Gluten-free diets

I think that this would fit in Alternative Medicine.
Gluten-free diets, from what I can tell, became a diet fad several years ago, and seems to be one which is not going away.
I know that there is a small population of people who are gluten-intolerant as a genetic condition called Celiac Disease. I know a guy who has it. But I also know some exceedingly intelligent people who are otherwise good critical thinkers who seem to be trying it out.
What gives?
I’m pretty sure that it is bunk, so I’ll begin by asking what are some good, trustworthy sources that I can show friends who buy into it? Much of the misinformation seems to revolve around gluten causing inflammation in the intestines, which it would in people with Celiac Disease, but not, as far as I know, in most people.

What gives?
A desire for some sort of dietetic "Magic Bullet" if you will which will cure everything from overweight and bad breath to the heartbreak of erectile dysfunction and psoriasis, and all without effort of any kind. That's pretty much what gives.

Well, shoot. That sounds pretty awesome! :stuck_out_tongue:

I think that this would fit in Alternative Medicine. Gluten-free diets, from what I can tell, became a diet fad several years ago, and seems to be one which is not going away. I know that there is a small population of people who are gluten-intolerant as a genetic condition called Celiac Disease. I know a guy who has it. But I also know some exceedingly intelligent people who are otherwise good critical thinkers who seem to be trying it out. What gives? I'm pretty sure that it is bunk, so I'll begin by asking what are some good, trustworthy sources that I can show friends who buy into it? Much of the misinformation seems to revolve around gluten causing inflammation in the intestines, which it would in people with Celiac Disease, but not, as far as I know, in most people.
Maybe Mcgyver will weigh in. I'd like to know, too. I also know some people who do not have celiac disease who insist it is doing them good. I just don't know the answers. My reaction is to call it bunk, too. Lois
I think that this would fit in Alternative Medicine. Gluten-free diets, from what I can tell, became a diet fad several years ago, and seems to be one which is not going away. I know that there is a small population of people who are gluten-intolerant as a genetic condition called Celiac Disease. I know a guy who has it. But I also know some exceedingly intelligent people who are otherwise good critical thinkers who seem to be trying it out. What gives? I'm pretty sure that it is bunk, so I'll begin by asking what are some good, trustworthy sources that I can show friends who buy into it? Much of the misinformation seems to revolve around gluten causing inflammation in the intestines, which it would in people with Celiac Disease, but not, as far as I know, in most people.
Maybe Mcgyver will weigh in. I'd like to know, too. I also know some people who do not have celiac disease who insist it is doing them good. I just don't know the answers. My reaction is to call it bunk, too. LoisI think many of its adherents are mistaking correlation with causation. Amongst some parents in our community the parent will observe an undesirable behavior in 'junior'. They'll do some basic, quick and easy internet searches and conclude it's caused by gluten sensitivity (or whatever catch phrase of the day). Junior will then be fed a gluten free diet. For whatever reason the undesirable behavior goes away, the parent then ignores any other variables/possible causes and concludes the lack of gluten has 'cured him'. Kids go through phases of poor behaviors and it takes time for them to learn not to behave that way. So I also think it might be some sort of parental coping mechanism to deal with their children. ;) In general, I think it's just a variant of the Atkins diet, now Paleo diet of reducing/removing carbohydrates. My final word on it for those who do not have celiac is: It's magic!! :lol: Take care, Derek
Maybe Mcgyver will weigh in. I'd like to know, too. I also know some people who do not have celiac disease who insist it is doing them good. I just don't know the answers. My reaction is to call it bunk, too. LoisI think many of its adherents are mistaking correlation with causation. Amongst some parents in our community the parent will observe an undesirable behavior in 'junior'. They'll do some basic, quick and easy internet searches and conclude it's caused by gluten sensitivity (or whatever catch phrase of the day). Junior will then be fed a gluten free diet. For whatever reason the undesirable behavior goes away, the parent then ignores any other variables/possible causes and concludes the lack of gluten has 'cured him'. Kids go through phases of poor behaviors and it takes time for them to learn not to behave that way. So I also think it might be some sort of parental coping mechanism to deal with their children. ;) In general, I think it's just a variant of the Atkins diet, now Paleo diet of reducing/removing carbohydrates. My final word on it for those who do not have celiac is: It's magic!! :lol: Take care, Derek Though I am sure there are people feeding this diet to their children, the people I know who are swearing by it are adults following the diet themselves, with no children involved. Some say they have fewer digestive problems by avoiding gluten, and who knows what else. Lois
Though I am sure there are people feeding this diet to their children, the people I know who are swearing by it are adults following the diet themselves, with no children involved. Some say they have fewer digestive problems by avoiding gluten, and who knows what else.
Any idea what kind of digestive problems this diet supposedly fixes? I'm certainly skeptical of anecdotes (including my own of course!) ;) Take care, Derek
Though I am sure there are people feeding this diet to their children, the people I know who are swearing by it are adults following the diet themselves, with no children involved. Some say they have fewer digestive problems by avoiding gluten, and who knows what else.
Any idea what kind of digestive problems this diet supposedly fixes? I'm certainly skeptical of anecdotes (including my own of course!) ;) Take care, Derek I haven't asked for details. Not sure I want to know. One said she can't digest foods with gluten (though she doesn't have celiac disease). I'm skeptical of anecdotes, too. I think some people grab onto food fads because its one way they can convince themselves that they have control over their lives.

Gluten Enteropathy or Celiac disease as this condition is often known is a condition in which certain individuals can develop a sensitivity to Gluten which is the main protein found in wheat. While there are certainly many people who have this sensitivity and many who are still undiagnosed it has clearly become a bit of a fad. Several years back the handful of celiac patients I took care of had a very difficult time finding gluten free foods to eat. Now every pizza shop and supermarket have gluten free items and isles. Its gotten so silly that foods which have never had any gluten in them at all are now putting gluten free labels on their products. I saw potato chips the other day which exclaimed in bold letter that they were gluten free. The brand next to it said nothing about this, but the fact is ALL potatoes are gluten free. Its just become a big marketing tool now.
There are several reasons why this condition seems so much more prevalent now than it once was. The primary reason is awareness. Many more people have heard of Celiac disease today than just a couple of years ago. The positive outcome of this is that more people with true celiac disease have now been properly diagnosed. Unfortunately awareness has its down side. Most adults have at some time or other experienced some of the symptoms of celiac disease ( see here]). Gastrointestinal complaints are extremely common but most people with GI issues do not have celiac disease. There are many more common explanations for most of these cases including overindulgence, obesity, reflux, gall bladder disease, gastritis, ulcers, Crohns, ulcerative colitis and on and on.
One thing that has happened is that all of these people with a little bloating or acid are looking for a cure and when a couple of Tums doesnt do the trick they look for something else. Celiac disease is an easy thing to grab on to because the symptoms are so vague and its now the “in thing” to have. My wife was at a baby christening in a well to do part of town recently and when the hors d’oeuvres were brought out the waitress asked if anyone needed gluten free at which point more than half the women in the room raised their hands gleefully and said yes like they were all part of a special club. Additionally having this illness has almost become a way of saying “i’m special and need special accommodations”. So there is that social aspect of the whole thing which will subside in time when something new comes along that is more popular.
On the plus side it wouldn’t be the worse thing in the world for the health of the country if we ate far less wheat products. Unfortunately all these people are doing is replacing them with other carbohydrate that aren;t any healthier.

Gluten Enteropathy or Celiac disease as this condition is often known is a condition in which certain individuals can develop a sensitivity to Gluten which is the main protein found in wheat. While there are certainly many people who have this sensitivity and many who are still undiagnosed it has clearly become a bit of a fad. Several years back the handful of celiac patients I took care of had a very difficult time finding gluten free foods to eat. Now every pizza shop and supermarket have gluten free items and isles. Its gotten so silly that foods which have never had any gluten in them at all are now putting gluten free labels on their products. I saw potato chips the other day which exclaimed in bold letter that they were gluten free. The brand next to it said nothing about this, but the fact is ALL potatoes are gluten free. Its just become a big marketing tool now. There are several reasons why this condition seems so much more prevalent now than it once was. The primary reason is awareness. Many more people have heard of Celiac disease today than just a couple of years ago. The positive outcome of this is that more people with true celiac disease have now been properly diagnosed. Unfortunately awareness has its down side. Most adults have at some time or other experienced some of the symptoms of celiac disease ( see here]). Gastrointestinal complaints are extremely common but most people with GI issues do not have celiac disease. There are many more common explanations for most of these cases including overindulgence, obesity, reflux, gall bladder disease, gastritis, ulcers, Crohns, ulcerative colitis and on and on. One thing that has happened is that all of these people with a little bloating or acid are looking for a cure and when a couple of Tums doesnt do the trick they look for something else. Celiac disease is an easy thing to grab on to because the symptoms are so vague and its now the "in thing" to have. My wife was at a baby christening in a well to do part of town recently and when the hors d'oeuvres were brought out the waitress asked if anyone needed gluten free at which point more than half the women in the room raised their hands gleefully and said yes like they were all part of a special club. Additionally having this illness has almost become a way of saying "i'm special and need special accommodations". So there is that social aspect of the whole thing which will subside in time when something new comes along that is more popular. On the plus side it wouldn't be the worse thing in the world for the health of the country if we ate far less wheat products. Unfortunately all these people are doing is replacing them with other carbohydrate that aren;t any healthier.
Thanks, I could have guessed that would be your position. It makes sense. Its one more food fad in a long list of food fads. Lois

Quoting Mac:

On the plus side it wouldn’t be the worse thing in the world for the health of the country if we ate far less wheat products.
Hey, that sounds great. I’ll just switch from wheat products to Fritos and potato chips, right? :lol:
Occam

Quoting Mac:
On the plus side it wouldn’t be the worse thing in the world for the health of the country if we ate far less wheat products.
Hey, that sounds great. I'll just switch from wheat products to Fritos and potato chips, right? :lol: Occam
There ya go, Occam. You'll be in fine fettle before you know it! Lois
On the plus side it wouldn't be the worse thing in the world for the health of the country if we ate far less wheat products.
Probably why I avoid wheat beer like the plague. :lol:
Hey, that sounds great. I'll just switch from wheat products to Fritos and potato chips, right? :lol:Which go great with (non-wheat) beer! Take care, Derek
Quoting Mac:
Hey, that sounds great. I'll just switch from wheat products to Fritos and potato chips, right? :lol: Occam
Well the full quote was "On the plus side it wouldn’t be the worse thing in the world for the health of the country if we ate far less wheat products. Unfortunately all these people are doing is replacing them with other carbohydrate that aren't any healthier." Glad to see you putting my advice to good use Occam ;-P

Barley became the in fad about 10 years ago. Unfortunately, it has not gone away. I am allergic to barley and it is next to impossible to find bread without barley in it these days. Even french bread, which has no reason to use barley, has it. I finally found one brand that doesn’t use barley, but the last brand I used, suddenly added it a few years ago. :sick:

This is a bit off topic but allergies are being discussed here. Over the past ten years there has been an increase of kids with peanut allergies and as a result a there has been a frantic movement to eliminate all forms of peanut products from school systems, at least in our area. Signs are appearing that declare a school to be “peanut free”. This has risen to the point of fanaticism and parents are fanning the flames. They don’t even want peanut dust near their children. Is this a real problem? I’ve not done the research on the topic, just thought I’d throw it out for you guys in the medical field.
Cap’t Jack

This is a bit off topic but allergies are being discussed here. Over the past ten years there has been an increase of kids with peanut allergies and as a result a there has been a frantic movement to eliminate all forms of peanut products from school systems, at least in our area. Signs are appearing that declare a school to be "peanut free". This has risen to the point of fanaticism and parents are fanning the flames. They don't even want peanut dust near their children. Is this a real problem? I've not done the research on the topic, just thought I'd throw it out for you guys in the medical field. Cap't Jack
It certainly is a real problem. I had a young patient who died a few years ago at home from very minimal exposure to peanut products. While such tragic outcomes are very rare, even a single death of an otherwise healthy young person strikes fear in parent of other children, most of whom have much less serious allergies and even among parents of children who have no allergy at all. I think what you are seeing is a product of the modern media age with the 24 hour news cycle and the internet. Many things which are rare but potentially dangerous are publicized to such a degree that the public at large becomes overly fearful. Its hard to fault parents too much on this one though because it is sometimes difficult to predict when someone will have a fatal anaphylactic reaction. Even someone with a previously mild allergic response can become hyper-sensitized so that their next exposure may be far more severe. I'm not sure what the answer is though. While peanut allergies are more common than some others they are not the only food product capable of producing a fatal allergic reaction. We could end up having to ban many other foods and substances from school if we are going to try and provide an environment that is 100% safe. At what point do prudent measures become complete hysteria?
I think what you are seeing is a product of the modern media age with the 24 hour news cycle and the internet. Many things which are rare but potentially dangerous are publicized to such a degree that the public at large becomes overly fearful. Its hard to fault parents too much on this one though because it is sometimes difficult to predict when someone will have a fatal anaphylactic reaction. Even someone with a previously mild allergic response can become hyper-sensitized so that their next exposure may be far more severe. I’m not sure what the answer is though. While peanut allergies are more common than some others they are not the only food product capable of producing a fatal allergic reaction. We could end up having to ban many other foods and substances from school if we are going to try and provide an environment that is 100% safe. At what point do prudent measures become complete hysteria?
I'm sorry to hear about your patient Mac and I agree that any child's death is tragic. And while I know of various conditions that cause anaphylactic shock, the peanut allergy seems to be new but you're probably right about the media, e.g. Autism. It swept through here with such media blitz that there are still parents who refuse to have their children innlculated for fear of "causing" their child to become autistic. The peanut scare even effects bakeries who now offer peanut free baked goods. Unfortunately hysteric parents don't even trust their pediatricians when they try to calm them. There's even a ground nut to tree nut argument concerning which one is safe. Fear turns off reason. Thanks for the info. Cap't Jack
While peanut allergies are more common than some others they are not the only food product capable of producing a fatal allergic reaction. We could end up having to ban many other foods and substances from school if we are going to try and provide an environment that is 100% safe. At what point do prudent measures become complete hysteria?
My son's nut allergy is so severe, even having it present in a room he walks into makes him wheeze. I have a nut allergy as well, but not as severe...yet. But neither of us are allergic to peanuts. I have other allergies capable of killing me...quickly. I always taught my children that they were responsible for their lives. They cannot trust people to remember their allergy and keep them safe. After a near miss (with death) in jr high, my son has had no further reactions. It is unrealistic to expect the schools and the world around me to accommodate my allergies, even though some are quite severe. It also irritates me that many people do not understand what an allergy is. They either think 'a little bit' of the offending substance is ok, or I run into people who believe they are allergic to things they are clearly not ('magnetic fields' for instance, but food allergies are another). THAT is what makes MY life more difficult. Even a lot of the doctors I work with do not understand allergies. I had a patient allergic to heparin. The doctor came up with the brilliant idea of reducing the amount. I was off for several days, and came back to find him having an acute allergic reaction, and no one had been able to figure out the problem. They had discounted the heparin, because "there was very little in the bag". Of course as soon as I made them stop the heparin he began to improve. Even if we were to eliminate all foods from the schools, there are still allergies to things like nickel, dust, cat dander brought in on someone's clothing, perfumes or other scents, grass, flowers, trees.....etc.

To be honest, I think that most of us have allergies. Mine is pet dander (was tested and took shots for a while then the pets died later). My wife has a severe allergy to penicillin and wears a bracelet in case of an emergency. I guess I just wasn’t paying attention to the peanut allergy until now what with the warning signs posted all over schools and the cafeteria food proclaimed to be peanut oil free. But it seems to be on the rise.
Cap’t Jack