"Salt, Sugar, Fat" ; ""Super Size Me" & other movements

If science can show that these foods create a health problem that burdens the whole populace through disease and health costs the purveyors of these foods should be more heavily regulated. The Govconomy though should be ready with economically available safer alternatives....otherwise.
How about the gov't stops subsidizing the meat and dairy industries and subsidizes veggie farmers instead? How about the gov't stops subsidizing corn and forcing us to put ethanol into our gasoline and starts subsidizing sustainable energy instead?
If science can show that these foods create a health problem that burdens the whole populace through disease and health costs the purveyors of these foods should be more heavily regulated. The Govconomy though should be ready with economically available safer alternatives....otherwise.
How about the gov't stops subsidizing the meat and dairy industries and subsidizes veggie farmers instead? How about the gov't stops subsidizing corn and forcing us to put ethanol into our gasoline and starts subsidizing sustainable energy instead? Maybe I don't know anyhing about the impact of subsidies on agriculture and the food supply. Is ethanol good or bad? How are you going to get people to eat their vegetables...so to speak? Yes, regulate the 3 things in this OP in store bought or fast food. If people want to make 3000 calorie sugar salt bombs from scratch-great. Other wise...start making factory made pot pies or Arby's crap for examle under stricter codes. Incentivize new fast food restaurants to make fast, affordable foods with healthy ingredients. The US can market that stuff they just have to have the will...the profit goals. It might be more complicated. Hamburger and fries and cokes are an American staple.
The US can market that stuff they just have to have the will…the profit goals. It might be more complicated. Hamburger and fries and cokes are an American staple.
You just introduced another problem; we have inherited the bread, meat and potatoes (thank you British ancestors) culture not to mention a few zingers from the Germans, giving us a high cholesterol diet from the beginning. That's a long term habit ripe for exploitation. The food industry picked up on a growing demand for the big three and found an inexpensive way to dispense it to American consumers. Our task now is to attempt to unravel four hundred years of bad eating habits. This will only change when the culture changes and we become more like grazers and less carnivorous, e.g. The growth of franchised "steakhouses" since the mid 1960s. They are ubiquitous in America not to mention the sugary drinks that we invented and spread throughout the World marketplace. Where isn't there a coke or Pepsi machine? Cap't Jack
You just introduced another problem; we have inherited the bread, meat and potatoes (thank you British ancestors) culture not to mention a few zingers from the Germans, giving us a high cholesterol diet from the beginning. That's a long term habit ripe for exploitation. The food industry picked up on a growing demand for the big three and found an inexpensive way to dispense it to American consumers. Our task now is to attempt to unravel four hundred years of bad eating habits. This will only change when the culture changes and we become more like grazers and less carnivorous, e.g. The growth of franchised "steakhouses" since the mid 1960s. They are ubiquitous in America not to mention the sugary drinks that we invented and spread throughout the World marketplace. Where isn't there a coke or Pepsi machine? Cap't Jack
Definitely. Deep, deep rooted. You know it all parallels the peak of our industrial boom too. Factory workers..factory food. Americans are(were?) the hardest, most industrious workers on the planet. The quick, high fat high sugar diet was well suited for that. And it got metabolized by hard working proletariats. Especially the caffeine in pop and coffee. Plus the sugars, carbs, and fats. Now everyone is getting fat. That's definitely partly because we aren't the industrial dynamo that we used to be. And that includes big ass home dinners as well. I grew up like millions of Americans with factory workers as family members. And our tables were always spread with big ass roasts and potatoes and pop and milk. Then it was out the door for 10-12 hour shifts at the plant. Grab a hamburger along the way maybe. Coffee. Cigarettes. Fast fast fast. Work Work. In that peak of industrialism, I don't think it mattered. People metabolized the fat and sugar better. It was real fuel! Needed fuel that was fast and cheap for humans. Yes, people keeled over with heart attacks and cancer all the same. But the consciousness of it is more acute now. We aren't getting the same bang for the buck anymore..if that makes sense. In other words the end result of that cheap and fast fuel was realized in better economy for everyone.

Classic example: Primanti Brothers. It was founded in 1933 right in the heart of the strip district in Pittsburgh. It is a sandwich shop that still sells the original heart attack producing giant Ruben sandwich piled high with corned beef, cheese, kraut and topped off with the greasiest French fries you’ve ever eaten and it tastes freekin’ awesome. Truckers stopped there as well as steelworkers on their lunch break and they burned off every calory before they trudged home by trolley up the mountain. Primantis is still open and selling that exact same sandwich. There must be a million calories in it and I confess that I had one after a Pitt game at Heinz Field. My son in law wanted me to experience the ambience of the original restaurant. My point is that we still eat like the previous generation but don’t work off the calories as they did. Our habits must change to fit the more sedentary lifestyle today or match intake with output via exercise. Problem is many of us work longer hours, have less leisure time (blue and white collar workers in the US are notorious for that) and the service industry doesn’t require strenuous activity. Heavy industry is all but dead here as well. Much of it too depends on where in the US you live. BTW, do they have this problem in Canada?
Cap’t Jack

See: “Eat, cook, Love”, Doc Zone (CBC)] if you can.