Abortion

Chris Hayes: Control is now a pillar of the Republican vision

May 19, 2023 - #msnbc #republicans #desantis

“Control over your body, your self-expression, your gender identity, your children, your family is what the Republican Party has been obsessed with in these last few years, all over the country, in every state where they have political power,” says Chris Hayes.

By Frances Stead Sellers, Thomas Simonetti and Maggie Penman - May 19, 2023 at 6:00 a.m.
The state’s ban on abortion after 15 weeks of gestation has an exception for fatal fetal abnormalities. But as long as their baby’s heart kept beating, the Dorberts say, doctors would not honor their request to terminate the pregnancy. The doctors would not say how they reached their decision, but the new law carries severe penalties, including prison time, for medical practitioners who run afoul of it. The hospital system declined to discuss the case.

Instead, the Dorberts would have to wait for labor to be induced at 37 weeks. …

By Ruth Marcus - Associate editor, May 19, 2023
Baby Milo’s grandfather thought he might have hiccups. Instead, the newborn was gasping for air. Born without kidneys, his lungs underdeveloped, Milo Evan Dorbert lived for all of 99 minutes. The cause of death was Potter syndrome, discovered at 23 weeks of pregnancy. The cause of unnecessary suffering, for Milo and his family, was a Florida law that doctors said prevented them from terminating the pregnancy, even though it was clear the condition would be fatal.

“To me it’s just pure torture,” said Peter Rogell, the baby’s grandfather. “The law has created torture.” I hope every lawmaker who voted for it, and the governor who signed it, reads, and is haunted by, The Post’s searing account, by Frances Stead Sellers, Thomas Simonetti and Maggie Penman.

The law’s advocates insist that they intended to create an exception to allow abortions in such cases: …

I have a few thing to say to the self-righteous totalitarian Christians who believe in this sort of sadistic disregard for other’s reality - but better hold my tongue . . .

Here’s my more consider feelings on the matter: