either? :-P
Nope! I sure don't. :cheese:
OH and what's that leave you to eat?
I eat a lot of sandwiches, salads, stir fries, marinara and olive oil-based pasta dishes. And tacos. I freaking love tacos.
OH and what's that leave you to eat?
I eat a lot of sandwiches, salads, stir fries, marinara and olive oil-based pasta dishes. And tacos. I freaking love tacos. mmm, that made me hungry.