An illustration of how true belief hurts people

You know what though, as long as it’s an adult withholding treatment only for themselves, not for their kids, then I say more power to them. (And only when they have no kids depending on them or their death won’t impact others directly.) These people believe a certain way, and they act on their beliefs even if it means their own death.
This is kind of like those bumper stickers: “Jesus is my co-pilot”. I want to ask the driver: Do you really believe that? If so let go of the wheel. You just know 99% of them wouldn’t have the courage of their convictions like the folks in the article. (Of course in a car it’s a little different because the car could kill an innocent bystander, but you get my point.)

While it isn’t technically illegal to commit suicide it can pose a legal problem for the executors of the will, supposing you have one, it is a potential nightmare. Unfortunately, Most people don’t even bother to make one. So if you want to kill yourself for religious reasons so be it, just don’t attempt to assist someone as that IS illegal in most states and you are in effect committing suicide by deliberately refusing medication that would extend your life. That being said, via con Dios, and don’t forget to pick up your Darwin award on your way out.
Cap’t Jack

Just a technical thought. I don’t think anyone who is no longer able to reproduce (for whatever reason) or anyone who has already reproduced, should be eligible for a Darwin Award.

This dude is mentally sick. How can anyone be so stupid?

Just a technical thought. I don’t think anyone who is no longer able to reproduce (for whatever reason) or anyone who has already reproduced, should be eligible for a Darwin Award.
Then who does that leaves us with Tim? It eliminates the elderly and individuals with kids, leaving prepubescent children unable to reproduce. There are a lot of Jackass followers more than willing to hop in a shopping cart and roll down steep stairs. Are you saying that they shouldn't reproduce and spread the stupid gene!? If so then I agree wholeheartedly even though it was adrenaline and not religiously motivated. Of course in our country there's probably a shopping cart cult out there somewhere. We do have freedom of religion here ya know. Cap't Jack

I’m just saying, that if they have no prospects of reproducing, then by killing themselves, they did no service to furthering human evolution. Hence, a Darwin Award is not technically appropriate. Only those who have prospects for reproduction can effect the gene pool by taking themselves out of the running.
I suppose, those who have already reproduced, and are still fertile, could still be eligible, for the Darwin Award, but I would add an asterisk to their award, as they may have already passed on their “stupid” genes.

I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek about the Darwin Award stuff, but a serious thought occurred to me.
Our society honors those who reproduce. We have a Mother’s Day, and a Father’s Day. But we have no holiday to honor those who have chosen not to reproduce. I have a friend who has never had kids, and I expect, never will, because he believes/recognizes? that he would not be a good father. I think we, as a society, should honor such persons. They deserve awards (Darwin or otherwise).

I have noticed that I can learn what you, guys, really believe about topics such as eugenics and IQ, when you get angry at something else than eugenics and IQ. :slight_smile:

I have noticed that I can learn what you, guys, really believe about topics such as eugenics and IQ, when you get angry at something else than eugenics and IQ. :-)
Oh really? I'm not angry about anything in this thread, so I guess you can't discern, from it, what I believe about eugenics and IQ. Could you give an example of your new found ability?