Why we're doomed

"Doomed" is a relative term. We've already proven to be one of the longest running and most adaptable species ever known, so we are only "doomed" in the sense that all species are doomed to extinction at some point. But not all species are the end of the line. It's a harsh universe, and as far as we know, we're the first on this planet to be aware of the many ways we can be wiped out. The question is, can we overcome all of them?
My misunderstanding. Sounded to me like you were speaking about "species" in general, rather than hominid, although even there I don't think that Homo sapiens at 200,000 yrs holds any record. Prehistoric World - Hominid Chronology by Peter Kessler http://www.historyfiles.co.uk/FeaturesAfrica/HominidChronology4.htm How Humans Evolved http://www.mhhe.com/biosci/genbio/raven6b/graphics/raven06b/other/raven06b_23.pdf
But my theme here is, even if we keep making progress on human rights it will be slow because each time we get more people enjoying a more relaxed lifestyle, those same people get more complacent.
Well we won't have to worry about that much longer. By all indications under the sun, life will be getting quite a bit tougher, quite a bit faster than we care to consider. We do depend on an extremely complex, maintenance intensive society that is absolutely dependent on healthy oceans and moderate weather patterns, just to mention two of the heavy weights. Our society has also over populated coastal regions, but radical sea level rise is absolutely positively guaranteed to demolish our coastal infrastructure over the course of the next century and beyond that it's going to get even crazier, because our cryosphere melting will only continue accelerating. We and our society are doomed, not to say there won't be pockets of Homo survival and adaptation, but globalism will be gone, and we will be evolving into something altogether different according environmental pressures. Have a happy day while you can. :cheese:
Not sure why you think I missed that history, I said we're on an upward trend line, although as you we have a downSWING since Nixon and Reagan, but I feel that the pendulum has gone about as far right as it can go. But my theme here is, even if we keep making progress on human rights it will be slow because each time we get more people enjoying a more relaxed lifestyle, those same people get more complacent.
Why do you say that? Seems to me the Republican/libertarian machine that grew out of Nixon/Reagan era has been doing nothing but consolidating it's power and dictating what information the masses are being fed. And they show every indication of being absolutely incapable of learning anything realistic, or admitting any mistakes - Guess, that's to be expected considering they are convinced God is whispering into their ears.
Not sure why you think I missed that history, I said we're on an upward trend line, although as you we have a downSWING since Nixon and Reagan, but I feel that the pendulum has gone about as far right as it can go. But my theme here is, even if we keep making progress on human rights it will be slow because each time we get more people enjoying a more relaxed lifestyle, those same people get more complacent.
Why do you say that? Seems to me the Republican/libertarian machine that grew out of Nixon/Reagan era has been doing nothing but consolidating it's power and dictating what information the masses are being fed. And they show every indication of being absolutely incapable of learning anything realistic, or admitting any mistakes - Guess, that's to be expected considering they are convinced God is whispering into their ears. I realize I'm walking a bit of a fine line here. On the one hand, I stick by general the human tendency to be lulled into complacency while people who want power for the sake of power roll over them. On the other hand, there are enough people around who understand power and are willing to spread it around. Reagan was elected by a slim majority within a minority (those who vote) in a small country. Just because the whole map was red, it was not a landslide and doesn't represent humanity, they just knew how to manipulate the system. Organic farming can support 4 billion people, and we put a man on the moon with fewer than that. No, it won't be pretty, but I'm not that worried.
I realize I'm walking a bit of a fine line here. On the one hand, I stick by general the human tendency to be lulled into complacency while people who want power for the sake of power roll over them. On the other hand, there are enough people around who understand power and are willing to spread it around. Reagan was elected by a slim majority within a minority (those who vote) in a small country. Just because the whole map was red, it was not a landslide and doesn't represent humanity, they just knew how to manipulate the system.
Well yeah, and Bush/Cheney were given the Presidency by the Supreme Court {with way the heck too much help from our dear Mr.Nader (who once promised us he would never run for office because that could only lead to disaster… as it did.).} Still, they got the Reigns of Power and were able to have their private party at the expense of our country, the world and our children's future.