Why Did You Choose Atheism?

Atheists in the house I invite you all to give me logical and compelling reasons as to why atheism is the correct worldview.

Thank you.

Welcome.

God is a superfluous and unnecessary concept…

Haven’t had a direct challenge like this in a while. Are you a student? Is this a class project? What does “logic” mean to you?

I ask that last question because there is no logical argument FOR gods. That’s one definition of atheism, the lack of belief, the lack of a reason to believe.

1 Like

Uhhhmm… Why do you say so?

I didn’t choose atheism. It chose me. I can’t tell you that it is the correct worldview, because each individual has to come to that conclusion themselves. I did choose humanism and naturalism as my worldviews and one can be both. Atheism is state of belief and, to me, not actually a worldview per se. Theism is also a state of belief and one’s worldview is Xianity, Islam, Hinduism, Jainism, Judaism, etc. One can be a theist and not actually hold an established worldview.

A better question would be to ask “Why did you choose humanism/naturalism/other non-theistic worldview and why do you think it’s the right one for you?”

2 Likes

[quote=“lightking01, post:4, topic:8245, full:true”]

Uhhhmm… Why do you say so?

Remove God and the bible and nothing changes. The Universe doesn’t need a God.

Especially a God that cannot be described. The universe and its workings are well described by science. Using applied science we have been able to discover the mathematical nature of the universe. Mathematics have nothing to do with a God.

God creates miracles, but no one knows how or why. It is clear that if there ever was a God, and He looked at what He hath created, he would not love this world so much that he gave up his only begotten son.

Religious folks don’t seem to realize that according Darwin, the death of your only begotten son ends your family line and “natural selection” has made your line extinct, along with 98 % of all species which are now extinct, because they did not live long enough to procreate.

If God ever lived, he is now extinct, because Jesus (God’s offspring) never had offspring himself.

Yet the Universe has done remarkable well without God or his son, except on Earth where untold people have died because religious people thought God told them it was a good idea to kill them.

The concept of a God simply is not a necessary ingredient of the Universe. It is an obsolete concept, imagined by ignorant people. I dare say it is a corrupting influence.

Where does Universal law allow you make amends for your mistakes by asking forgiveness and saying a few prayers? You make a mathematical mistake in your bank book and your balance is off!

Is AGW going to disappear because we are sorry and pray to God to make it go away? Think about it.

God is not going to forgive you. Nature is forgiving enough as it is, but it has its mathematical limits.

That is not engaging in dialog. You have been given several thoughtful responses with plenty to interact with. Be more specific with your questions.

This article may help you understand how atheism and theism are not worldviews:

One more site that might help you understand that atheism is only a state of belief, just as theism is. It is not a worldview, despite no preview, the link does work:

http://www.strongatheism.net/faq/

I’m curious. What would a logical argument for God sound like to you. Please explain. What do you mean by a logical argument for God.

[quote=“lausten, post:3, topic:8245”]

I ask that last question because there is no logical argument FOR gods.

[quote=“lightking01, post:10, topic:8245, full:true”]

I’m curious. What would a logical argument for God sound like to you. Please explain. What do you mean by a logical argument for God.

Read Lausten’s sentence again, with more attention.

Guys I think this guy is just trolling. In case he isn’t, before we proceed I’d like him to define “god” first? Can’t ask a question if your words aren’t defined.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean, especially since the idea of a deity is a human creation and has been since the beginning of time. Once humans get an explanation for what humans label as god, it’s no longer a god. Cats were once worshipped as god and they’ve never forgotten it.

God could be defined as the all-powerful, all-knowing being who created the universe as we know it.

He created man and all other creatures on this planet.

[quote=“lightking01, post:14, topic:8245, full:true”]

God could be defined as the all-powerful, all-knowing being who created the universe as we know it.

He created man and all other creatures on this planet.

That is meaningless babble. The Flying Spaghetti Monster could be defined as blah…blah…blah.

The question is if a sentient creator god is “necessary” for evolutionary processes. The answer to that is NO.

Definitions are a place to start, otherwise I don’t know what you are talking about. If i said Zeus doesn’t exist, you probably wouldn’t question that. I’m guessing you don’t understand what a logical compelling reason looks like, but, that’s what you asked for. I lack a logical compelling reason for believing, so I’m an atheist. That’s logical sound.

If I wanted to EXPLAIN why the CONCEPT of god exists, I could look at historical factors, and see how the IDEAS helped keep tribes together centuries ago. I could make a case for those ideas helping people to survive. But those worldviews bring bad, unhealthy ideas with them. We need to sort out what is worth keeping, and belief, based on nothing, is not one that is helping us right now.

Or you could have said, "Zeus could be defined as the all-powerful, all-knowing being who created the universe as we know it.

He created man and all other creatures on this planet."

Zeus was a god, created by humans. The only way to kill a god is to stop believing in said god. There have been many dying and rising gods, many with miraculous birth stories too. All created by humans. Many were created after a neuro stimulating event which created awe and wonder- such as a volcano, spewing lava on stones.

Why don’t you believe in Zeus or Bast or even Hanuman or Durga or even Vishnu or Shiva? Why is your god called God, instead of El or Ehyeh, which, when translated, is also what Vishnu/Krishna was- the I am. The Xian deity seems to not have a name, and is just “God”, as if one were to name a cat “Cat”.

I have a degree in Psychology, but I find Andy Thompson more interesting to listen to than my babble. That said, I love broccoli. I will chose that over a burger any day, because I like broccoli far better. To understand why I said that, you’ll have to watch the video.

I find it amazing the arrogance with which people talk

What gives you confidence to be so certain in all your assertions thus far?

Whoever set this our reality up must love people who say there is no supernatural. Because it covers up all their slip ups (no system is perfect). Instead of seeing them as signs that things are not as they seem to us, they find a way to justify them. say it is natural thereby covering up their mistakes for them - exactly what they want!

Why Did You Choose Theism?

Theists in the house I invite you all to give me logical and compelling reasons as to why theism is the correct worldview.

OK, lightking, your turn .

Let’s see how confident you are in your assertions, or if they warrant the ad hominem “arrogant”.

Whoever set this our reality up must love people who say there is a supernatural. Because it covers up all their slip ups (no system is perfect). Instead of seeing them as signs that things are as they seem to us, they find a way to justify them and say it is supernatural thereby covering up their mistakes for them - exactly what they want!

Now, who is they and what are they trying to cover up?
Atheists or Theists?

Yes it is, isn’t it.

So, no way to know for sure, but lightking01 is effectively a troll. They have not engaged any of the dialog here, only called it “arrogance”. They asked for logic, then made an argument from ignorance with a leap of faith. I have no idea what these mistakes are that we are supposedly covering up.

My favorite though, is the idea that something can be a sign that what the sign says is not what it is saying. There is no way we will ever penetrate that “logic”.

1 Like