Atheist Tattoos

South side Toronto is the Lake Ontario. :cheese:

South side Toronto is the Lake Ontario.
Hmmm, ok how about north of Maple Leaf Square, and isn't there an island before you get to the lake? :) Cap't Jack

I had no idea we had a Maple Leaf Square, I had to google it. And yes, there is an island, I forgot about it. Have you been to Toronto, Jack?

I had no idea we had a Maple Leaf Square, I had to google it. And yes, there is an island, I forgot about it. Have you been to Toronto, Jack?
Many moons ago George when I was at UK. A bunch of us were drinking a case of beer at our apt. one night and were bored, I believe it was the Spring of 1970, and one of my friends said, "hey, let's drive to Toronto". So we did. Toured the city then drove back the next day. All I remember is that it appeared to be cleaner than Lexington, and everyone we met was friendly. I haven't been back since but would like to visit any historic sites that were missed when it was burned. Also Quebec and Montreal. On my bucket list. I long to hear Canadian French spoken. En Canadien Errant is one of my favorite French songs. Cap't Jack
Tattoos make people look stupid. Most atheists are too intelligent to get tattoos.
You're kidding, right? I've seen tattoos that would impress Renaissance artists. Some have incredible detail and adorn the skins of very intelligent people. being an atheist has nothing to do with body art any more than wearing earrings or a bracelet. And yes, they can be removed, painfully but permanently removed. Cap't Jack
--- The art itself may have impressed Renaissance artists but I doubt they'd be impressed by how it's displayed. I have been impressed by the design of many tattoos, myself, but I don't like the idea that they are put on skin. You said that being an atheist has nothing to do with body art any more than wearing earrings or a bracelet. But earrings and beacelets are not permanently imbedded in the skin, don't cause pain and can be removed easily. IMO, people who get tattoos haven't thought it through and atheists, in my experience tend to think things through more than most people. I could be wrong, of course, some atheists may be just as likely as anyone else to do ridiculous things to their bodies thoughtlessly. It is just my my opinion but it's based on the fact that I've seen few people who are known to me to be atheists that have tattoos. Your experience may be different.
Many moons ago George when I was at UK. A bunch of us were drinking a case of beer at our apt. one night and were bored, I believe it was the Spring of 1970, and one of my friends said, "hey, let's drive to Toronto". So we did. Toured the city then drove back the next day. All I remember is that it appeared to be cleaner than Lexington, and everyone we met was friendly. I haven't been back since but would like to visit any historic sites that were missed when it was burned. Also Quebec and Montreal. On my bucket list. I long to hear Canadian French spoken. En Canadien Errant is one of my favorite French songs. Cap't Jack
I know that exact feeling! :cheese: Ah, road trips are one of the best things about North American life, aren't they Jack? My visits to New York and Philly are the result of spontaneous road trips with friends. Awesome times!
I know that exact feeling! Ah, road trips are one of the best things about North American life, aren’t they Jack? My visits to New York and Philly are the result of spontaneous road trips with friends. Awesome times!
The thing I liked the most Mike was the freedom to do it. I miss the spontaneity of just hopping in the car and hauling ass to anywhere. Everything has to be planned now and even though we do travel, it's not the same. There are times when I miss my buds, well some of them are dead now, but we still keep in touch and there's still a hellova lot of this country I haven't seen yet. Like the Western States. Roaaaaadtrip! Cap't Jack

The last time we went spontaneously on a trip was years ago when we still had only two kids. I remember we woke up one Monday morning and I told my wife I wasn’t busy at work and why don’t we drive to Florida. And so we did. We packed in about an hour and left; we forgot to bring any CDs with us except for the Supertramp one we had in the car and played it over and over all the way there. It was one of the most fun things we ever did.
Then I heard Pinker say one day that it is irresponsible to take a family on a road trip as it is statistically very dangerous and I’ve never done it again. Stupid statistics. :long:

Then I heard Pinker say one day that it is irresponsible to take a family on a road trip as it is statistically very dangerous and I’ve never done it again. Stupid statistics.
Yeah, having a family really puts the kibosh The spontaneous road trips, especially with our granddaughters but hey, anyway you look at it every time you're on the road you are at risk statistically as more people use their cell phones, do drugs, drink, read, turn to smack the kid to make him shut the hell up, play the radio on 10 (very distracting) daydream, or suffer from highway hypnosis. Solutions? Bring back rail service, make it high speed, and mass transportation. Make it cheap and accessible. extend metro lines out from major cities. But I guess that's another topic. Oh, and you could fly instead of drive but if the sequester kicks in you'll be waiting hours to get on the plane. Cap't Jack

Yeah, we still go on vacations, but now we fly each time. I guess I am being a responsible parent. :smirk:

Yeah, we still go on vacations, but now we fly each time. I guess I am being a responsible parent.
I know, but responsible can sometimes be Sooo not fun! Safe, but not fun. Cap't Jack
Yeah, we still go on vacations, but now we fly each time. I guess I am being a responsible parent.
I know, but responsible can sometimes be Sooo not fun! Safe, but not fun. Cap't Jack
Sure, but there are many pros and cons to both driving and flying. It takes two hours to fly to Florida from Buffalo (much cheaper than flying from Toronto) versus the two days one needs to get there driving. Being in a car with kids for two days can be fun--if you forget about the non-fun part.
The art itself may have impressed Renaissance artists but I doubt they’d be impressed by how it’s displayed. I have been impressed by the design of many tattoos, myself, but I don’t like the idea that they are put on skin. You said that being an atheist has nothing to do with body art any more than wearing earrings or a bracelet. But earrings and beacelets are not permanently imbedded in the skin, don’t cause pain and can be removed easily. IMO, people who get tattoos haven’t thought it through and atheists, in my experience tend to think things through more than most people. I could be wrong, of course, some atheists may be just as likely as anyone else to do ridiculous things to their bodies thoughtlessly. It is just my my opinion but it’s based on the fact that I’ve seen few people who are known to me to be atheists that have tattoos. Your experience may be different.
IMO the only reason they wouldn't be impressed is the desecration of "god's temple" BS. Putting art on skin is obviously a matter of personal preference and is a form of outward expression for the wearer. It also has historic signifance, being imitated by British sailors who borrowed the idea from the Tahitians in the 1820's. As to thinking it through, I've never met anyone with a tattoo who didn't plan one, not just the art but the place to display it. Excepting prison tats (done by amateurs with primative tools), they all were tastefully done and accurate depictions of scenes, symbols or cartoons. And once again, any tattoo can be removed at will by a laser process that literally wipes out the ink. And as to atheists getting tattoos, atheism is merely a nonbelief in god, not adornment. Getting your body inked has no relation to your personal philosophy any more than stereotyping all intelligent kids on the playground as nearsighted nerds. Getting a tattoo doesn't make you a member of a biker gang. Cap't Jack

Dude, I’ve seen some god awful, and I mean GOD AWFUL, tattoos on people who spent a lot of time planning them out. They just had a terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE idea and never should have gotten it done. (Like the one my gf’s sister has. Good god that thing is stupid. Shame on her.) And tattoo removal isn’t really that easy. It’s painful, expensive, and doesn’t always fully remove the ink even after several treatments. In many cases it’s just cheaper and easier to cover the thing up with a different one. Although that’s not always an option. Like with a face tattoo. No matter what you do, you still look like a toolbag.
And for a mountain of horrid, poorly done, and ill conceived tattoos go here.
EDIT
Added things.
And correctitudes.

I find the single word glyphs in Asian languages to be quite humorous. :lol: "It means death." "Okay.... Why not cookie? Or even sex? Why death?" (Or honor or blah, blah, blah...) Probably don't need to worry, how many folks would know that's an atheist symbol? Take care, Derek
Jeez and I thought it was a very neat variation of the Anarchy "A" :sick: yea, those Asian glyphs are cool, but on someone else, preferably a young cutie.
What about this as a tattoo? http://dunedinschool.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/3168794.jpg Cap't Jack
:lol: :lol: :lol: OK now I gotta clean up the keyboard- That's a keeper!

Agreed, but she’s really thinking about Moisha, the town rabbi.
Occam

Agreed, but she’s really thinking about Moisha, the town rabbi. Occam
Oy, that Moishe, what a mensch! Cap't Jack
I know that exact feeling! Ah, road trips are one of the best things about North American life, aren’t they Jack? My visits to New York and Philly are the result of spontaneous road trips with friends. Awesome times!
The thing I liked the most Mike was the freedom to do it. I miss the spontaneity of just hopping in the car and hauling ass to anywhere. Everything has to be planned now and even though we do travel, it's not the same. There are times when I miss my buds, well some of them are dead now, but we still keep in touch and there's still a hellova lot of this country I haven't seen yet. Like the Western States. Roaaaaadtrip! Cap't Jack
Well, some of us on this board are out here in California. We've got some sights to see if you ever get out this way. :-) (Did I mention we also have lots of local beer? Anchor Steam for one here in the SF Bay Area. :lol:) Take care, Derek
Cap't Jack
Well, some of us on this board are out here in California. We've got some sights to see if you ever get out this way. :-) (Did I mention we also have lots of local beer? Anchor Steam for one here in the SF Bay Area. :lol:) Take care, Derek Have you been to the breweries in Berkeley or San Leandro yet? There is a winery in Alameda too.