What does it mean to be a Christian??

Cant be a good answer. The various christian denomibations dont see the other as true christians. Anyone ?
It's not a discussion when you ask a question and put down everyone's answer. What is your point in coming here?
Cant be a good answer. The various christian denomibations dont see the other as true christians. Anyone ?
It's not a discussion when you ask a question and put down everyone's answer. What is your point in coming here? To challenge people's ideology
It's not a discussion when you ask a question and put down everyone's answer. What is your point in coming here? To challenge people's ideology Simply saying "that's wrong" is not "challenging".
Can someone tell me? Can you still call yourself a Christian if you don't believe in the resurrection?? How about rejectiing the virgin birth? Can you still be a Christian? Redemption? Salvation? Anyone able to answer?
Believe that Jesus is risen, and you're a Christian; don't believe it, and you're not. It's right in the Christian Bible.Very good answer, Nihilo. Unfortunately the rest of us have gotten bogged down talking to this troll. So thats it? Nithing else? Are you a christian Advicates?? No, I am a Secular Humanist. And coincidentally an atheist. I was just acknowledging that he gave a good answer to the original question. Cant be a good answer. The various christian denomibations dont see the other as true christians.The fact that other people disagree with his answer doesn't mean it's not a good answer. He answered the question from his perspective. That's all anyone can do.
The various christian denomibations dont see the other as true christians.
The Catholic Church is the Church mentioned in the Christian Bible, and she declares that all who believe in the RESURRECTION are true Christians.
The various christian denomibations dont see the other as true christians.
The Catholic Church is the Church mentioned in the Christian Bible, and she declares that all who believe in the RESURRECTION are true Christians. But that's what every church says.] There is nothing in the Bible about Popes or Bishops or the rituals. I know you can trace them back to a half of a line here or there, but in the end, you got Peter standing on a rock. When the Vatican is sold off and all the money is given to the poor and the Pope is standing on a rock, I'll bow to him.
Can someone tell me? Can you still call yourself a Christian if you don't believe in the resurrection?? How about rejectiing the virgin birth? Can you still be a Christian? Redemption? Salvation? Anyone able to answer?
Believe that Jesus is risen, and you're a Christian; don't believe it, and you're not. It's right in the Christian Bible.Very good answer, Nihilo. Unfortunately the rest of us have gotten bogged down talking to this troll. So thats it? Nithing else? Are you a christian Advicates?? No, I am a Secular Humanist. And coincidentally an atheist. I was just acknowledging that he gave a good answer to the original question. Cant be a good answer. The various christian denomibations dont see the other as true christians.The fact that other people disagree with his answer doesn't mean it's not a good answer. He answered the question from his perspective. That's all anyone can do. yes its his perspective. What other perspective would it be??? Question for you is - why is it good?? You dont make sense
It's not a discussion when you ask a question and put down everyone's answer. What is your point in coming here? To challenge people's ideology Simply saying "that's wrong" is not "challenging". if it contradicts reality how can it be right?
It's not a discussion when you ask a question and put down everyone's answer. What is your point in coming here? To challenge people's ideology Simply saying "that's wrong" is not "challenging". if it contradicts reality how can it be right? The question you asked is a matter of opinion. Answers can't contradict anything.
It's not a discussion when you ask a question and put down everyone's answer. What is your point in coming here? To challenge people's ideologyA peculiar challenge in these forums. Surely the challenge of this thread is true trolling with the intent of attracting to this forum those who generate endless unproductive arguments on a topic that is irrelevant to those for whom the forums could be most valuable.
To challenge people's ideology
A peculiar challenge in these forums. Surely the challenge of this thread is true trolling with the intent of attracting to this forum those who generate endless unproductive arguments on a topic that is irrelevant to those for whom the forums could be most valuable.I have to agree with John. This topic doesn't seem to perform any useful function.
It's not a discussion when you ask a question and put down everyone's answer. What is your point in coming here? To challenge people's ideology Simply saying "that's wrong" is not "challenging". if it contradicts reality how can it be right? The question you asked is a matter of opinion. Answers can't contradict anything. Got no idea what youre talking about. Give me an example
The question you asked is a matter of opinion. Answers can't contradict anything.
Got no idea what youre talking about. Give me an example Examples? The question you first asked was a question with many possible answers. Who is to say which answer is right? Certainly churches will allow a variety of answers, and they are the gate keepers of membership. And why should I care what a church says if I can read the Bible and decide for myself what a christian is?
The question you asked is a matter of opinion. Answers can't contradict anything.
Got no idea what youre talking about. Give me an example Examples? The question you first asked was a question with many possible answers. Who is to say which answer is right? Certainly churches will allow a variety of answers, and they are the gate keepers of membership. And why should I care what a church says if I can read the Bible and decide for myself what a christian is? So how can a devotee claim Christianity is the truth, the true religion when the christians cant agree amongst themselves what a christian is? Yes - as an atheist, its not my problem, but its good to highlight theirs.
So how can a devotee claim Christianity is the truth, the true religion when the christians cant agree amongst themselves what a christian is? Yes - as an atheist, its not my problem, but its good to highlight theirs.
That wasn't the original question. I know lots of people who are fine with the label "Christian" and fine with others having other labels. There is plenty of Biblical support for this. You tried to preempt the first part of this question by only asking the second part. Not a very effective strategy though. You'll either get the answer I'm giving here or from a "devotee" who claims the one true religion, you'll be told that everyone else is wrong. They won't care that other people call themselves Christians. That's how the Catholic Church got started. It was just a scattering of Bishops for a couple centuries, then it came under Roman rule and they started killing people for getting Christianity wrong. The Catholic encyclopedia calls this the time when they "cleansed" the community of the Arian influence.
So how can a devotee claim Christianity is the truth, the true religion when the christians cant agree amongst themselves what a christian is? Yes - as an atheist, its not my problem, but its good to highlight theirs.
That wasn't the original question. I know lots of people who are fine with the label "Christian" and fine with others having other labels. There is plenty of Biblical support for this. You tried to preempt the first part of this question by only asking the second part. Not a very effective strategy though. You'll either get the answer I'm giving here or from a "devotee" who claims the one true religion, you'll be told that everyone else is wrong. They won't care that other people call themselves Christians. That's how the Catholic Church got started. It was just a scattering of Bishops for a couple centuries, then it came under Roman rule and they started killing people for getting Christianity wrong. The Catholic encyclopedia calls this the time when they "cleansed" the community of the Arian influence.. The Christians can’t agree amongst themselves on what is a Christian. Doesnt this tell you something about it’s truth claims?

All it takes is a s—load of gullibility, and that has never been known to be in short supply.
Lois

That wasn't the original question. I know lots of people who are fine with the label "Christian" and fine with others having other labels. There is plenty of Biblical support for this. You tried to preempt the first part of this question by only asking the second part. Not a very effective strategy though. You'll either get the answer I'm giving here or from a "devotee" who claims the one true religion, you'll be told that everyone else is wrong. They won't care that other people call themselves Christians. That's how the Catholic Church got started. It was just a scattering of Bishops for a couple centuries, then it came under Roman rule and they started killing people for getting Christianity wrong. The Catholic encyclopedia calls this the time when they "cleansed" the community of the Arian influence.. The Christians can’t agree amongst themselves on what is a Christian. Doesnt this tell you something about it’s truth claims? Yes, it tells me that people can't agree. They don't agree on a lot of things, why should Christianity be any different? They can't agree on what one of Trump's tweets meant from yesterday. Your rhetorical question in this quote is not the original question. If you can't agree on what Christianity is, you can't agree on it being true, obviously. Your original question was about specific things. Since there have always been many sects of Christianity, that's an easy question; someone can call themselves a Christian if they believe they are following the correct sect. Just like I can say I am a follower of covfefe because I know what it means.
That wasn't the original question. I know lots of people who are fine with the label "Christian" and fine with others having other labels. There is plenty of Biblical support for this. You tried to preempt the first part of this question by only asking the second part. Not a very effective strategy though. You'll either get the answer I'm giving here or from a "devotee" who claims the one true religion, you'll be told that everyone else is wrong. They won't care that other people call themselves Christians. That's how the Catholic Church got started. It was just a scattering of Bishops for a couple centuries, then it came under Roman rule and they started killing people for getting Christianity wrong. The Catholic encyclopedia calls this the time when they "cleansed" the community of the Arian influence.. The Christians can’t agree amongst themselves on what is a Christian. Doesnt this tell you something about it’s truth claims? Yes, it tells me that people can't agree. They don't agree on a lot of things, why should Christianity be any different? They can't agree on what one of Trump's tweets meant from yesterday. Your rhetorical question in this quote is not the original question. If you can't agree on what Christianity is, you can't agree on it being true, obviously. Your original question was about specific things. Since there have always been many sects of Christianity, that's an easy question; someone can call themselves a Christian if they believe they are following the correct sect. Just like I can say I am a follower of covfefe because I know what it means. Line them up against the wall and they will all tell you theirs is the true faith. Christians are commanded to spread the word so That they can’t agree amongst themselves what is a Christian is not my problem. Come back to me when it’s been sorted out before claiming that your religion is the true one.
Line them up against the wall and they will all tell you theirs is the true faith.
Yeah, I said that. That's the entire point of what I've been saying.
Christians are commanded to spread the word so
A comma right about there would have been helpful. Again, my point.
That they can’t agree amongst themselves what is a Christian is not my problem.
No, but it bothers you, and you started a conversation about it. So now you are my problem.
Come back to me when it’s been sorted out before claiming that your religion is the true one.
I don't have a religion and I don't believe there is one true one. If you wanted them to sort it out before coming to you, why did you ask the question?