The "true self"

To thy self be true.
I cannot help but think the implication/subtext of the phrase "true self" is something like, you don't know what that is and if you did then you would try to be more like me or what my religion/philosophy teaches you should be. I think that about nails it. Particularly since chewing on it, I'm getting all sorts of flashbacks from difference people trying to enlighten a younger me, yet all of them seeming too interested in their own thing, to recognize who they were talking to, as they wove their fantastical assumptions. At the time it was very challenging and some predictions hung over me like haunting specters. From the perspective of 60 I can recognize their phoniness with a bit more certainty.
To thy self be true.
I cannot help but think the implication/subtext of the phrase "true self" is something like, you don't know what that is and if you did then you would try to be more like me or what my religion/philosophy teaches you should be. I think that about nails it. Particularly since chewing on it, I'm getting all sorts of flashbacks from difference people trying to enlighten a younger me, yet all of them seeming too interested in their own thing, to recognize who they were talking to, as they wove their fantastical assumptions. At the time it was very challenging and some predictions hung over me like haunting specters. From the perspective of 60 I can recognize their phoniness with a bit more certainty. It's not necessarily phoniness. It's not having seen the full picture--just as we did not in our younger years. We shouldn't blame people for not being able to see around the mountain before they get to a better vantage point. Lois
...So "being yourself" is a social thing. "Yourself" exists as a reflection of how you and others see yourself reflecting off of the social matrix...
Very profound. I like it. oh stop! I think that our *mirror neural network* has a great deal to do with how we see ourselves and others, and conversely how others can relate to our image. https://mirroringdevelopment.uchicago.edu/project_2/

Okay Lois, true that.
I’m too harsh sometimes.

Maybe the hiding "true self" happens when one allows one-self to be forced into behaving as others want them to. Suppressing one's own desires and needs.
Yeah.
I think that our *mirror neural network* has a great deal to do with how we see ourselves and others, and conversely how others can relate to our image. https://mirroringdevelopment.uchicago.edu/project_2/
Not that it matters much but we're on a couple different planes here as far as this "yourself" bit is concerned. It doesn't matter because it probably all ties into each other somewhere down the line.
I think that our *mirror neural network* has a great deal to do with how we see ourselves and others, and conversely how others can relate to our image. https://mirroringdevelopment.uchicago.edu/project_2/
Not that it matters much but we're on a couple different planes here as far as this "yourself" bit is concerned. It doesn't matter because it probably all ties into each other somewhere down the line. I agree.