Science test

Here’s a neat quiz on how much science adults know. Pew says only 7% of the adult population gets all 13 questions correct. The analysis is interesting. See how you do.

You answered 13 of 13 questions correctly.
What a joke!
psik

Only 7% of people could answer all 13 of those correctly? That is frightening. That is the easiest “science” quiz I have ever taken, by a long shot.
Edit: corrected a typo.

That’s the easiest ‘science quiz’ I’ve ever taken. 13 correct.

Only 7% of people could answer all 13 of those correctly? That is frightening. That is the easiest "science" quiz I have ever taken, by a long shot. Edit: corrected a typo.
Members of this forum are not representative of the broader population. I can beleve that only 7% could answer all 13 questions correctly. It would be interesting to know how many questions attendees and graduates of Christian schools and universities can answer.

None of us knows everything but it scares the hell out of me that any adult didn’t get all or almost all of those correct.

Only 7% of people could answer all 13 of those correctly? That is frightening. That is the easiest "science" quiz I have ever taken, by a long shot. Edit: corrected a typo.
Even worse, some people didn't get even one question right, which is harder to believe. I don't think most Americans care about these things and never focus on them. The ones who didn't get any right must be illiterate or they gave up on he first question--which was true or false. Lois

Those questions were all common sense to anyone who paid attention in elementary school and has read a newspaper even once a week. I’m not entirely surprised at the numbers though. I don’t think its surprising that less than a third of the population knew nitrogen was the most common gas in the atmosphere but whats sad is that college didn’t seem to help much with that, and only 48% of people knew that light was used in lasers and not sound? Thats pretty strange since they are in every scifi movie and such a part of the common language. How the heck did so many people get that wrong?

I have to agree with Darron; that was an unbelievably easy science test. And also my fear for the future of our country if only 7% managed to get all 13 answers correct.
Occam

I wonder how LilySmith would fare… :roll:

And tell me, Asanta, why do you think the Pew poll people would have more correct answers in that test than God stated in the bible??? :lol: :lol:
Occam

Those questions were all common sense to anyone who paid attention in elementary school and has read a newspaper even once a week. I'm not entirely surprised at the numbers though. I don't think its surprising that less than a third of the population knew nitrogen was the most common gas in the atmosphere but whats sad is that college didn't seem to help much with that, and only 48% of people knew that light was used in lasers and not sound? Thats pretty strange since they are in every scifi movie and such a part of the common language. How the heck did so many people get that wrong?
I suspect some people gave up as soon as they read a question they didn't have a clue about. Anyone who reads a paper or even watches intelligent news programs, who has a passing interest in science and has a decent memory most likely would have been able to answer most questions correctly, but too many people, and I know some of them, simply shut down when they think they are going to be asked questions they don't have the answer to and will therefore make them look stupid. Some of it may be that they don't trust their memory. I know I'd have the same reaction if I were faced with questions about advanced physics or mathematics. There's no way I could do more than guess--assuming I understood the question. It's easy for us to say they "should" know. But nobody can know what they don't know, no matter what the reason. Lois
And tell me, Asanta, why do you think the Pew poll people would have more correct answers in that test than God stated in the bible???? :lol: :lol: Occam
Duh!!!

I missed the one about the atmosphere. It was the hardest one, so I don’t feel too bad.
I’m surprised some of you think that any adult should get this. I remember those quizzes that used to be common, but have faded in the cloud of data that we see these days, people were asked much simpler questions, like who is the vice president. The results were less than 50% correct. So, if, as you say, “you’re just paying attention” you should know that you live in a world that is horribly under informed and under aware. To expect that population to know something about electrons shows a complete lack of awareness of current culture.
We live in a world where a girl got shot in the face for wanting to go to school. You don’t fix that by complaining about it.

Many, many people do not take quizzes well. Especially multiple choice tests.
By offering up multiple choices, the quiz suggests answers to the person taking the test.
So people with a fairly decent grasp of science might get tripped up by these type quizzes.
Of course our evaluation of the general populations results are going to be biased from the standpoint of this Forum as well.
Most people on here are science nerds or general knowledge buffs.

What our so called educational system makes people learn can be somewhat bizarre. Like in geography they made grade school kids learn about what countries’ major exports were. But whatever that was in the 70s is it the same today? It might change from the time a kid is in 7th grade to the time they graduate from college and they may never visit that country in their lives.
But if nitrogen ceases to be the major component of the atmosphere it would have to mean some HUGE changes in the Earth.
It is like most teachers cannot really comprehend how important science is. Maybe because they were never taught it properly themselves.
psik

The truly sad thing though, at least in the US, is that the ones who score the worst (business majors, polticians) will tend to end up controlling the budgets of those who score the best (science majors).

Here’s a neat quiz on how much science adults know. Pew says only 7% of the adult population gets all 13 questions correct. The analysis is interesting. See how you do. http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/
That was way too easy!

I think all of us here realize that, Walt. It’s that combined with the fact that only 7% of those who took the test got all of the answers correct is scary for our future.
Occam

I think all of us here realize that, Walt. It's that combined with the fact that only 7% of those who took the test got all of the answers correct is scary for our future. Occam
Agreed! That is so scary and true!