Seeking recommendations for alternative treatment for anxiety!

I’ve suffered from a severe form of anxiety since I was a child and as of today I have tried every anxiety medication including antidepressants and benzodiazepines. They have me on max dose of Clonazepam 4 times a day as a last resort and it isn’t helping at all.

So my question is what alternative herbs, supplements, or other forms of treatment may be worth trying? Herbs, supplements, anything really.

BTW, I’ve tried CBD multiple times and different ways and it just made me feel uncomfortable without any anti anxiety effects.

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated, much love friends.

1 Like

For whatever reason drugs don’t work on you so you’ll have to train yourself to accept things the way they are without reacting to them.

Read or watch videos about stoicism. A stoic can (theoretically) be happy in just about any circumstances.

I found out about stoicism not that long ago and think it makes sense. There is certainly no downside to looking into it and applying it’s ideas, so you’ve got nothing to lose and lots to gain.

P.S. - Maybe changing little things like your name and avatar on here would help too. A positive attitude is helpful when fighting anxiety. The name ‘Deadboy’ is pretty negative sounding and your avatar makes me cringe rather than smile.

gentle jogging, 3K a day

This is going to sound like a really old person and it won’t help if I tell you how many years I spent taking one or more controlled substances per day: Don’t go wondering around on the internet for advice on drugs. You might as well just buy Uncle Willie’s Magic Elixir.

If you can evaluate scientific papers, fine, but an anonymous forum, mmm, no.

1 Like

Avoid chaotic unrhythmic sound tracks of any sort. Instead have rhythmic music (not higher than 80 beats per min) or other soundtracks with rhythmic sounds, e.g. ocean waves, or such. Same thing in avoiding activities that involve non-rhythmic body movements. Rather seek activities that have body movements that are rhythmic and not too fast. So one that I suggested, gentle jogging 3K a day, (should be rhythmic jogging). You may have to build up to 3K a day. Consult with your doctor.

Get a 1hr full body massage 3 x’s a week.

If you are going to get off all that medicine that you indicate is not helping, again, work with your doctor on weaning off if necessary.

1 Like

Learn to Meditate ~ Follow the Dalai Lama on Twitter

Hey there, that’s a great question. There are actually many ways to cure anxiety at home. I found a short video on Youtube that explains some ways on how to cure anxiety.

I’ve been dealing with the anxiety as well and did a lot of research. This video helped me the most so far.

Click on that link above and once you land on the page, click where it sya “ I am not a robot” and then you will be on your way to the Youtube video to help you with your problem.

Wish you the best of luck!

This may help:

and the Dalai Lama seems to like harp music

@fetalfreak

In all honesty: You should give hypnosis a try. I mean hypnotherapy preferably by a professional certified through ICBCH. Do your homework. Check reviews. Hypnotherapy is still a relatively new and developing treatment, and definitions around the term are still fuzzy.

Hypnotherapy isn’t quackery. I specifically sought one out who was utterly without woo, focused on brain function and not past lives and stuff.

It isn’t a “cure” or a quick fix, but I can tell you that it has made a significant difference for me.

Some are covered through medical insurance. Others aren’t. Most are willing to work with you. A good hypnotherapist will be looking to keep sessions at a minimum (like 3) and teaching you self-hypnosis. Once you get to that point, free and inexpensive online and phone apps like Hypnobox are available. But I would suggest starting with IRL sessions first.

Let the music take you…up, up, and away!!!

Sorry Write4U, but I’d be hesitant to play that last video to POW’s as a means to get information out of them. It is too close to torture. But you and everyone else here can go to town with it! I could endure the first video for a few minutes.

I go for ambient/space/trance music while at work, and good old 80’s pop while at home.

Tee, I haven’t tried hypnotherapy, but I would like to, to see if it works on me.

I turned on all 3 of Write’s music suggestions, at the same time. peacefully chaotic meta-musak. Don’t try this at home.

When it comes to music, art and anything else considered ‘high culture’, I hit maximum maturity at about age 18.

My inability to appreciate the music in the last video reflects nothing more than my inability to ‘get’ what others somehow appreciate and love.

Maybe I could use hypnotherapy to find out what happened to the part of my personality associated with culture and the arts. It would be cool to care about and appreciate Shakespeare, wine, theater, classical music, modern art, any type of design or fashion, and all the other things normal adults seem to appreciate.

@3point14rat

Maybe I could use hypnotherapy to find out what happened to the part of my personality associated with culture and the arts. It would be cool to care about and appreciate Shakespeare, wine, theater, classical music, modern art, any type of design or fashion, and all the other things normal adults seem to appreciate.
I guess, because theoretically, hypnotherapy could help with anything...but that's a little... I don't know. "Out there," I guess.

As usual, I actually want to help this person Deadboy (@fetalfreak). (Remember Xain? Big waste.) But I am assuming that if Deadboy has suffered severe anxiety for many years, and has tried various prescription meds without relief, then watching a video with the Dalai Lama, going jogging or listening to music isn’t really going to help him.

I suggest hypnotherapy because I want people to know it is a real treatment that should be taken seriously. I have recently explored it and wished I had, many years earlier.

The thing about anxiety is that your neurological system can get “stuck” in an overly-active state. This can happen from trauma, from tapering off medications, all sorts of things.

And the flight-or-flight feeling is uncontrollable, because your subconscious mind is in a loop with it.

The type of hypnotherapy I am talking about isn’t about exploring past lives, or becoming more appreciative of fine art. It is leaning to consciously lower your physical and mental systems of panic.

I guess, because theoretically, hypnotherapy could help with anything…but that’s a little… I don’t know. “Out there,” I guess.
Yes. I know it's not what you meant, but I was wandering pretty far off topic so thought I'd bring in hypnotherapy to at least appear relevant.

I have always had anxiety and would dearly love to have medication to help. I tried CBT but it’s like using a broom to hold back the tide- my anxiety is far too extreme in certain situations for CBT to be effective.

My sympathy is with anyone who has anxiety issues. They utterly debilitate and prevent you from living any sort of fulfilling life. It’s no exaggeration to say that it can destroy any potential you have.

Hypnotherapy is something that’s likely not available in the small-town I live in. I’d have to travel to the city to see a therapist who does it.

Maybe you could hypnotize him to do all of the things we have suggested.

Long story short – I find CBT helps with certain things, but I have to be careful. I have also used it to gaslight myself in a bad way.

Lots of free resources are out there for self-hypnosis, online and in phone apps. I think it would work better to start IRL, but if that isn’t possible, I would seriously try one of the free options before totally giving up.

LOL but really...

I am very new at this but totally intrigued. I want to go farther, and have thought about learning how to do it for others. I think it is an underutilized tool.

LOL but really...

I am very new at this but totally intrigued. I want to go farther, and have thought about learning how to do it for others. I think it is an underutilized tool.

You can say that again. Oh. You did.