The Brain Creates Religion - Lionel Tiger

Not sure where you got the several billion number. Most religions don’t have strong sanctions for apostasy and even those who do aren’t able to enforce them. Several million would be more accurate.

I did qualify with “modern world”, and I think it’s pretty well accepted, even within religions, that each individual is “on their own path”. It’s pretty hard to argue against when Christian denominations stand almost side by side in every town. It’s not even a new idea, Hindu’s have so many gods no individual could know all of them, they get to choose their personal favorite.

I have been talking to atheists for 10+ years and a common thread is they are angry nerds. Atheism simply attracts those who are outcasts – that is what the movement is about. My own atheism is a small and fading part of my identity which I now see as a leftover flaw from my angry teen years.

[quote=“thatoneguy, post:43, topic:8409”]
I have been talking to atheists for 10+ years and a common thread is they are angry nerds. Atheism simply attracts those who are outcasts – that is what the movement is about.

Atheists are angry nerds? Angry about what?
And while you’re at it, give me your definition of a nerd

My own atheism is a small and fading part of my identity which I now see as a leftover flaw from my angry teen years.

I can see that you are very conflicted, exactly about what is unclear. You have just expressed and projected your own feelings without any rhyme or reasons or direction.

Are you sure you are in the right forum for this? We all know the brain creates religion. The question is if that is a result of “knowledge” or “inculcation”.

What is culture inculcation?

the process of fixing beliefs or ideas in someone’s mind , especially by repeating them often: The law exempts nonprofit religious groups whose purpose is the inculcation of religious values.

One good reason for atheists to be angry.

It’s a spandrel which nonetheless obviously has survival value. Individualized species characteristics are grouped in the largest, longest artefacts known to humanity. I’m a huge fan of Haidt’s moral foundations theory, critiques and all. I, of course, dismiss group selection tho’ I’d love it to be so. As I would Darwin’s Radio & Children, but not Blood Music!