ACLU Going After Catholic Hospitals!

Specifically over their stance on abortion.]

The American Civil Liberties Union announced on Monday that it has filed a lawsuit against the nation’s Roman Catholic bishops, arguing that their anti-abortion directives to Catholic hospitals hamper proper care of pregnant women in medical medical distress, leading to medical negligence. The suit was filed in federal court in Wisconsin on Friday on behalf of a woman who says she did not receive accurate information or care at a Catholic hospital there, exposing her to dangerous infections after her water broke at 18 weeks of pregnancy. In an unusual step, she is not suing the hospital, Mercy Health Partners in Muskegon, but rather the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. Its ethical and religious directives, the suit alleges, require Catholic hospitals to avoid abortion or referrals, “even when doing so places a woman’s health or life at risk." The suit opens a new front in the clash over religious rights and medical care. The Catholic Church has fought against requiring all health plans to include coverage of contraception and is likely to call the new lawsuit an attack on its core religious principles. Catholic hospitals account for about one in six of the country’s hospital beds and in many regions their influence is spreading as they forge alliances with non-Catholic medical groups.
I hope it doesn't take a case like what happened to Savita Halappanavar] to get this changed.
Specifically over their stance on abortion.]
The American Civil Liberties Union announced on Monday that it has filed a lawsuit against the nation’s Roman Catholic bishops, arguing that their anti-abortion directives to Catholic hospitals hamper proper care of pregnant women in medical medical distress, leading to medical negligence. The suit was filed in federal court in Wisconsin on Friday on behalf of a woman who says she did not receive accurate information or care at a Catholic hospital there, exposing her to dangerous infections after her water broke at 18 weeks of pregnancy. In an unusual step, she is not suing the hospital, Mercy Health Partners in Muskegon, but rather the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. Its ethical and religious directives, the suit alleges, require Catholic hospitals to avoid abortion or referrals, “even when doing so places a woman’s health or life at risk." The suit opens a new front in the clash over religious rights and medical care. The Catholic Church has fought against requiring all health plans to include coverage of contraception and is likely to call the new lawsuit an attack on its core religious principles. Catholic hospitals account for about one in six of the country’s hospital beds and in many regions their influence is spreading as they forge alliances with non-Catholic medical groups.
I hope it doesn't take a case like what happened to Savita Halappanavar] to get this changed.
It might. They won't give up without a war. Lois

There have already been a lot of close calls that I have heard about. The problem is that the patients don’t recognize poor care, unless they have some medical savvy. They refuse to do D&C’s for impending miscarriages to prevent septic infection. This should be illegal. I don’t even think the hospitals mind paying the families when they lose lawsuits. Their dogma means more to them than lives.

The buffalo News had an article this morning on this. Apparently, the issue is getting fairly wide spread publicity!

The buffalo News had an article this morning on this. Apparently, the issue is getting fairly wide spread publicity!
Great, I hope they are pressured into change. It is scary how many areas there are in the country where women have no choice but to use their facilities.