Supplements causing increasing numbers of hospital visits due to liver injury

The liver is the bodies chemistry factory. It takes molecules we ingest and modifies them into things that are less harmful and which can be more easily excreted. Virtually everything we consume passes through the liver and goes through some sort of precessing. Some things do so harmlessly while others can put stress on the liver and over time can cause damage to it. Its no surprise then that given the public’s love affair with supplements over the past few years we are now seeing a jump in cases of liver injury as these unregulated substances are being used more and more. The story below form the NY Times reports on this growing problem.

I’ve seen it before. Not surprised at all.

The problem with supplements is that there is no control place on them by the FDA. No of use should be taking any of them unless advised to do so by an MD.

Sorry friends, I answered some old posts that others have already responded to. In fact, I had responded to them back then, too. I’m sure both Rosanin and Jaysam are trolls as others have stated. If they are not they should have responded by now.
Lois

Here’s an interesting follow-up:

Many sports supplements have no trace of their key ingredients

Seven products also have at least one compound prohibited by the Food and Drug Administration

By Meghan Rosen

JULY 26, 2023 AT 8:00 AM

Fat incinerator. Metabolism booster. Thermo activator. Some over-the-counter sports supplements advertise ingredients with purported performance-enhancing properties, but it’s anyone’s guess what’s really in that pill or powder.

Just 11 percent of nearly 60 tested dietary supplements actually contain an accurate amount of key ingredients listed on the label, scientists report July 17 in JAMA Network Open. Forty percent did not contain a detectable amount of the ingredients at all.

“I just had to shake my head,” says Pieter Cohen, a primary care doctor at Cambridge Health Alliance in Somerville, Mass. …

Thats so chumpy you can carve it

Unlike the article, which talks about weight loss supplements and not things like multivitamins and D3, as well as Omegas, which my doctor has me on, you didn’t clarify which supplements. This is important. It’s also important to talk one’s doctor before trying anything like that. Being a pharmacy tech I am also privy to more info about such side effects, which helps me too.

Welcome to the forum, Dadada.

Welcome to the forum dada

This forum is as dead as flies on my windscreen and then some

Nice. Thanks for the contribution. How did you find us?

1 Like

Have I ever told you, you’re a great sport.

Wonderful response. :rofl:

1 Like

Prodigious use of the delete button

And this is the conservative group

https://www.cato.org/blog/new-data-show-migrants-were-more-likely-be-released-trump-biden