The Tracking Trump (pooping on) Affordable Health Care Insurance Thread

Very cool thing to see happen.

By ROBERT PEAR, THOMAS KAPLAN and MAGGIE HABERMAN | MARCH 24, 2017 https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/24/us/politics/health-care-affordable-care-act.html WASHINGTON — House Republican leaders, facing a revolt among conservatives and moderates in their ranks, pulled legislation to repeal the Affordable Care Act from consideration on the House floor Friday in a major defeat for President Trump on the first legislative showdown of his presidency.
“We’re going to be living with Obamacare for the foreseeable future," the House speaker, Paul D. Ryan, conceded.
The failure of the Republicans’ three-month blitz to repeal President Barack Obama’s signature domestic achievement exposed deep divisions in the Republican Party that the election of a Republican president could not mask. It cast a long shadow over the ambitious agenda that Mr. Trump and Republican leaders had promised to enact once their party assumed power at both ends of Pennsylvania Avenue. And it was the biggest defeat of Mr. Trump’s young presidency, which has suffered many. ... Republican leaders were willing to tolerate Mr. Trump’s foibles with the promise that he would sign into law their conservative agenda. The collective defeat of the health care effort could strain that tolerance.
Hospitals relieved to see federal health care bill withdrawn http://www.georgiahealthnews.com/2017/03/hospitals-relieved-federal-health-care-bill-withdrawn/
[edited to update the title.]

I’m only reading the 10 free NYT articles that I can get for now, so I passed on this one, thanks for the notes.
I saw Ryan’s concession speech, wherein he said; it’s hard to move from the opposition party to the ruling party. Obama didn’t have that problem, he had a lot of opposition, but he put the work in to get the ACA. These guys slapped together a bill to lower their taxes and thought they could get away with it. I just hope the voters memory works better than average this time and they remember that Republicans have not come up with any decent health care legislation in 10 years.

My relief is immense.

After 7 years of political grandstanding with over 50 votes taken and countless hours wasted the repubs paraded their incompetence for the entire nation to witness.
They had no plan ready and tried to slap something together that was a sham.
The ACA is flawed and not sustainable long term. Ryancare/trumpcare was a complete mess.

We know the ACA is flawed. That is the Republican plan Obama signed after he realized he couldn’t get single-payer through Congress. With any luck this defeat will force republicans to move forward instead of trying to move us backward.

The Scammers, the Scammed and America’s Fate Paul Krugman MARCH 24, 2017 ... ... No, this isn’t a column about whatshisname, the guy on Twitter, who’s getting plenty of attention. It’s about Paul Ryan, the speaker of the House. I’m writing this column without knowing the legislative fate of the American Health Care Act, Mr. Ryan’s proposed Obamacare replacement. Whatever happens in the House and the Senate, however, there’s no question that the A.H.C.A. is one of the worst bills ever presented to Congress. It would deprive tens of millions of health insurance — the decline in the number of insured Americans would be larger than what would result from simple repeal of Obamacare! — while sharply raising expenses for many of those who remain. It would be especially punitive for lower-income, older, rural voters. Some people seem startled both by the awfulness of Mr. Ryan’s plan and by the raw dishonesty of his sales pitch. But why? . . .
But that's just the warm up. Apparently, Bannon has resolved to take-down Ryan.
Steve Bannon Is Cleaning House. He Posted A "S*it List" In WH War Room; And Paul Ryan Is Toast. By ursulafaw | 2017/03/25 http://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/3/25/1647295/-Steve-Bannon-Is-Cleaning-House-He-Posted-A-S-it-List-In-WH-War-Room-And-Paul-Ryan-Is-Toast? ... Bannon said that, "Ryan will be gone by Spring." Bannon's disapproval of Ryan is based upon profound ideological differences. Ryan is supposed to stand for conservative Republican values, although that’s debatable since the Freedom Caucus has been saying for some time that Ryan is not conservative enough for them. Bannon has made no bones about the fact that his roots are Leninist and he wants to see the Republican party transform into a nationalist workers' party. In recent history the closest parallel to what Bannon is proposing was Hitler transforming the workers' party of Dietrich Eckhart into the nationalist Nazi party. Eckhart had predicted a German "messiah" to lead the workers forward; perhaps Bannon sees himself in messianic terms as well. In any event, pundits have discussed ...
One bullet dodged on we lurch. :cheese:
I'm only reading the 10 free NYT articles that I can get for now, so I passed on this one, thanks for the notes. I saw Ryan's concession speech, wherein he said; it's hard to move from the opposition party to the ruling party. Obama didn't have that problem, he had a lot of opposition, but he put the work in to get the ACA. These guys slapped together a bill to lower their taxes and thought they could get away with it. I just hope the voters memory works better than average this time and they remember that Republicans have not come up with any decent health care legislation in 10 years.
Dyed in the wool Republicans will not notice. They'll still vote for anything Trump backs even if they get screwed in the process.
We know the ACA is flawed. That is the Republican plan Obama signed after he realized he couldn't get single-payer through Congress. With any luck this defeat will force republicans to move forward instead of trying to move us backward.
No, I don't think so, they'll keep going backwards. They don't want a health plan that works. They want one that will reduce their taxes and won't give anything away to poor people--the Republican way.
We know the ACA is flawed. That is the Republican plan Obama signed after he realized he couldn't get single-payer through Congress. With any luck this defeat will force republicans to move forward instead of trying to move us backward.
No, I don't think so, they'll keep going backwards. They don't want a health plan that works. They want one that will reduce their taxes and won't give anything away to poor people--the Republican way. That is exactly what they want, but the sensible Republicans in Congress know they'll get voted out of office if they take away millions of people's health insurance subsidies. That stalled the first attempt at the AHCA, and with any luck people will get so disgusted with this administration they'll vote to retire their Republican representatives and vote in Democratic replacements. We'll know in late 2018.
Bernie Sanders, Top Progressives Announce New ‘Medicare For All’ Push Lowering the Medicare age could be a starting point. By Daniel Marans http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bernie-sanders-progressives-medicare-for-all_us_58d6f5c1e4b03692bea68fd2 WASHINGTON ― In the wake of the Republican failure to repeal the Affordable Care Act on Friday, leading figures in the progressive wing of the Democratic Party are rallying behind a single-payer health insurance and a raft of other bold reforms. These lawmakers and grassroots leaders have long believed that the problems plaguing the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare, are rooted in the original health care law’s attempt to accommodate, rather than gradually replace, the private, for-profit health insurance system. Now that efforts to eliminate the law wholesale are effectively dead, they are again arguing that the best way to improve the country’s health care system is to confront the power of corporate health care provider more directly. “We have got to have the guts to take on the insurance companies and the drug companies and move forward toward a ‘Medicare for all,’ single-payer program," Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) said on MSNBC’s “All In with Chris Hayes" on Friday night. “And I’ll be introducing legislation shortly to do that." Sanders added on CNN’s “State of the Union" on Sunday that he would “absolutely" seek President Donald Trump’s cooperation on expanding Medicare and lowering prescription drug prices. Even before the Republicans withdrew their Obamacare repeal bill, Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.), the deputy chair of the Democratic National Committee and a close Sanders ally, previewed this message at a rally in defense of Obamacare on Thursday. “Don’t just be satisfied with defeating Trumpcare ― set your sights on creating real Medicare for all!" he told a cheering crowd of hundreds of activists. Ellison is a co-sponsor of a “Medicare for all" bill in the House.

The thing that got me was watch Trump on the news saying, “The best thing we can do right now is just let Obamacare self-destruct.” Honestly, is this the kind of thing a statesman says?

I loved it when Trump warned the Republican Congress critters that if they didn’t vote for his and Ryan’s plan he’d just let Obamacare stay in place. What a maroon.

The thing that got me was watch Trump on the news saying, "The best thing we can do right now is just let Obamacare self-destruct." Honestly, is this the kind of thing a statesman says?
Ah, at the risk of being snarky, who ever claimed Trump was a statesman. ;-P {He's a carnival barker and can't read.}

I do suspect something that I haven’t heard voiced. Ok so the Repub spend 7 years voting to repeal ACA, then finally get their chance. Then they whip up some cockamamey plan that obviously wasn’t thought through etc. It looks to me like their plan was never meant to be serious. All the Repeal and Replace talk was just so much talk to fire up the base and get someone/anyone elected other than Hillary. They never had any intention of R&R but they had to make a token effort they knew would fail, then say, oh gee, sorry it failed. Next…

That does appear to have been the strategy

We know the ACA is flawed. That is the plan Obama signed after he realized he couldn't get single-payer through Congress. With any luck this defeat will force republicans to move forward instead of trying to move us backward.
Problem is they don't know they're going backward. They will continue to devise health plans using free market ideals. It can't be done and I suspect they know it. They don't want a health plan that subsidises poor people. They want a plan that doesn't cost them any money and that's the only kind of plan Republicans can come up with. They don't know how to do anything else. But they will present it with great fanfare and lies. They're good at that. LL
We know the ACA is flawed. That is the plan Obama signed after he realized he couldn't get single-payer through Congress. With any luck this defeat will force republicans to move forward instead of trying to move us backward.
Problem is they don't know they're going backward. They will continue to devise health plans using free market ideals. It can't be done and I suspect they know it. They don't want a health plan that subsidises poor people. They want a plan that doesn't cost them any money and that's the only kind of plan Republicans can come up with. They don't know how to do anything else. But they will present it with great fanfare and lies. They're good at that. LLExactly. What I don't get is all the pundits who can't seem to figure that out. Healthcare means you put others first. Rethugs are basically me-first hiding behind you-first.
Problem is they don't know they're going backward. They will continue to devise health plans using free market ideals. It can't be done and I suspect they know it. They don't want a health plan that subsidises poor people. They want a plan that doesn't cost them any money and that's the only kind of plan Republicans can come up with. They don't know how to do anything else. But they will present it with great fanfare and lies. They're good at that. LLExactly. What I don't get is all the pundits who can't seem to figure that out. Healthcare means you put others first. Rethugs are basically me-first hiding behind you-first. Yes, I'm not so sure they will move us forward. They see what Obama did as an abomination that will destroy the country and see the values and ideas of the 50s and 60s as moving forward.
White House says diabetics don’t deserve health insurance By Oliver Willis | MAY 11, 2017 http://shareblue.com/white-house-says-diabetics-dont-deserve-health-insurance/#.WRUECTZgoOc.facebook Donald Trump’s budget director specifically called out people suffering from diabetes as a group of Americans who do not deserve the protection of health insurance. Mick Mulvaney, director of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), weighed in on the issue at the Light Forum at Stanford University. He was asked if families should be denied medical care because they can’t afford it, a standard Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-LA) had termed “the Jimmy Kimmel test," after the late night comedian’s recent emotional call for improved health care. Mulvaney said he believed in helping to provide “a safety net so that if you get cancer you don’t end up broke," but separated those situations from others he termed “ordinary healthcare," what he described as the heart of the debate. He continued, “That doesn’t mean we should take care of the person who sits at home, eats poorly and gets diabetes. Is that the same thing as Jimmy Kimmel’s kid? I don’t think that it is." As of 2014, 29.1 million Americans suffer from diabetes, which is about 9.3 percent of the population. Under Mulvaney’s standard, an examination of their eating habits and how their disease was triggered would have to be undertaken before it could be determined whether they are deserving of health insurance or not. In the meantime, people will suffer and possibly die from their illness. ...
The GOPO vicious, amoral and proud of it.

Nasty little CFI S.N. Let me clarify GOP the once honorable Grand Old Party - aka Republican Party