Are dreams better than reality?

Just be careful what you wish. You might find yourself stuck in a dream where you're a robot named Arthur parking cars at The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Seriously, I have found that people who think life is boring either lack imagination or have psychological problems such as depression.
Or they see life for how limited it really is only to be tormented by their imagination (because compared to what the mind dreams up reality is lacking). I think people find it interesting because they don't have a good imagination. According to your logic scientists lack imagination.
Just be careful what you wish. You might find yourself stuck in a dream where you're a robot named Arthur parking cars at The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Seriously, I have found that people who think life is boring either lack imagination or have psychological problems such as depression.
Or they see life for how limited it really is only to be tormented by their imagination (because compared to what the mind dreams up reality is lacking). I think people find it interesting because they don't have a good imagination. Just never get where you're coming from Tita. Scientists go to movies, they read fantasy, in fact they're kinda stereotyped as being the ones that drive the LOTR and Star * franchises. I don't know anyone who is "tormented" by their imagination, instead everyone I know is inspired by it. Willie Wonka nailed that one beautifully. Our ability to dream, then reach for our dreams is what has led us to improve our lot of living in caves and wandering around in deserts.
And this universe isn't wondrous, is limited (also that's a personal opinion not a reason).
True enough it all comes down to what you choose to be present to. Not exactly. It's a limited place bound by laws. Plus I think this explains where I'm coming from: http://lucidability.com/dreams-vs-reality/Ah, lucid dreaming. That is something which woo merchants have co-opted even though there's no evidence it exists as most people think. There is evidence] that a limited consciousness is sometimes possible while dreaming, though no evidence that we can actually control the dreams. There actually is proof that lucid dreaming exists, not to mention tons of accounts of people actually doing it.The evidence doesn't prove lucid dreaming real, it only proves that consciousness is possible while dreaming. Lucid dreaming advocates extrapolate that data to the concept of being able to intentionally control your dreams. This is how woo merchants operate.
And this universe isn't wondrous, is limited (also that's a personal opinion not a reason).
True enough it all comes down to what you choose to be present to. Not exactly. It's a limited place bound by laws. Plus I think this explains where I'm coming from: http://lucidability.com/dreams-vs-reality/Ah, lucid dreaming. That is something which woo merchants have co-opted even though there's no evidence it exists as most people think. There is evidence] that a limited consciousness is sometimes possible while dreaming, though no evidence that we can actually control the dreams. There actually is proof that lucid dreaming exists, not to mention tons of accounts of people actually doing it.The evidence doesn't prove lucid dreaming real, it only proves that consciousness is possible while dreaming. Lucid dreaming advocates extrapolate that data to the concept of being able to intentionally control your dreams. This is how woo merchants operate. Well there seem to be a great many kind of personal accounts for it.
Or they see life for how limited it really is only to be tormented by their imagination (because compared to what the mind dreams up reality is lacking). I think people find it interesting because they don't have a good imagination. Just never get where you're coming from Tita. Scientists go to movies, they read fantasy, in fact they're kinda stereotyped as being the ones that drive the LOTR and Star * franchises. I don't know anyone who is "tormented" by their imagination, instead everyone I know is inspired by it. Willie Wonka nailed that one beautifully. Our ability to dream, then reach for our dreams is what has led us to improve our lot of living in caves and wandering around in deserts. They have rather limited imagination. Also that quote is idiotic. That's for realistic dreams, AKA boring. When you have dreams that don't and cannot come true, you tend to find the dreaming world preferable to the waking one. I am tormented because I know my imagination can never come to pass. Everything I dream is forever out of reach. So I don't get where you are coming from when you say scientists have imagination. They seem too grounded by reality.

Never heard anyone say it’s a problem for someone to be grounded. That’s not a compliment.

Well there seem to be a great many kind of personal accounts for it.
Anecdotal evidence is worthless for proving things.
I mean why choose to be awake in a limited reality rather than one where anything is possible?
Many people do choose to live in a dream world like you suggest. They're called drug addicts. You can choose that path too. Otherwise, as pleasant as SOME of my dreams are, my darn body just always seems to wake itself up. So unless you CHOOSE put yourself into a permanent dream state with drugs or otherwise, your body doesn't seem to care one bit about your "choice". Which is why some people try, for better or worse, to simulate their dreams in reality.

Exactly CuthbertJ. Even without the drugs, just attempting to avoid reality and stare at the walls and day-dream all day, it’s basically the same thing. Normally, I’d respond to this question with “go ahead, try it”, but Tita seems very susceptible to suggestion and buys into terrible ideas without thinking.
SO I’M NOT SUGGESTING DREAMING ALL DAY.
I actually have spent some time in a semi-vegetative state, doing nothing. You get bored. You can’t stay asleep, and you have to at least think about feeding yourself now and then, but even just disengaging is not natural. You start to feel something is wrong at some point. It’s normal to want to be “grounded in reality”. Even people who have a supernatural worldview belief their view is real. The only thing left to discuss is, what is normal, and I don’t think we can do that here.

One of the many reasons I enjoy table-top role-playing games of various genres. :wink: You get to imagine with a group of friends that you’re something that you’re not for a few hours. Casting mighty spells, hewing fell beasts with your two-handed sword, saving the rebels with your light saber, gunfight at high noon, et al.
This thread also reminds me of the book I recently finished: Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.
But to answer your question: Not to me.
Take care,
Derek

Exactly CuthbertJ. Even without the drugs, just attempting to avoid reality and stare at the walls and day-dream all day, it's basically the same thing. Normally, I'd respond to this question with "go ahead, try it", but Tita seems very susceptible to suggestion and buys into terrible ideas without thinking. SO I'M NOT SUGGESTING DREAMING ALL DAY. I actually have spent some time in a semi-vegetative state, doing nothing. You get bored. You can't stay asleep, and you have to at least think about feeding yourself now and then, but even just disengaging is not natural. You start to feel something is wrong at some point. It's normal to want to be "grounded in reality". Even people who have a supernatural worldview belief their view is real. The only thing left to discuss is, what is normal, and I don't think we can do that here.
Why would such a thing be a terrible idea?

If dreams were not believed to be “better than reality” by billions of people, there wouldn’t be so many people following religion in the world. Religion is the perfect place for dreamers.

This is why I don't respond seriously to you. What are you even asking? I explained what's wrong with your idea, so what are you asking? You respond as if you are a robot, incapable of actual engagement.
This is why I don't respond seriously to you. What are you even asking? I explained what's wrong with your idea, so what are you asking? You respond as if you are a robot, incapable of actual engagement. You may on to something there, Lausten.
This is why I don't respond seriously to you. What are you even asking? I explained what's wrong with your idea, so what are you asking? You respond as if you are a robot, incapable of actual engagement. You didn't really say why staying in such a dream world would be bad
This is why I don't respond seriously to you. What are you even asking? I explained what's wrong with your idea, so what are you asking? You respond as if you are a robot, incapable of actual engagement. You didn't really say why staying in such a dream world would be bad Yes, yes I did. As did others. You would die. Is that clear? Every nerve in your body is wired for you to not do that. Sleeping and dreaming is nice and comforting because you need to do it sometimes. Eating sugar is also awesome, but if you do that all the time, you'll get sick and die. Same thing.
This is why I don't respond seriously to you. What are you even asking? I explained what's wrong with your idea, so what are you asking? You respond as if you are a robot, incapable of actual engagement. You didn't really say why staying in such a dream world would be bad Yes, yes I did. As did others. You would die. Is that clear? Every nerve in your body is wired for you to not do that. Sleeping and dreaming is nice and comforting because you need to do it sometimes. Eating sugar is also awesome, but if you do that all the time, you'll get sick and die. Same thing. I'll also add that if everyone were in a dream world nothing would get done. No advances in science, no garbage pickup, no one maintaining infrastructure, no one growing crops... We'd all die. If you dropped out and stayed in a dream world you would be completely dependent on other people for your survival with no means to protect yourself. You'd also wallow in your own feces until someone else cleaned your ass and changed your sheets. Doesn't sound like much fun to me. If you want to live like that go right ahead. Wait. How are you going to achieve this state of dreaming without interruption? Who is going to pay for your care? Where will you stay? You need to think these things through.
This is why I don't respond seriously to you. What are you even asking? I explained what's wrong with your idea, so what are you asking? You respond as if you are a robot, incapable of actual engagement. You didn't really say why staying in such a dream world would be bad Because sooner or later you'll win a Darwin Award. Darwin Awards recognize individuals who have supposedly contributed to human evolution by selecting themselves out of the gene pool via death or sterilization by their own actions. Lois
This is why I don't respond seriously to you. What are you even asking? I explained what's wrong with your idea, so what are you asking? You respond as if you are a robot, incapable of actual engagement. You didn't really say why staying in such a dream world would be bad Yes, yes I did. As did others. You would die. Is that clear? Every nerve in your body is wired for you to not do that. Sleeping and dreaming is nice and comforting because you need to do it sometimes. Eating sugar is also awesome, but if you do that all the time, you'll get sick and die. Same thing. I'll also add that if everyone were in a dream world nothing would get done. No advances in science, no garbage pickup, no one maintaining infrastructure, no one growing crops... We'd all die. If you dropped out and stayed in a dream world you would be completely dependent on other people for your survival with no means to protect yourself. You'd also wallow in your own feces until someone else cleaned your ass and changed your sheets. Doesn't sound like much fun to me. If you want to live like that go right ahead. Wait. How are you going to achieve this state of dreaming without interruption? Who is going to pay for your care? Where will you stay? You need to think these things through. Let's assume it was possible and you died as a result, why would it be bad? You would die in a world where you could do anything instead of sloging through a limited one.
This is why I don't respond seriously to you. What are you even asking? I explained what's wrong with your idea, so what are you asking? You respond as if you are a robot, incapable of actual engagement. You didn't really say why staying in such a dream world would be bad Yes, yes I did. As did others. You would die. Is that clear? Every nerve in your body is wired for you to not do that. Sleeping and dreaming is nice and comforting because you need to do it sometimes. Eating sugar is also awesome, but if you do that all the time, you'll get sick and die. Same thing. I'll also add that if everyone were in a dream world nothing would get done. No advances in science, no garbage pickup, no one maintaining infrastructure, no one growing crops... We'd all die. If you dropped out and stayed in a dream world you would be completely dependent on other people for your survival with no means to protect yourself. You'd also wallow in your own feces until someone else cleaned your ass and changed your sheets. Doesn't sound like much fun to me. If you want to live like that go right ahead. Wait. How are you going to achieve this state of dreaming without interruption? Who is going to pay for your care? Where will you stay? You need to think these things through. Let's assume it was possible and you died as a result, why would it be bad? You would die in a world where you could do anything instead of sloging through a limited one. So wallowing in your own feces while everyone in the world dies sounds like a good idea to you? Or perhaps you're imagining an idealized dream world where technicians take care of all your needs while you blissfully waste away in la la land. OK, you've won the lottery and can afford this. Go ahead. Think only of yourself and don't do anything to make the world a better place. Give up. Drop out. Have a nice sleep.