What's up with YouTube's "FEATURED" videos?

Although I’ll admit to using YouTube quite a bit, because of the amazing spectrum of good information and university lectures available,
I also recognize YouTube contains vast stretches of Cesspit filled with offal - which I decidedly stay away from.
Still, I can’t help but notice that YT’s lists of search result videos (on the right hand side) the second video is consistently a “FEATURED” video - and they consistently look to be incredibly dumb and obnoxious.
Last month seems to be some idiot alcoholic, sharing his insanity, this month looks like an every bit as obnoxious gal.
I haven’t actually clicked any cause I don’t need the aggravation, nor to give them the satisfaction of another “hit”.
But, I am curious, does anyone know who pays to get that stuff placed on YouTube -
and what’s the rational behind placing these non sequitur videos into every search result.

CC, look at the television programs I’ve been harping about. Talk about cesspit, everything from Nazi aliens to Bigfoot, ghost hunters, hillbilly fill in the blank shows, fake reality TV shows, celebrity drama shows and commercials aplenty. Is it any wonder that YouTube picked up the genre for “entertainment” purposes? Yes there are diamonds in the cesspool but you have to dig to find them. There are lectures, debates, and educational videos available but you have to know what you’re looking for. Most people don’t nor do they care. Most Americans (88%) have only a high school diploma, 33% have a bachelors degree and only 3% have PhDs. So instead of Tyson most would rather hear the drunk.
Cap’t Jack

I’ve noticed that too, so I just went to youtube for some examples. I started with watching Ken Nordine’s What Time is it? video. To my surprise there were no recommended videos on the right. Then I watched a Ford Ka commercial (the one where the cat gets its head chopped off by the sunroof) and yup, there was a list of recommended videos on the right. All of them idiotic nonsense. The usual stuff: ultimate fails and that kind of crap. I also started the first episode of the original Cosmos series, and sure enough the featured video was a video about a fake product, the iArm. I guess it is supposed to be comedy, but I don’t know because I did not click the link.
I have no idea who pays for these featured videos, but it does seem to prove ole HL Mencken was right when he said, “No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.”

I have no idea who pays for these featured videos, but it does seem to prove ole HL Mencken was right when he said, “No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
Truer words were never written. I'll bet you a dime to a donut that if someone replicated the Roman gladiatorial games, the tickets to the event would sell out in an hour or less. Cap't Jack