The "dark" side of the moon and the sun lit Earth

More fun images from NASA

From a Million Miles Away, NASA Camera Shows Moon Crossing Face of Earth http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/from-a-million-miles-away-nasa-camera-shows-moon-crossing-face-of-earth A NASA camera aboard the Deep Space Climate Observatory (DSCOVR) satellite captured a unique view of the moon as it moved in front of the sunlit side of Earth last month. The series of test images shows the fully illuminated “dark side" of the moon that is never visible from Earth. The images were captured by NASA’s Earth Polychromatic Imaging Camera (EPIC), a four megapixel CCD camera and telescope on the DSCOVR satellite orbiting 1 million miles from Earth. From its position between the sun and Earth, DSCOVR conducts its primary mission of real-time solar wind monitoring for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). ... EPIC maintains a constant view of the fully illuminated Earth as it rotates, providing scientific observations of ozone, vegetation, cloud height and aerosols in the atmosphere. Once EPIC begins regular observations next month, the camera will provide a series of Earth images allowing study of daily variations over the entire globe. About twice a year the camera will capture the moon and Earth together as the orbit of DSCOVR crosses the orbital plane of the moon. ... The far side of the moon was not seen until 1959 when the Soviet Luna 3 spacecraft returned the first images. Since then, several NASA missions have imaged the lunar far side in great detail. The same side of the moon always faces an earthbound observer because the moon is tidally locked to Earth. That means its orbital period is the same as its rotation around its axis. ...

It an interesting view of things. I just can;t figure out why the moon images look fake. I have a feeling someone played around with the exposure of the lunar portion of the image so the details would be visible despite a much brighter earth in the background. It looks like someone applied some really bad HDR processing to it.

It is an amazing and beautiful selfie.

If this video is real, and BTW in case you didn’t know it’s all over FB, it’s the first I’ve seen of the full Moon and Earth together. Damn!
Cap’t Jack

If this video is real, and BTW in case you didn't know it's all over FB, it's the first I've seen of the full Moon and Earth together. Damn! Cap't Jack
Well, if it's on FB, it must be accurate! Who could doubt FB? It has an incredible amount of scientific backing.
Well, if it’s on FB, it must be accurate! Who could doubt FB? It has an incredible amount of scientific backing.
What the hell is this cheap shot for? My reference to FB was merely to show that the video has been shared on the popular media, not to verify it's validity! Cap't Jack
It an interesting view of things. I just can;t figure out why the moon images look fake. I have a feeling someone played around with the exposure of the lunar portion of the image so the details would be visible despite a much brighter earth in the background. It looks like someone applied some really bad HDR processing to it.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Hmmm, but you know . . . It occurs to me looking at that, that determinism did humanity a good turn on that score, I'm glad I'm not stuck with that boring side of the moon to look at every month. Although, if I had Lucy's eyes, I might think differently http://vielmetti.typepad.com/vacuum/2011/11/moon-maps-lroc.html
Well, if it’s on FB, it must be accurate! Who could doubt FB? It has an incredible amount of scientific backing.
What the hell is this cheap shot for? My reference to FB was merely to show that the video has been shared on the popular media, not to verify it's validity! Cap't Jack
Yeah, the NASA.gov origins works for me. ;-)
OK, then! Lois