Two huge flaws in the CFI worldview

The two huge flaws in the CFI worldview are:
(1) failure to consider the function of the right hemisphere of the brain in human consciousness, and
(2) failure to grasp the role of emotional trauma in the history of consciousness.
A good start in understanding the right brain is Jill Bolte Taylor’s 2008 TED video, Lain McGilchrist’s The Master and His Emissary, and my videos on YouTube (see the channel “Michael Ducey”). The bottom line is that the right brain holds the non-conceptual knowledge that is the raw data for all the conceptual knowledge produced by the left brain. Eric Voegelin (1901-1985) noted this in Order and History, where he said that the ultimate values of all societies spring from a “dead point” in human consciousness that cannot be contained by conceptual proposition. (But of course he didn’t know about brain hemispheres.)
And, looking at the meditative practices invented by Gautama, it is clear that he was making use of the different functions of the two brain hemispheres, and so these practices are the basis for a secular spirituality. (Buddhists say they are not a religion, just “a method” [for dealing with emotions].)
As for trauma, it seems clear that religion responds to the need for sedative in the first stage of recovery from trauma, and as societies have recovered from trauma they have outgrown the need for those particular psychotropic mechanisms and become capable of more active self-exploration. (Altho many other sedatives – behavioral and pharmacological – are still widespread.)
So the difference between religious meditation and secular meditation is the difference between being put to sleep by the practice and being woken up by it.
So, if CFI wants to truly contribute to the evolution of human consciousness, it must embrace these issues and avoid a crass, shallow rationalism (what I call “left-brain Fundamentalism”).

I was not aware that CFI had a worldview. I’m not even sure how you can say that an organization with a mission to supplant dogma could be failing to consider anything. Since the organization does not publish statements on particular topics, how is it that you say they are “failing to grasp"?
Although Buddhism has much to offer, it still has language of its own invention based on nothing but conjecture and anecdote. The valuable practices of Buddhism have been investigated and sometimes incorporated into therapies. So, I guess I just don’t get what your beef is.

It isn’t a belief, Lausten, it’s an agenda.

Please investigate the functions of the right hemisphere of the brain.

I can’t imagine anything more boring than worrying about the functions of the right half of the brain. Nothing of it’s functions is of any consequence or value to CFI.
Occam

Please investigate the functions of the right hemisphere of the brain.
I have a feeling I am going to regret this but please explain to us what aspect of right brain function you are referring to and why you believe that CFI has something to gain by addressing this?

I refer you to the 2008 TED talk of neuro-anatomist Jill Bolte Taylor, and my YouTube video “Zen for Everybody” for starters.

Please explain it here.

Not gonna happen. Do your homework. Consult sources. (It is at least a little bit complicated.)
And BTW, Douglas Adams was a humorist, not a scientist, AT ALL. (But I LOVE A Hitchhiker’s Guide….)

Yes, please explain it, “rightbrainguy,” preferably in one or at most, two, short paragraphs in your own words. Please don’t send reams of explanations from other sources.
If you can’t explain it in your own words in 2 short paragraphs it’s a good sign you don’t understand it yourself.
You might also take a crack at telling us how any organization can have a world view. Two sentences should be enough.
Lois

I doubt anyone here is at all interested in bothering with right brain mythology so you won’t be getting any of us to “do our homework”.
Geez, do you really think Darron doesn’t know who and what Douglas Adams was??
The problem is that the left half of the brain has to do with reason, logic and reality. The right half has to do with emotion and fairytales. So, I do agree with you that you certainly seem right brained. :lol:
Occam

Not gonna happen. Do your homework. Consult sources. (It is at least a little bit complicated.) And BTW, Douglas Adams was a humorist, not a scientist, AT ALL. (But I LOVE A Hitchhiker's Guide....)
Why should we do our homework? We don't have any homework we need to do on this subject. This is YOUR discussion. Why would anyone with half a brain come to a discussion group, accuse the group of not understanding what he's selling, and then say, "Do your homework"? How asinine! Do your own homework or don't post here. Anyone with half a brain (right or left, it doesn't matter) can see right off that you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about. Go peddle your empty rhetoric somewhere else. Maybe you can find some Scientologists who would be open to it.
I doubt anyone here is at all interested in bothering with right brain mythology so you won't be getting any of us to "do our homework". Geez, do you really think Darron doesn't know who and what Douglas Adams was?? The problem is that the left half of the brain has to do with reason, logic and reality. The right half has to do with emotion and fairytales. So, I do agree with you that you certainly seem right brained. :lol: Occam
No, Occam, he's a half wit. It doesn't matter which half. Lois
Geez, do you really think Darron doesn't know who and what Douglas Adams was??
Yeah, I figured that out in the first paragraph of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy when Adams described Earth as "...an utterly insignificant planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea." Doesn't sound much like e=mc^2 to me.
I refer you to the 2008 TED talk of neuro-anatomist Jill Bolte Taylor, and my YouTube video "Zen for Everybody" for starters.
Um, you don't get to come in and ask us to do the work to make your point for you. Make your own case and we will decide if it's worth our time
I refer you to the 2008 TED talk of neuro-anatomist Jill Bolte Taylor, and my YouTube video "Zen for Everybody" for starters.
That was my first TED talk, really enjoyed it. Didn't care quite as much for the YouTube link you gave, it was a little too "random" as the kids say. Well, that was a nice discussion. So, how about those Detroit Lions, huh? Really thought they were having a great year, but losing to the Bucs?
Um, you don't get to come in and ask us to do the work to make your point for you. Make your own case and we will decide if it's worth our time It isn't. Lois
Not gonna happen. Do your homework. Consult sources. (It is at least a little bit complicated.) And BTW, Douglas Adams was a humorist, not a scientist, AT ALL. (But I LOVE A Hitchhiker's Guide....)[/quote I forgot you can do this: Jill Bolte Taylor: http://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte_taylor_s_powerful_stroke_of_insight.html Me http://youtu.be/IEbiV00Z1zE TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT.

That isn’t how we interact around here.

I am still hoping to have a serious discussion with some one (a) about the function of the right hemisphere in consciousness, and (b) about the role of trauma in the history of forming symbols of ultimate values.
I have not found anybody yet.