Why there are "Nones"

But I think, the recent religious violence contributes a lot to the rise of the "nones".
Yes, there is that judgmental aspect of spiritual - and therefore moral - deficiency, which is best to avoid altogether. Having many devout friends, I focus on their actions, rather than beliefs.
Pascal Wager is one of the biggest reason why people believe.
Fascinating. Of course to me it implies coercion or "faking it." Perhaps they could be open to reason and be reached if they had a little more confidence and some encouragement. I also wonder about those who have trouble coping with guilt, or are afraid, or desperate.
But when it costs too much, it is no longer worth it.
I wonder what that breaking point generally is? Could it be the pressure of keeping up appearances that are not heartfelt, or feeling separated from friends and family who are not devout? I suppose it's different for each person.
Fascinating. Of course to me it implies coercion or "faking it." Perhaps they could be open to reason and be reached if they had a little more confidence and some encouragement. I also wonder about those who have trouble coping with guilt, or are afraid, or desperate.
Another reason is they don't know there is other alternative. This is my case. I live in a place where > 95% are religious, so I've never thought non belief as a possibility. When a fav band member said he was spiritual but not religious, that's the first time I saw there is alternative. Another thing is the internet. It has given a voice for the atheists in my country. My bet is there is a significant raise of nones in my country.
I wonder what that breaking point generally is? Could it be the pressure of keeping up appearances that are not heartfelt, or feeling separated from friends and family who are not devout? I suppose it's different for each person.
I live in a multi-religious environment, it has never really bother anyone. But islamic radicalism is on the rise and they spread doctrines that didn't seem come from an all loving being. So, the critical ones are forced to reevaluate their belief.

Well, one reason for more people being “believers” than actually viewing religion has a “positive” could be due to the idea that some people adhere to a religion, but don’t necessarily derive happiness or pleasure out of it; for example, my mom is a passive believer (she prays a lot and claims to believe) but at the same time she will say that prayer doesn’t seem to work in her life ultimately leading to more stress, but she is not at a point of non-belief because of fear of coming out of religion and being wrong.
And for the younger people (myself a millennial) you simply cannot get by without facts or being able to doggedly support your positions…if you are going to make it through school, college, and get a job, you have to deal with facts and everything is evidence based…we don’t live in a world where we can have or want people making decisions based on a “hunch” or “faith” or “this is just the way it’s always been done.” Those days are gone. So naturally, if you have deal in facts and evidence in every realm of your life, it’s going to spill over into religion too.