15 Years Late

To me, it proves that there is no “hidden” motivated agency other than a stochastic logic in evolutionary processes that can be understood and symbolized with human mathematics, but not by mystical religious rituals aimed to please some higher power…

Slime mould finds shortest path to food (in yellow). Photo: Nature
https://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2000/09/28/189608.htm

image ![image|233x224]

The terms teleology, purpose, finalism are used by those who study behavior as moving toward ends or goals. The word teleology derives from the Greek telos , meaning “end.” Individual Psychology considers all behavior (thought, feeling, and action) as purposive, that is, as movement in line with the individual’s life-style goals (whether or not the purpose of the movement is consciously understood by the individual). [See Fictional Goal/ Guiding Fiction/ Fictional Finalism.]
https://www.adlerpedia.org/concepts/12

Hunger is a powerful goal oriented physical phenomenon. It is already expressed in the world of chemistry,

Who did you read, might I ask?

It all started on a Christian men’s retreat, where a progressive pastor had us interpret The Parable of the Talents, where the 3rd slave buries his money and calls the master wicked. The master is often interpreted as God, and that didn’t seem right to me, so I hit the Google, and found Gustav Gutierrez had a different take on it, saying the slave was a warning to Jesus’ followers, that if you speak up against oppression, you will get banished to the outer darkness.

I had a pastor at the time who actually met Gutierrez, and he had some other books. I don’t remember the others, but here’s my most complete bibliography. Religious Deviant: My Bibliography

I think I got Boff mixed up with Segundo somewhere along the line. And I never found a direct link to Gutierrez and the Talents, just people talking about it, but I did find William Herzog’s “Parables as Subversive Speech” which discusses that parable and others and references many other theologians. Somehow, that one is not in the Bibliogrpahy. Maybe by time you hit the link, I’ll have fixed that.

1 Like

That’s a fine beholder’s share of Gutierrez. Reminds me of Pete Rollins. Not in the writer’s intent of course. I take your point that that isn’t how Jesus’ God is, although He’s plenty of ironically named Evangelicals’ God.

I realise that I caught the later post-Evangelical wave of progressives and missed out on Cupitt as I was up my cultic colon at the time. I saw him from there and didn’t give him the time of day.