Alan Grayson

He now receives hate mail messages daily.

Now the Nazis REALLY Hate Me
Yesterday I had the temerity, the gall, the (dare I say it?) chutzpah to point out that for the past five months, every single elected Republican in Congress was a white Christian.
The Nazis are not pleased. Frankly, I have never been a favorite of theirs, but now they are really pissed off.
The “white nationalists" congregate at an online watering hole called Stormfront.org. The home page, in Fraktur font (look it up), proudly boast that “Every Month is White History Month". Stormfront.org is famous for, among other things, trying to dictate the results of a Fox News online poll on racial segregation, because it takes one to know one, or something like that.
Lest you think that this is a non-serious matter, please be advised that according to the Southern Poverty Law Center, Stormfront members have murdered almost 100 people during the past five years alone. No Members of Congress yet, though.
So yesterday at Stormfront, under the heading “News," subheading “Politics & Continuing Crises," there popped up a report called “Jew revealed: Florida Rep. Alan Grayson attacks GOP as the party of white Christians."
The writer explained his sad tale: “I tried to unsubscribe before[,] yet this Jew keeps sending me his lunatic Europhobic and anti-Christian rant that reeks of atavistic hatred." [Note to neo-Nazis: Punctuation has a purpose. Use it properly.]
Talk about “atavistic hatred." He didn’t call me a schweinhund. But he wanted to. I could tell.
The author’s signature line asserts that the “U.S. was founded as an exclusive Anglo-Saxon nation, according to Founding Fathers’ preference." He overlooks more than 600,000 slaves, who made up 42% of the population of South Carolina, 39% of the population of Virginia, 35% of the population of Georgia and 32% of the population of … Maryland. Not to mention leftover colonists from France, Spain, the Netherlands and Sweden. And the “Injuns," too.
Someone else posted my missive as a picture file, with the file name “jew white hate."
I feel constrained to mention that I did not actually “attack" the GOP for being the party of White Christians. I simply observed that for the past five months, every single elected GOP Member of Congress (all 250+ of them) has been a White Christian. Maybe it’s a coincidence. Let’s see: 27% of all Americans are black, mixed race or Asian. 24% do not identify themselves as Christians. Let’s suppose that half of all Americans are white, self-identified Christians, and half are not. What are the chances that 250 of the white Christians just randomly would end up as the Republicans in Congress, and 0 of the others?
Answer: 0.28 percent. There is a 0.28% chance that it’s all just a terrible misunderstanding. And a 99.72% chance that it’s not.
Listen, Nazis: Achtung! The leitmotif of the GOP is not simply that when it comes to choosing GOP kommandants, all others are told Raus! It’s that the GOP says ja! – nein,Wonderbar! – to every bigoted policy that comes down the autobahn. Blocking immigration reform: Ja! Gutting affirmative action:Ja! Suppressing the vote: Ja! Denying a woman’s right to choose: Ja! Denying the pink triangles the right to get married: Ja!
Am I attacking the GOP tribe for all of that? Ja. Because that creates aweltschmerz that I loathe.
There are two planks in the GOP’s platform today. One is hatred. The other is fear. As I listen to their “debate" on the Floor of the House each day, I think of Rodney King’s very pertinent question: “Can we all get along?"
Courage,
Rep. Alan Grayson
Now the Nazis REALLY Hate Me

There is the possibility that we are looking at this the wrong way. Is it possible that non-christians and non-whites simply want nothing to do with the republican party rather than the other way around?

There is the possibility that we are looking at this the wrong way. Is it possible that non-christians and non-whites simply want nothing to do with the republican party rather than the other way around?
That seems reasonable. Should we therefore expect that non-Christian, non-whites would be over-represented in the only other viable party? I haven't checked, yet, but I doubt that it is the case.
That seems reasonable. Should we therefore expect that non-Christian, non-whites would be over-represented in the only other viable party? I haven't checked, yet, but I doubt that it is the case. I think its clear that a disproportionate number of blacks, hispanics, jews, and atheists would identify as democrats
That seems reasonable. Should we therefore expect that non-Christian, non-whites would be over-represented in the only other viable party? I haven't checked, yet, but I doubt that it is the case. I think its clear that a disproportionate number of blacks, hispanics, jews, and atheists would identify as democrats Sure, but the article was referencing elected officials, in Congress.

A cursory examination of the percentages of US Congressmen by religion, revealed that Judaism is way over-represented in terms of the percent of the population, though not nearly so much so as Christians.
On a positive note, one can, potentially, be Jewish and also an atheist, so maybe some Congress persons who identify as Jewish, are actually atheists. (I know, I’m grasping at straws.)
The most under-represented is “no affiliation" (only 1 congress-person is listed as “none"). So that is a small fraction of 1%, when compared to the population of persons in the US who are unaffiliated with any religion, which is close to 20%.
There is 1 Muslim, and a small number of Hindu and Buddhists (1 or 2 or so, not sure), but these religions are a pretty small portion of the US population.
I didn’t look as closely at the member’s racial identity, but if we’re talking Hispanics, there ARE (white) Hispanic Republicans in Congress.
There are a good percentage of black congress persons (all democrats), but I’m not sure that it is up to the % of blacks in the US population.

accidental re-post.

The most under-represented is “no affiliation" (only 1 congress-person is listed as “none"). So that is a small fraction of 1%, when compared to the population of persons in the US who are unaffiliated with any religion, which is close to 20%.
And we have a tie, the Native Americans, those who were first here and who were the LAST minority to obtain the vote (1924), exactly 1. Brutal irony. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-lucey/113th-congress-by-the-num_b_2737382.html Cap't Jack
Good point but it doesn't explain why they win so many elections. There are opposing candidates. Lois
And we have a tie, the Native Americans, those who were first here and who were the LAST minority to obtain the vote (1924), exactly 1. Brutal irony. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-lucey/113th-congress-by-the-num_b_2737382.html Cap't Jack
What if you are a Native American who is Atheist? Ouch.... I won't be around for it, but wouldn't it be cool, if we, someday, elected an atheist Native American to be POTUS?