The new Republican center of gravity

Here’s an interesting resource for looking at who’s who in the GOP and their feelings regarding Trump’s Presidential bid.
The “Never” column is heartening but way the heck too small.
So much for the “principled” Republicans - yet another right-wing chimera.

The new Republican center of gravity By Tom McCarthy, Ben Jacobs, Rich Harris, Aliza Aufrichtig, Jan Diehm, Nadja Popovich, Kenan Davis and Lauren Leatherby From 'vehemently oppose' to 'all in': explore the universe of positions on Donald Trump. See which politicians have been sucked into orbit by the gas giant and which ones are resisting the pull. http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2016/may/14/who-supports-donald-trump-the-new-republican-center-of-gravity

As I’ve said before, things like this are silly and miss the point. Trump is just a buffoon messenger. The message itself is exactly what Republicans have been espousing for decades. Unfortunately pundits, left and right, can’t seem to tell the difference between messenger and message and therefore let Repubs off the hook by constantly trotting out the idea that Trump’s message is only his. And the Repubs are allowed to reject the messenger and message in one fell swoop, which is a lie.

As I've said before, things like this are silly and miss the point. Trump is just a buffoon messenger. The message itself is exactly what Republicans have been espousing for decades. Unfortunately pundits, left and right, can't seem to tell the difference between messenger and message and therefore let Repubs off the hook by constantly trotting out the idea that Trump's message is only his. And the Repubs are allowed to reject the messenger and message in one fell swoop, which is a lie.
Republicans are good at that. It's their bread and butter.
As I've said before, things like this are silly and miss the point. Trump is just a buffoon messenger. The message itself is exactly what Republicans have been espousing for decades. Unfortunately pundits, left and right, can't seem to tell the difference between messenger and message and therefore let Repubs off the hook by constantly trotting out the idea that Trump's message is only his. And the Repubs are allowed to reject the messenger and message in one fell swoop, which is a lie.
True enough, Trump is the obvious end result of, exactly what the Tea Party has been all about, contempt for government, laws, regulations, devil taxes, and most of all to hell with mutual respect or listening and learning from each other. They are the harbingers of the age of Lord of the Flies. Though it looks like Trump will fizzle out, the anger, anarchy and contempt he stands for has hit the big time and the damage done will be tough to mend.
True enough, Trump is the obvious end result of, exactly what the Tea Party has been all about, contempt for government, laws, regulations, devil taxes, and most of all to hell with mutual respect or listening and learning from each other. They are the harbingers of the age of Lord of the Flies. Though it looks like Trump will fizzle out, the anger, anarchy and contempt he stands for has hit the big time and the damage done will be tough to mend. You missed your own reference didn't you cc? The theme of Lord of the Flies is that you put a bunch of prim and proper boys on an island, and civilization breaks down pretty fast. A lot, I'd say most, people don't mature beyond that level, most are about that educated. We are always on the edge of slipping back into that.
True enough, Trump is the obvious end result of, exactly what the Tea Party has been all about, contempt for government, laws, regulations, devil taxes, and most of all to hell with mutual respect or listening and learning from each other. They are the harbingers of the age of Lord of the Flies. Though it looks like Trump will fizzle out, the anger, anarchy and contempt he stands for has hit the big time and the damage done will be tough to mend. You missed your own reference didn't you cc? The theme of Lord of the Flies is that you put a bunch of prim and proper boys on an island, and civilization breaks down pretty fast. A lot, I'd say most, people don't mature beyond that level, most are about that educated. We are always on the edge of slipping back into that.The social contract and all that? Not sure what you mean, can you spell it out a bit better?
The social contract and all that? Not sure what you mean, can you spell it out a bit better?
I don't think the Lord of the Flies was meant to be a prediction of an "age" of any kind, rather it was a depiction of what is always there, just below the surface. Not really even below the surface if you go into a war zone, or a ghetto that lacks good policing, or the hills of West Virginia. It was just a few hundred years ago that Kings did whatever they wanted with women in their kingdom and people walking around in cities might just stick a knife in you for no reason. There are plenty of people around today who think that's how things should be. We provide enough freedom so those baser instincts can be exercised without much harm and plenty of sanctions so they don't. We've pushed pretty hard into those sensibilities lately, expecting people to go against their nature of how they feel about correct sexual behavior or what food they should eat or the circumstances of when and how much skin should be shown where. And then we are surprised when people push back. The Left really missed boat thinking this was something that was just a leftover from bygone days and it would fade away. Purity laws have a purpose and they create culture, like them or not. The funny thing is many on the Left have created their own laws with non-GMO and organics and don't see how they isolated themselves from people who could actually be partners in building a better world. But I digress.
The social contract and all that? Not sure what you mean, can you spell it out a bit better?
I don't think the Lord of the Flies was meant to be a prediction of an "age" of any kind, rather it was a depiction of what is always there, just below the surface. Not really even below the surface if you go into a war zone, or a ghetto that lacks good policing, or the hills of West Virginia. It was just a few hundred years ago that Kings did whatever they wanted with women in their kingdom and people walking around in cities might just stick a knife in you for no reason. There are plenty of people around today who think that's how things should be. We provide enough freedom so those baser instincts can be exercised without much harm and plenty of sanctions so they don't. We've pushed pretty hard into those sensibilities lately, expecting people to go against their nature of how they feel about correct sexual behavior or what food they should eat or the circumstances of when and how much skin should be shown where. And then we are surprised when people push back. The Left really missed boat thinking this was something that was just a leftover from bygone days and it would fade away. Purity laws have a purpose and they create culture, like them or not. The funny thing is many on the Left have created their own laws with non-GMO and organics and don't see how they isolated themselves from people who could actually be partners in building a better world. But I digress. Yes you are digressing. But, I'm following what you're saying and don't disagree with any of it.
I don't think the Lord of the Flies was meant to be a prediction of an "age" of any kind, rather it was a depiction of what is always there, just below the surface.
You got me on that one. I agree the story is about depicting what's lurking under the surface. My analogy may be sloppy, but I think it still applies. Guess I need to chew on it a bit more see what analogy would work better. As for our current situation the new GOP and Trump is all about dismissing our higher social abilities and taking us back to a wild wild frontier situation, everyone for themselves and a gun on every hip. Although odds are our environmental collapse and weather catastrophes will over take that trend, and give us petty humans some genuine problems to replace all these self-created elective and contrived issues of contention the Bozos are so preoccupied with these days.
My analogy may be sloppy, but I think it still applies. Guess I need to chew on it a bit more see what analogy would work better. As for our current situation the new GOP and Trump is all about dismissing our higher social abilities and taking us back to a wild wild frontier situation, everyone for themselves and a gun on every hip. Although odds are our environmental collapse and weather catastrophes will over take that trend, and give us petty humans some genuine problems to replace all these self-created elective and contrived issues of contention the Bozos are so preoccupied with these days.
No disagreement, just one of many things I'm a stickler about. Like Ayn Rand's bad analogy of Atlas. I found a book called Sissyphus Shrugged that attempts to correct it. For the most part, we do call people "backwards" or "behind the times" if they are acting like people did just a few centuries ago. It would be much more convenient for people who like to be in control if there was no internet, or High School only taught you minimal skills. That is the case still for a lot of people. What's weird is they somehow made that a quality, like it's something to strive for or be proud of. I've never actually experienced it, but I've heard there are places in Europe where people of all education levels and job skill levels discuss fine art and opera. By associating those things with high society we've created the divides we have. That goes way back to royalty being patrons so I'm not sure who or what to blame, but it doesn't seem like it should be that hard to correct.