Things Baptist don't say

I was thinking about how some religious people accuse atheists of being angry at God or angry at fundamentalists and say they take it out on all of religion and become militant anti-atheists. I’m sure some people actually do that. But have you ever heard a Baptist say to a Methodist that they must hate all Baptists and want to destroy all of the Baptist church? Do they say in their defense, “we’re not like those Southern Baptists, were better, don’t judge us based on them”. Do they twist their faces in confusion as to why the Methodist won’t come to their Baptist service at least to see what great people they are and how they are doing great things?
It used to be like that. Marrying across Protestant denominations used to be a big deal. Not everywhere of course. I haven’t experienced this, just wondered if anyone else ever saw it.

I was thinking about how some religious people accuse atheists of being angry at God or angry at fundamentalists and say they take it out on all of religion and become militant anti-atheists. I'm sure some people actually do that. But have you ever heard a Baptist say to a Methodist that they must hate all Baptists and want to destroy all of the Baptist church? Do they say in their defense, "we're not like those Southern Baptists, were better, don't judge us based on them". Do they twist their faces in confusion as to why the Methodist won't come to their Baptist service at least to see what great people they are and how they are doing great things? It used to be like that. Marrying across Protestant denominations used to be a big deal. Not everywhere of course. I haven't experienced this, just wondered if anyone else ever saw it.
It happens now, but much less often than it did in the past. Protestants don't often carry on against each other these days. If they do it's usually done with a smile. There was more animosity between Catholics and Protestants and wars were fought over it. There is still Catholic/Protestant animosity, but, fortunately, most aren't killing each other now. Mainstream Protestants don't much like Mormons and claim they are not real Christians. Protestant Fundamentalists think mainstream Protestants (and everyone else who isn't a Fundamentalist Protestant) are going to hell in a handbasket. There is still competition but it seems to only bubble under the surface in the West. Atheists don't act toward believers the way Christians have acted toward each other since the Reformation. Jews in the West aren't the pariahs they once were. Maybe it can be seen as progress. It's mostly Muslims vs Christians now. Lois

Makes me think of an old joke:
Guy comes across another guy in the middle of the night, standing on a bridge crying and ready to jump.
“Hey, are you alright? Don’t do this. Don’t you know the Lord?"
“Yeah, I’m a Christian."
“Well, that’s great! Are you a Protestant?"
“Yeah, I’m a Protestant."
“Well, that’s great! Are you a Baptist?"
“Yeah, I’m a Baptist."
“Well, that’s great! You’re a Reformed Baptist?"
“Yeah, I’m a Reformed Baptist."
“Well, that’s great! Are you from around here?"
“Yeah, I attend Second Reformed Baptist on Tenth Street."
“Second Reformed on Tenth? Are you kidding me? Why don’t you jump, you heretic!"
:wink:

On a more serious note, I remember my dad (Catholic) nearly overstepping a boundary marrying my mom (Lutheran). Wasn’t considered correct in those days.
But I do remember in my “Pentecostal" days that the pastor had to make sure you were not “sheep stealing" when evangelizing, as whatever Christian group there is considers themselves “more right" than another. I’ve heard Calvinists wondering if Arminians are actually “saved".
But I think that’s Evangelical stuff. I’ve also known a Catholic priest who’s best friend and buddy was a Baptist pastor. All depends on the person. We don’t adopt beliefs by rationality but by what fits our personality. One example: I always leaned Calvinist as I could not live with the idea that I was not “safe" with God. Only that “warm and comfy home" brought me any solace, as I knew I would fuck up. My friend was opposite. He said, “unless it depends on me, I will fuck up". It’s all temperament, not theology.
The amount of hostility I think depends on the amount of perceived betrayal. When I’m emotional I can be pretty hostile to Christianity, blaming them for all sorts of things which, rationally considered, is bullshit on my part. But we’re not always rational.
Am I hostile to religion? No. Not at all. But I still like to argue. – Consider Hitchens. Many people might think he was one of those angry atheists. Being friends with Collins I don’t quite see that. Everything has its place.
I think it all depends on the person, believer or non-believer.

The Baptist Church I grew up in was pastored by an ex-RC Priest married to an Ex nun, an example of a persons religion changing to fit life circumstances. :slight_smile: