The Discovery

Great indie movie, available on Netflix.
In the opening scene, you find out a neuroscientist has proven that there is an afterlife. He doesn’t know much about, but he can show there is one. This causes a massive rise in suicides. This is not an action movie though. It’s mostly about family and love.

I no longer have Netflix so can’t watch the movie, but it does bring up an interesting point. Why do people who believe in an afterlife where all is bliss and people will be reunited mourn when a loved one passes? Seems to me they’d be happy, especially if the loved one had been suffering.

That comes up. People realize the next step is to “move people along” by killing them. They make another discovery, but they keep it secret.
The religious prevention is, suicide and murder will send you to hell. But that doesn’t explain the sadness at funerals.

My brother was a Christian, as were the vast majority of his friends. When he passed away last month my brother’s friends were inconsolable. I had to hold my tongue. About all I could say was “At least he isn’t suffering any longer.” I really wanted to rip into them for being selfish and hypocritical, but that wasn’t the time. Two of them are meeting me in Denmark in early September to help spread my brother’s ashes. We’ll talk frankly then.

In the opening scene, you find out a neuroscientist has proven that there is an afterlife. He doesn't know much about, but he can show there is one. This causes a massive rise in suicides.
That doesn't make sense. Unless the idea is that life is so shitty that a hint of afterlife makes some want to rush out of this one to visit that one?

Darron’s post has me thinking of the fear people have of nothing after death.
I don’t get it. Guess it has to do with me spending, (lets see 61 minus 16/17), four decades getting used to the notion.
For me the thought of nothing after death has made my day to day existence so much more important,
to develop the awareness to actually witness and think about, and absorb the moments of one’s life and struggles.
in the end
I’ll bet by my mental landscape is infinitely richer and more fulfilling
than anyone’s who’s wrapped themselves up in a dogmatic tribal text as though that represents all of the truth this Universe has to offer. Sick thought that one.

in the end I'll bet by my mental landscape is infinitely richer and more fulfilling than anyone's who's wrapped themselves up in a dogmatic tribal text as though that represents all of the truth this Universe has to offer. Sick thought that one.
Not as sick as believing oneself actually understands God or that they can speak on God's behalf. Insanity lies in that direction - just take a look at this degenerating civilization we've created under the guidance (or is that duress) of God. What a shame the "Intellectual Enlightenment" turned out to be so superficial among the masses.