What is more powerful? Love or hate.

Hatred is a very potent emotion. It is one that wreaks havoc of the hater and the hated, but it’s always been apart of humanities darker side. I see no reprieve from this brand of insanity, only hope that comes with understanding and respect. These two ideals are present, I think in the emotion called love.
Which one of these emotions are the most powerful and will either eradicate the other or just be different sides of the same coin of humanity?

Hatred is a very potent emotion. It is one that wreaks havoc of the hater and the hated, but it's always been apart of humanities darker side. I see no reprieve from this brand of insanity, only hope that comes with understanding and respect. These two ideals are present, I think in the emotion called love. Which one of these emotions are the most powerful and will either eradicate the other or just be different sides of the same coin of humanity?
I don't think either is more powerful all across the board. In my experience there's a very fine line between them; both can be enjoyable, both can be exhausting. They're not opposites, both are on the "same side of the coin," indifference is the opposite, IMO.

You’re right, mid atlantic, the two extremes can be difficult to distinguish sometimes. My mother often said “the pendulum always swings center”. However, I often wonder when that will happen and what is center? For example, I don’t like the burka because to me it symbolizes oppression, low self-esteem, fear, etc, while on the other side of the coin, some women, esp those who embrace it, seem to think the opposite is true. What is center of those opinions? Does tolerance mean condoning the wearing of something I deem oppressive and alike or is center the act of Muslim women seeing how they are being oppressed, as well as fearful, and shedding the garb? OR is the center tolerating hijabs (which I can, because I can see their faces), but not burkas? If love and hate are “two sides of the same coin”, then is there a center? When does hatred of something become something good, in which to advance the human race? i.e. Hatred of slavery wasn’t a bad thing and in the end, when it was abolished in various countries, such as the U.S. and the U.K., advanced human rights. Those who embraced it and included it in States’ Rights, sought to advance their financial status through the oppression of others, which wasn’t good at all. Hatred in that case became a good thing and the love of it a bad thing. If we had become tolerant of slavery, people might still be enslaved today. Instead, the majority of people today, see slavery as a bad thing.
Of course, I don’t think using euphemisms help to figure out what is a “happy medium” in such issues that stir up powerful emotions. I also know that using the burka is a poor example, because it doesn’t deal with direct hatred/love of a human being, but rather a thing. It was the best example I could think of though, because I have great difficulty actually hating another being. It’s much easier for me to comprehend hate/love for a thing, than it is a being. For example, I like wolves, don’t wish to see them go extinct, but I don’t dream of having one as a pet, so I don’t think that’s a good example in this case, unless its an example of non-extremism of love/hate.

I think the question is a matter of “which makes people more stupid: love or hate”
The former is what makes teenagers make rash decisions.
The latter makes is what makes people blind to tolerance.
Both of which can be seen in this “academic” presentation (note my sarcasm)
- YouTube.

It's much easier for me to comprehend hate/love for a thing, than it is a being.
Thats a great way of looking at things. Similar message was given in this ( by theologian who talks a few good things of Dawkins.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiZvTz7oZ30
Hatred is a very potent emotion. It is one that wreaks havoc of the hater and the hated, but it's always been apart of humanities darker side. I see no reprieve from this brand of insanity, only hope that comes with understanding and respect. These two ideals are present, I think in the emotion called love. Which one of these emotions are the most powerful and will either eradicate the other or just be different sides of the same coin of humanity?
You can go overboard with either love or hate. If you "love" someome to death or hate someone to death doesn't matter. It's the uncontrolled emotion that matters. Anyone who feels either of these emotions should see a psychiatrist. Lois
You can go overboard with either love or hate. If you "love" someome to death or hate someone to death doesn't matter. It's the uncontrolled emotion that matters. Anyone who feels either of these emotions should see a psychiatrist. Lois Is this a product of love or hate or is it a reaction from a desperate person.
You can go overboard with either love or hate. If you "love" someome to death or hate someone to death doesn't matter. It's the uncontrolled emotion that matters. Anyone who feels either of these emotions should see a psychiatrist. Lois Is this a product of love or hate or is it a reaction from a desperate person. Probably a reaction from a desperate person but desperate persons often confuse it with love or hate. Somehow they think It sounds better.
You can go overboard with either love or hate. If you "love" someome to death or hate someone to death doesn't matter. It's the uncontrolled emotion that matters. Anyone who feels either of these emotions should see a psychiatrist. Lois Is this a product of love or hate or is it a reaction from a desperate person. Probably a reaction from a desperate person but desperate persons often confuse it with love or hate. Somehow they think It sounds better. What about those people who are so romantically inclined that they are more in love with the idea of being in love more than ever actually being in love with a person. They search around and appoint people they meet the bearers of their romantic fantasies and become disappointment when the person doesn't act as they think they should. The one real issue with both of these terms are they are overused to such a degree in our society, I think that they have lost their potency. Love is used far too often to describe what a person likes ore desires and the same holds true for hating objects or people. People tend to add descriptions to hate or love to denote potency, like puppy love or visceral hatred, when attraction or loathing would suffice. Is this actual confusion or simply emotional laziness or impatience?
You can go overboard with either love or hate. If you "love" someome to death or hate someone to death doesn't matter. It's the uncontrolled emotion that matters. Anyone who feels either of these emotions should see a psychiatrist. Lois Is this a product of love or hate or is it a reaction from a desperate person. Probably a reaction from a desperate person but desperate persons often confuse it with love or hate. Somehow they think It sounds better. What about those people who are so romantically inclined that they are more in love with the idea of being in love more than ever actually being in love with a person. They search around and appoint people they meet the bearers of their romantic fantasies and become disappointment when the person doesn't act as they think they should. The one real issue with both of these terms are they are overused to such a degree in our society, I think that they have lost their potency. Love is used far too often to describe what a person likes ore desires and the same holds true for hating objects or people. People tend to add descriptions to hate or love to denote potency, like puppy love or visceral hatred, when attraction or loathing would suffice. Is this actual confusion or simply emotional laziness or impatience? It's human nature. That's as much as I can say without getting into another discussion of determinism vs. free will, for which I fear I will be skinned alive. Lois