Things you're afraid to ask in Sunday School

How did all the people come to populate the Earth, from just Adam and Eve?

(I’ve heard pieces of stories, but I don’t have a clear story about it.) I’m asking mainly from the point of view of a Southern Baptist or any of the denominations that have the same creation myth.

It took me many years to realize that the entire earth was repopulated with every species of land animal by Noah’s family and all the animals they had on board. So Adam and Eve are not the worst part of this problem. (How did the plants make it through unscathed?)

I was a nonparticipant in my Sunday School. I’m shy and quiet, so my personality coupled with not wanting to be there made me the milquetoast member of the group. More time was spent avoiding being asked to answer questions I didn’t know the answer to than anything.

I only recall being in Sunday School a few times.

I have a memory of the instructor asking us to pray for a sunny day for the church picnic … and me asking, “But what if farmers are praying for rain that day?” … and her chuckling. (I was both cute and precocious.)

I understand the way memory works, and I assume this is a confabulation. But that’s okay. I’ll hold onto this memory anyway.

How did all the people come to populate the Earth, from just Adam and Eve?
Lol, why we still got monkeys?
Why did you post a very large photograph of yourself as a child?
Sherlock, if at some point in your life you get a friend, you might understand why that isn't unusual. Until that time, you'll have to accept that normal people will do things you can't understand.

Um … that’s about how old I was when I was in Sunday School. When I asked the question I wrote about there.

Is there a problem with that?

Also, @Holmes,

As I’ve mentioned numerous times, I’m on Android. (A phone.) To me, that picture is no larger than a postage stamp. I I suppose it would be quite large on a PC. I apologize if you found it disturbing.

@holmes

No, not disturbing, a trifle narcissistic perhaps but not disturbing.
LOL. That's fine. I've had an online presence under my own name for a long time, with multiple blogs & social media accounts. Before that I was an author and reporter. Instead of "narcissism," I'd call it a level of ease with being public. Are we going to start attaching diagnostic labels to this stuff? If so, then I'd point out how easy it is to feign an air of intellectual superiority while using the persona of a fictional "intelligent" character.

I’m not scared of that little girl. Oh wait she’s got something in her hand! No! Phew! She’s just pretending to be wielding a Glock left handed.

Cute and precocious indeed.

It’s fine for women to be a wee bit narcistic. How else can they be motivated to put on makeup everyday?

Re: my original question, I just figured there are ppl on this site who have the goods on the mythology as to how Adam and Eve became everybody and other questions that were not answered in Bible school.

Widdershins, I don’t recall anything in the Bible about monkeys. Are u saying that Adam and Eve had sex like monkeys? I suppose they could have made more children besides their one surviving son, and then kept on procreating incestually along with their wildly incestual offspring. But the chance of a viable population emerging from one couple, initially, seems low.

@teebryantoo

Awesome pic. Looks at those eyes, to me she looks like a kid that ain’t gonna take a lot of shit from adults.

Awesome pic. Looks at those eyes, to me she looks like a kid that ain’t gonna take a lot of shit from adults
LOL! Well, I did ask lots of questions...Often, when you're an only child with older parents, you're kind of a "little grownup" whose more at ease conversing with adults than peers. But another part of the dynamic is obsessive compliance and a need to please. It never occurred to me not to do as I was told. Rebellion wasn't a thing.

Holmes: November 13, 2019 at 3:42 pm - Why did you post a very large photograph of yourself as a child?

November 14, 2019 at 2:29 pm - No, not disturbing, a trifle narcissistic perhaps but not disturbing.

ovember 15, 2019 at 9:51 am - You do seem to spend a lot of time talking about yourself and your past Tee, we were all children, we all have a past, we all struggle from time to time.

This from the guy complaining about perceived insults and conjured Ad hominems.

This is a discussion forum. Most of us know ourselves better than anything else. So we share a bit of ourselves with friends, even if they are virtual friends on a forum. Oh, and even you have shared about how great you yourself are. So lighten up on her.

Besides that picture is an awesome rendering of a child who is self-aware, and engaged in thinking - worthy of a magazine cover - and cute!

so there Mr. Hanky.

@holmes

Congratulations for observing I do what I do…

?

@holmes

Since you don’t understand this… When it comes to public persona, there is a spectrum.

Some people, like you, are entirely private. That’s their prerogative.

Some people, like elected officials and entertainers, are pretty public. That’s their prerogative.

In between are a whole lot of people who, depending on their occupation, etc., are sort of semi-public. I’m somewhere in there. If you Google me, you find this. (I didn’t put this there. I didn’t even see it till recently, and it’s out of date.)

I’m a journalist and author. I’ve been a semi-public person since the late 1980s. A humor column about my life won a national award. To date I have about 5,000 followers on Quora and Twitter.

I wrote about my childhood in my old blog.

I’ve switched gears since I wrote that, and now I’m creating a blog on religion and atheism. That’s why I had the image.

So … this is sort of what I do. You do something else, and that’s fine.

In moderation again @Lausten

Widdershins said,

Lol, why we still got monkeys?

Why do we still have sea-slugs? Evolution is NOT a linear development from a single source. Evolution displays an exponential function.

The exponential function
The exponential function is one of the most important functions in mathematics (though it would have to admit that the linear function ranks even higher in importance). To form an exponential function, we let the independent variable be the exponent. A simple example is the function

I don’t know if the following is true, it just seems like it should be:

The following is Tee as a toddler. Having uncovered a conspiracy to combat global warming by eating babies, Tee turned the tables arguing that “Grown-ups big! More meat! Babies eat grown ups!” Her logic being undeniable, babies cannibalizing adults became a popular craze for a while in the late 60’s early 70’s.

@Timb

How did you know???

(Actually, the proof it’s not me is that it’s not black & white.)

That’s adorable though!!

@teebryantoo

You said (Actually, the proof it’s not me is that it’s not black & white.)

Note the picture prior to colorization. Also check out the cheap digital watch from the late '60’s on the wrist of the thrall that is feeding a bit of Adam’s (or someone’s) rib to Tee.