Who is “God” ?

Both i would say, religions are born from need and fear as Nietzsche says.

Need for protection, need for father figures able to punish, for mother pictures to protect ( father and mother being symbolic words, not literal)

Fear of elements, fear of hunger, and so

But i would add, admiration and need to understand, to explain. A storm, a rainbow are marvels but the first can be dangerous. If you think that the storm and the lightning have been sent by a god, you can try to prevent it, to appease him …

In fact, magic and religion are also the first steps of the scientific thought.

Both i would say -- morgan
I probably did not frame the debate correctly. There isn't that much compromise available. In one, we could strip away the shackles of religion simply by declaring it wrong. We seem to see people doing this all the time, so it seems reasonable, but it assumes everyone has the same instincts, the same inherited feelings, and the same ability to interpret those feelings as coming from something supernatural or not. The other assumes we don't all have those abilities. It assumes there is something more innate that gives rise to religion, something that forms before it reaches conscious thought.

The behaviors we see could result from either of these, and both could exist but have a genetic component so they are stronger in one person than another, so in that sense there is “both”.

Look at it from an evolutionary perspective.

First comes the introspection that is driven by human nature, an extension of our developing SEEKING impulse.

As those thoughts continued evolving and human populations continued increased, it would be natural for one, or a few, of those individuals to transfer those personal thoughts onto the group and start developing behaviors about the kernel of ideas that were already inherent.

It worked so well, one thing led to another.

Then Jesus was born.

:wink:

?

?

Comment on that video by: Hazel Anderson 5 months ago Bill Hicks there, shining the spotlight on life’s mysteries. Beautiful man, beautiful soul. We miss you soooo much.
Nerd that I am I'm not familiar with him, but that will end shortly, I got his name and I got the YouTube. ?

@lausten The “Easter” vid was GREAT! I LMAO! :slight_smile:

I have been contemplating what my view of god is. I have been contemplating it for over 40 years. For 30 years I have been in a IC that is like a old Chan Buddhist monastery. I studied Christianity/practiced for 10 years before that. It seems I have tried most every religious approach to the “questions” of Why/what is existence.

This vid gets pretty close to how I see it. From the rock star of eastern religious presentations: :slight_smile:

Lausten, went on a snort Hicks binge yesterday, but then when I got to the Abortion/Right to Life routines YouTube started crashing on me like Big Brother. If I were the paranoid type . . .

;- )

Good stuff, hard stuff.

“We have no Wars.” Think about it, War is a conflict between two armies. Hicks rests his case.

Now guess it’s on to Alan Watts, for old time sake.

Lausten, when I click on @foghorn profile, it shows up for a second then flips to my posting profile. Why is that?

============================================

@foghorn, considering that other thread, you surprise.

In my twenties and early thirties many people I knew thought he was fantastic. I listened to him some, it sounded nice, and even groovy and all. But, it still came across to me as off key, ironically it took me another 30-40 years to figure out why.

For all the talk about the essence of the inner human being as a universal spiritual entity - there’s never any discussion about Evolution and how we humans came about in a real physical sense. (It’s Earth that is the Universal Being {or child of the universe, if you like} and we are Earth’s children.) In fact, seems to be a deliberate avoidance of that fact. Instead, all that far eastern mysticism (well also western religion and our endless philosophizing for fun and profit) remains firmly planted within the workings of our imaginative minds.

I’ve figured out that if you really want to understand our world, the universe and your place in it, you must first come to grips with its physicality and the fact of us simply being another element in Earth’s Pageant of Evolution. Amazing though we may be.

Spending years and decades learning about evolution, provides emergent enlightening awareness. One of the most profound has been wrapping my head about the “Human Mindscape ~ Physical Reality divide.” Along with genuinely appreciating that I am an element in the flow of Earth’s Evolution and that I have my one moment to live for all its worth, then I disappear, hopefully leaving a few good things in my wake.

Unfortunately, I’m learning that most people rather stay firmly planted within their own Mindscapes and disregard this physical Earth we depend on.

I this video Watts explains that through “evolution” we developed “imagination”. We imagine we have a personal self, who our “mates” are, what money means, in fact we even imagine there are absolutes that will not change. That is how we are indoctrinated. We are taught stories, and shown pictures, and graphs, that show us what reality is.

“The Power of Myth” by Joseph Campbell is pretty good at explaining how and why we created gods/god. I think it was an evolutionary adaptation that developed in homo sapiens at some point to increase survival of the species.

“The Power of Myth” by Joseph Campbell is pretty good at explaining how and why we created gods/god.

I have that lecture on mp3. It’s a good lecture.

“The Power of Myth” by Joseph Campbell is pretty good at explaining how and why we created gods/god.
I have that lecture on mp3. It’s a good lecture.
I really like Joseph Campbell's presentations. He is a wonderful story teller.

@foghorn, I watched the video again trying to find a mention of evolution. Didn’t find it, but found some other quotes to work with.

But, first I don’t mean to belittle Alan Watts, interesting man. He’s the kind of guy that says a lot I can appreciate, worth reading even, now and then, I reckon. But all of it has an air of escapism if taken too seriously. The California Woo. I hope you find the following interesting. In the 1980s I watched the Power of Myth documentary. A couple times even and I’ll admit it and Campbell definitely made an impression and influenced my thinking and how I process all that came later. He was always much easier to take seriously that sweet Alan.

Then by and by, my daughter was born and I had a brief experience with eternity and all the daddy’s that came before me that blew me away. I hadn’t realize it until recently, but that rekindled an early curiosity into a passion for learning about evolution. Even to the point of making a timeline, 1mm = one million years. Fortunately, at the time I had access to two long banquet tables so I could leave it open while I marked off details in spare time. By and by I’ve developed an appreciation for evolution that apparently few possess. Then I found Solms. Talk about icing on the cake of learning. Oh, but how I digress.

I should have been doing other things this morning, but what can I say, this is the shit I to debate with all takes. As in, constructive debate where better understanding is the goal. Okay, here goes.

“Losing the Ego: The Awakening by Alan Watts | EGO DEATH - AJ Fortuna, July 12, 2017, YouTube”

0:45 AW “A far as I can see, the basic mistake is, that we invented this wonderful system of language and calculation and that it is at once too simple to deal with the complexity of the world and also that we are liable to confuse that system of symbols with the world itself.

1:39 … AW - what I understand as Allan Watts is a big act that is not really me. Because in the image of Allan Watts there are not my unconscious processes, psychological and physical. The construction of my brain is not contained in the concept of Allan Watts. The concept of Allan Watts does not contain inseparable relationship which I have with all the rest of the universe. All that concept is a fraud mistaken for the real me.”

The concept cannot do anything. The concept of ourselves does not exist.”

(4:00) Cc - He says our internal tension is worthless, but without the internal tension, you’d be a lump or a permanent couch potato. Tension is what drives us to confront the challenges of survival. Of course, some hippies and others think that life shouldn’t have any challenges, but that’s daydreaming and pretending we don’t live in a physical world that has certain expectations and demands you must meet or you die.

We feel cut off from universe, because we get lost within our mindscape and pay no attention to the physical world that created you and that will swallow us up when we are done.

I have an inner conception and relationship with the universe that is visceral and embraces my entire being. It would have been impossible without learning an awful lot about what scientists have discovered about our the universe’s evolution as well as Earth’s.

It’s wonderful emergent understanding that was driven by increasing understanding of physical facts about Earth, biology and us humans, who are quite literally children of the Earth. Actually, I even have a name for that emergent understanding* Earth Centrism. (By that I mean, it’s not something you choose. You must first seek and struggle, you will learn and every so often that accumulating learning blossoms (emerges) into deep visceral understanding (difference between postcard and being there).

4:25 AW. “The way we really are, an organism functioning in terms of the whole environment (That’s good.) instead of this funny little separate personality.

(Makes no sense, we are the whole of our bodies and psyche and it creates our personality, which presents that whole. Your’s is unique, as is mine. But they certainly are us, ‘body’ and ‘soul’ and ‘ego’.)

4:45 AW. “Ego doesn’t exist.” (That’s silly. How could you have survived infancy without an ego demanding this and that?)

5:30 Cc - Again explaining that we don’t exist. Yada, yada, yada, and an atom is mostly empty space and CO2 doesn’t drive global warming.

6:30 AW. ‘It’s not you. It’s you that’s happening.’

7:40 AW. “Happening as distinct from doing”

7:50 AW. “When you are looking at nature out there, you are looking at you”

Needing to get back to ourselves.

Excellent point that last one. Guess my point is we can’t get back to ourselves, without learning about how we, our body, and our thinking process got here. That cannot be done lost in “energy” “universal spirituality” or any of that sort of looking outward exercise.

We need to look into ourselves, and by that I mean into the folds within folds of cumulative complexity that make up our physical body and how that created our human mind, with all its wonderful imaginings and creations.

But, to do that inward journey we need to journey up the cascade of deep-time, and really become familiar with Earth’s Evolution and the dance between biology and geology that created us.

As a practical tip, watch some Mark Solms and Antonio Damasio video. These are real scientists, among the best. You will be amazed, the stuff that’s been learned in the past couple decades and what that has to teach us about the real us.

I really like Joseph Campbell’s presentations. He is a wonderful story teller.

Indeed he is.

Why is that? – CC

Don’t know. Could be a setting that’s above my rights. I can see it, but that doesn’t tell us much. Can you see anyone’s profile?

I watched the Solms’ vid. I tend to agree with him. Maybe the rest of the brain (and probably the gut biome) initiate a sensory impulse to the core of our brain stem. This is possibly what Taoism refers to as the “start” of the “Yin/Yang”. “Tao produced the One. The One produced the two. The two produced the three. And the three produced the ten thousand things.” [5] Lao Tzu, The Way of Lao Tzu, Wing-Tsit Chan, trans. (New York: Bobbs-Merrill Co., 1963), p. 176.

The gut biome.

@Lausten, @ #344313 - if only that were the worst of my ‘issues’. ?

@foghorn, I commend you.  That's definitely among the great breakthrough discovers of recent decades, that is the Body / Mind interaction.

I'm curious why did you decide on Dr. Gundry?

I only know Gundry from YouTube ads and frankly the first few moments are a flurry of red flags that have always chased me away.  Your suggested video got me to google the man and it's more red flags.  Better Business Bureau has nearly three hundred consumer complaints.  Then I googled "fact checking Dr. Gundry" - you should try it.

But the topic is right on, so I did a little more trawling, and have found someone I feel comfortable with:
<blockquote>Dr.  Emeran Anton Mayer

is a gastroenterologist, lecturer, author, editor, neuroscientist, documentary filmmaker and a professor in the Departments of Medicine, Physiology and Psychiatry at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA He is a pioneer of medical research into brain gut interactions.

Calls himself a hybrid between gastroenterologist and neuroscientist.</blockquote>
Here's an interesting Talk at Google Campus
<blockquote>Dr. Emeran Mayer joins us in the Mountain View Teaching Kitchen to present his new book The Mind-Gut Connection and to talk about how our gut and our brain are inextricably linked; how the microbes living in our gut play a crucial role in this dialogue; and what he recommends to harness this connection. After the talk, Dr. Mayer answers questions from our moderator, Liv Wu, and from the audience.

www_youtube_com/watch?v=f-hUanaLrJg

(to reconstitute the link "_" = "." )</blockquote>
If you want to get into the weeds, there's this one and many more:
<blockquote>[Webinar Replay] Mental Health &amp; Microbes: Can Your Gut Bacteria Affect Your Mood?

The CAN-BIND Program - June 29, 2016

A webinar for clinicians about the gut-brain connection. Presented by The CAN-BIND Program (www.canbind.ca), and led by Dr. Jane Foster, Associate Professor at McMaster University.</blockquote>
&nbsp;

And a quicky, here's a introduction from those nice people at the SciShow

"Your Microbiome and Your Brain" - We've talked about the trillions of microbes inside you before, but we're learning that these little creatures may have more influence than you thought!

&nbsp;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ycHwcV9MvM

&nbsp;

Thanks for the heads up. You can see that the Biome is very influential in consciousness forming now that you did some research. :slight_smile: