1776: a sign of recovery since 9/11/2001

A new sign of recovery is been erected. Sometimes called the Freedom Tower, sometimes the 1776 tower, it is a great monument to democracy. :slight_smile: Its a good thing.
Chamfered and tapered corners on the usual glass curtian, it has some style.
Speaking of towers, I was at the top of the original World Trade Center, I remember it. I’ve been to the top of the Willis (Sears) Tower too. Taipei 1 is a good looking one. :slight_smile: The next link is a nice comparison between towers, measuring things up. I figure that a 23 second video is not too much video for this simple thread, or did everyone already see video of the tower being topped, that video did air in NYC?
NEIU: World’s Talest Buildings]
NY1 (23 second video): Final Sections Of WTC Spire Make Final Ascent]
Daniel Libeskind and David Childs, architects of the Freedom Tower. I hope they are happy with how it turned out. I remember how NYers didn’t like the first towers, not until years later anyway. I hope people like this one better.

I don’t know, there seems to be something unsavory and a little ridiculous about metaphorically “thumping our chests and showing off the size of our you know what” to show the world we’re a great country, or to sooth our egos. Isn’t that part of what got us into trouble in the first place…“exceptionalism” ?

I don't know, there seems to be something unsavory and a little ridiculous about metaphorically "thumping our chests and showing off the size of our you know what" to show the world we're a great country, or to sooth our egos. Isn't that part of what got us into trouble in the first place..."exceptionalism" ?
shhhh, you're sounding a little un-American there. Thumping our chest and feeling smug in our god given "exceptionalism" is still job one. That's why we continue ignoring the state of our world - while focusing on selling more weapons of mass destruction to the world in order to save the world from weapons of mass destruction. With a business plan like that, who can lose? http://www.statisticbrain.com/military-arms-sales-statistics/ http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/mar/02/arms-sales-top-100-producers

Having said that, what a job, what pucker effect up there for those iron workers. It is an incredible building project.
Although regarding the video, I’m sorry they cut-away from the insertion of the last section - before the sludge hammers were brought out. Would have been nice watching that thing plop into place (1:45)
Topping Out One World Trade Center (May 10th, 2013)- ASharmaEarth411

I’ve been to the top of the ESB, the Sears Tower and wanted to visit the Twin towers before those fanatic assholes destroyed them. One of the saddest times I can remember was looking down into the hole that was left and reading the rememberance cards left in the fence by friends and family near the hospital where they took the wounded. I don’t want to sound maudlin but to me it’s a memorial to those innocents who were killed for no other reason than misplaced religious fanaticism. Call it a stainless steel gig finger to troglodytic thought.
Cap’t Jack

I've been to the top of the ESB, the Sears Tower and wanted to visit the Twin towers before those fanatic assholes destroyed them. One of the saddest times I can remember was looking down into the hole that was left and reading the rememberance cards left in the fence by friends and family near the hospital where they took the wounded. I don't want to sound maudlin but to me it's a memorial to those innocents who were killed for no other reason than misplaced religious fanaticism. Call it a stainless steel gig finger to troglodytic thought. Cap't Jack
I like it. They could sell souveneirs of the top of the freedom tower, that slip over one's middle finger.