Wow signal from behind Proxima Centauri

This is my first day so if the topic bores you just ignore it.

Recently I read the story about the Wow signal that may of come from the Alpha Centauri system it appeared to be coming from behind Proxima Centauri possible the planet they say for sure it was not coming from the star. BLC1 is a curious radio signal detected on April 29, 2019, BLC1 was a very narrow band radio signal. It occupied the 982 MHz radio spectrum, which is normally used by satellites and spacecraft. It was also only detected once over 30 hours in April and May, 2019. It could be an echo from us or a natural unknown source. The radio signal is coming from behind Proxima Centauri—possibly millions of light-years behind . So it may not be from the nearby star system. Information will be released soon on the signal’s profile, strength and modulation which has not been released. It is very similar to the Wow signal found in 1977. This would be cool - having aliens right next door but I’m sure the chances are pretty slim to none.

If it is not a mistake and if the signal is artificial intentional it would be great. There have been false hopes in the past.

Just yesterday talked to a friend of mine and we discussed the possibility of meeting aliens in the future.

And yes, we also discussed the signal you mentioned above. But the thing is… Do we really need alien civilizations to appear?

For sure, right now we have radio and online systems for checking spam messages, tracking GPS and etc. For instance, phone lookup website is already working on it – how to track people and how to find an information by simply typing the phone number.

But what to do with signals from outer space and outer RIM? I think we need to understand one key thing: with all signals we are trying to send in space we are agreeing on the risk to be destroyed. And it is not a joke!

That is the gold medal of spam. I’ll leave for a while, just to admire it

1 Like

Well, that’s not actually a spam. I am sorry that it looks like it…

Really, a phone lookup website?

1 Like

Why not?

You can find it yourself anywhere. There are plenty of them. And they are useful, even though some may consider they are not.

Plus it is something like a little joke with a truth inside :sunny:

I am about my post :3

The reason why this one is so interesting is a earth like planet is orbiting the star in the habitable zone. Two planets have been found orbiting this star which is the closes star to earth with the exception of the Sun. The second planet is considered to be a gas giant orbiting further out from the star.

1 Like

Given the trillions (literally) of stars and multiple that of planets it is difficult to believe that other technological civilizations are not out there somewhere, or at least, were in the past or will be in the future. Proxima Centauri is as good a place as anywhere else. I mean that literally. Given that there are no preferred frames of laws of physics why would there be preferred frames of the sciences of biology and evolution which are themselves ultimately based on physics*? I clearly recognize that the speed of light is a limit to communication as well as visitation. But, when we say that we are thinking in terms of human values. Frankly, even if perchance they look similar to us, aliens (to us) won’t be human in their evolution or culture. The idea of getting on a generational starship to go elsewhere in the Universe over a period of decades, centuries or even millennia may not be as daunting to them as it is to us. Waiting years for response to communication may not be as daunting to them as it is to humans. There is the possibility they might leave their planet and star because they MUST to survive as a species whether the idea is daunting or not. There are any number of scenarios there and I’ll let the readers dream them up. Bottom line, when we receive a WOW signal it probably is not aliens, but the idea should be left on the table until some other source is proven. Avi Loeb at Harvard and a few others are now giving credence to this idea so you don’t need to listen to the likes of me for this - it is becoming an opinion of experts in the fields of astrophysics and astronomy.
*I tried not to offend anyone but I consider chemistry to be a branch of physics. You don’t have to agree - that is just what I think.

On the surface seems simple enough. But then start learning about evolution and all the freak events that went into making us possible and how fast we are pissing it way.

I’m more open to us being a one off than I used to be. But who knows, so we can just chatter about it.

By Nicholas R. Longrich
Senior Lecturer, Paleontology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Bath

The universe is astonishingly vast. The Milky Way has more than 100 billion stars, and there are over a trillion galaxies in the visible universe, the tiny fraction of the universe we can see. Even if habitable worlds are rare, their sheer number – there are as many planets as stars, maybe more – suggests lots of life is out there. So where is everyone? This is the Fermi paradox. The universe is large, and old, with time and room for intelligence to evolve, but there’s no evidence of it. …

… Here’s the catch. All this convergence happened within one lineage, the Eumetazoa. Eumetazoans are complex animals with symmetry, mouths, guts, muscles, a nervous system. Different eumetazoans evolved similar solutions to similar problems, but the complex body plan that made it all possible is unique. Complex animals evolved once in life’s history, suggesting they’re improbable.

Surprisingly, many critical events in our evolutionary history are unique and, probably, improbable. …