star, moon, planet gazing 2/10/14

Well every day that crescent moon gets a little higher and fatter in the sky because it is progressing across the sky Guess I could have used a better term, but none comes to mind right now. :cheese:
Setting? It is called a sunset, so I assume also a moonset. Funny. Sunset is in my browser's dictionary, moonset isn't... :roll:

But the moon’s own orbit does progress opposite to the rotation of the sun, stars and moon as seen from Earth.
While the moon is setting it’s also inching up the horizon. :wink:
In fact, come to think of it, this thread was inspired by watching that fine scale progression towards the east.
~ ~ ~
Guess it comes from being keen on catching a glimpse of the new moon’s sliver as early as possible and in that respective every night you’ll find it risen higher on the horizon.

http://www.orion-drustvo.si/MBKTeam/eclipses/lecl01jan.htm

But if this picture is taken at the northern hemisphere, it shows the eclipsed moon rising at the eastern horizon. But on the other side it is, according to your definition, inching down day by day, i.e. you would say it is setting, in the east... OK, I am just making fun of you... Just to compensate: I admire your indefatigable efforts to make people conscious of the danger, and real existence of global warming. Really.

If we are at it: somebody made a movie of the moon covering Saturn at 22.02.2014. Look at it here].
Screendump attached.

Two in a row! :ahhh:
I may have to hide for a while before I get over this, I’m not really that dumb, just that inattentive.
This is a little closer to what I was actually going for.

When I was a kid we had an encyclopedia set and one of the books had this fantastic multiple exposure mosaic of the complete cycle of the waxing and waning moon that always fascinated me, I been trying to find something comparable for nearly a half hour and all I come up with is silly eclipse multiple exposures,
I won’t fall into that trap again. 8-/

Oh yea, cool video of Saturn slipping behind the moon!
Thanks
Two in a row! :ahhh: I may have to hide for a while before I get over this, I'm not really that dumb, just that inattentive.
No wonder. If you are so much more committed to global warming... Well it is clear what is more important. But it is good to see how beautiful the world can be, so now and then.
This is a little closer to what I was actually going for.
Yeah, that's it. Very clear picture.
If we are at it: somebody made a movie of the moon covering Saturn at 22.02.2014. Look at it here]. Screendump attached.
Sweet video. Wish I could have seen that through my telescope, but I was asleep. I picked up a used 80mm Stellarvue refractor real cheap today. Care to guess the weather forecast?

There are always people who can do it better. And are in better places. They get their pictures on ‘Astronomy Picture of the Day]’.

Venus now appears as planet Earth's brilliant morning star standing above the eastern horizon before dawn. For most, the silvery celestial beacon rose in a close pairing with an old crescent Moon on February 26. But seen from locations in western Africa before sunrise, the lunar crescent actually occulted or passed in front of Venus, also in a crescent phase.

The new telescope curse strikes again. I just bought a used Televue Pronto for a travel scope, and every night I’ve had a chance to use it has been cloudy and/or raining. Curse you Red Baron! Oops. sorry. Wrong metaphor.
I think i’m going call Al Nagler tomorrow and ask how that cloud filter is coming along.