The Big Papa said God is not a magician

The pople defends evolution thoary and the big bag theory.
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/10/28/god-isnt-a-magician-with-a-magic-wand-pope-defends-evolution-big-bang-theories/

“He created human beings and let them develop according to the internal laws that he gave to each one so they would reach their fulfilment." “The Big Bang, which today we hold to be the origin of the world, does not contradict the intervention of the divine creator but, rather, requires it."
It doesn't really sound like much of a change to me. It's more than they've done in the past but they are still requiring the NEED for a deity. I know they're a church so they have to include God somehow, I guess this is the best we can expect.
“He created human beings and let them develop according to the internal laws that he gave to each one so they would reach their fulfilment." “The Big Bang, which today we hold to be the origin of the world, does not contradict the intervention of the divine creator but, rather, requires it."
It doesn't really sound like much of a change to me. It's more than they've done in the past but they are still requiring the NEED for a deity. I know they're a church so they have to include God somehow, I guess this is the best we can expect.
A significant portion of mankind will never develop beyond superstitious religious thinking. At least the current Pope is seemingly attempting to move his flock in a more rational and humanitarian direction of thinking. I would be more impressed, however, if he were able to move the Catholic Church to do more substantial things such as recognizing persons' sexual orientation as perfectly acceptable, and such as promoting contraceptive use as perfectly acceptable, and such as allowing priests to get married, and such as allowing women to become priests and to hold positions of authority in the Catholic Church.

Pretty neat trick. God doesn’t have a magic wand, but he still does miracles. What’s the point about the wand then?

Pretty neat trick. God doesn't have a magic wand, but he still does miracles. What's the point about the wand then?
Right. Dualist thinking is ultimately irrational. But some dualist thinking is more irrational than others. e.g., Creationist beliefs that deny evolutionary processes and claim that the Earth is 6000 years old are more irrational than theologies that allow room for the reasonable consideration and potential acceptance of ideas such as the Big Bang and the processes of evolution.

How does he know what God can’t do?
Just because the Big Guy in the Sky chooses to use natural phenomenon the vast majority of the time does not mean HE had to. Maybe the universe is a kindergarten for us to figure out.
LOL
psik

How does he know what God can't do? Just because the Big Guy in the Sky chooses to use natural phenomenon the vast majority of the time does not mean HE had to. Maybe the universe is a kindergarten for us to figure out. LOL psik
Or maybe we should use logic to figure it out--and the brains bible believers think god gave us? Would that be too complicated? Lois
How does he know what God can't do? Just because the Big Guy in the Sky chooses to use natural phenomenon the vast majority of the time does not mean HE had to. Maybe the universe is a kindergarten for us to figure out. LOL psik
Or maybe we should use logic to figure it out--and the brains bible believers think god gave us? Would that be too complicated? LoisAbsolutely. That's why I always say Atheists Will Go to Heaven (assuming they value reason). A person dies, it's their judgment day, and god's secretary asks "Did you live by faith or reason?" The person answers, "Oh yes I was a god fearing Christian/Muslim/Jew and always let my faith guide me". Secretary responds "Ok then you get to go to hell. God gave you a goddamned brain, one of her best inventions, and you just throw it away and act like a brute.".

The Catholic God is evolving. :lol:

Most religions have evolved over time as they have lost influence and members because their dogma is out of step with the culture at large. They have less and to offer by comparison to modern medicine, science, and philosophy. The pope is just reacting to the writing on the wall, that the church will have to change to retain members and be relavent in the very near future.