Sierra Nevada geology, talk about the folds within folds of cumulative complexity !

I love winding up at arstechnica.com, its climate science articles are consistently very informative and well written.
And the sidebar come-ons for different stories inevitably lead me to endless wonderful diversions of discovery.
I am an Earth science glutton and some of you old timers know I’m an expatriated-Californian.
I lived in Yosemite NP nearly 3 years after high school and learned all I could about the geology of Sierra’s and such.
I spent a bunch more years learning about it until Rocky Mountain Geology swept me away like a more intense and fascinating lover.
Then a couple decades flew by and one finds oneself with an article that one picks up with a smug understanding of the topic only to get one’s mind blown.
Perhaps mind expanded is better. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
The experience of reading an author taking you though familiar territory, only to start dumping new information that totally remolds your understanding
into something more complex and complete, a beautiful amazing new understanding taking into account intricacies you never knew existed.
Right now, I’m still a bit overwhelmed with these folds within folds of cumulative complexity, lots to take in, still what can I say, stuff like this I like sharing.
Besides I know there are a few California kids out there,
and if you’re into a simple refresher on what the geologists have been learning these past couple decades about the Sierra Nevada mountains, this is the story for you.

Growing mystery—getting to the bottom of the highest peak in the Lower 48 The history of a surprisingly enigmatic Sierra Nevada mountain range. SCOTT K. JOHNSON - 5/7/2015, https://arstechnica.com/science/2015/05/mountain-mystery-the-stop-and-go-growth-of-the-sierra-nevada/ (Here's Scott's concluding remarks, which I thought was a good summation of the scientific endeavor. as for the Sierra's story, quotes won't help, read the whole thing :-) ) ... The hypothesis that recent uplift occurred in the southern Sierra as its dense root peeled off is a strong contender to pull things together for that resurgent third act. “The idea that you get mountain uplift by [removing some of the] lower crust has been kicking around since around 1980. But in terms of observations where we can cleanly separate it from other processes going on, the Sierra is the poster child," Craig Jones said. There are, however, researchers who remain unconvinced, and some have other ideas about what has happened or why. ... In science, attempts at answers often beget questions that beget questions. It’s not that you don’t end up knowing more than when you started, but you populate a whole new list of things you don’t know and would like to. The unknown is a magnet that pulls on the curious; this is what drives science. Perhaps the pull of this mystery will convert some young Yosemite visitor into a future geologist—maybe even a future Yosemite Park geologist.