Right to bear arms?

Like I said earlier, fair enough. No AR15s on Joker999’s territory.

Time magazine may not be the best source, but it’s better than a site dedicated to gun rights. This is a list of some odd hunting situations, but they do list one deer hunter. No mention of ripping the body of the animal apart though, so some facts are left out, IMO.

1 Like

I just happened to catch over the weekend some bit on North Woods Law (animal planet show) where they were going through some regulations. (not sure where this is though)
One regulation is that the firearm you use cannot have more than 3 rounds in it at a time when hunting migratory birds. This keeps people from wiping out a whole flock at once, giving the animals a chance to escape and survive.

2 Likes

In fact, I am wondering if people in favor of weapons control are not doing a big mistake.

They say rightly that weapons legislation is much to weak, they say rightly that 2nd amendment is misused.

But the true mater is why theses facts ?

And the answer is in the culture. Gramsci explained 90 years ago that the one who is culturally dominant, will win politically.

After WWII Ultra right and Ultra liberals in economy , as Milton Friedman, have applied the lesson and have won many points, among them the end of the Fordian compromise.

Back to Weapons:

The law and the 2nd amendment are used with success by NRA and weapons users because, culturally, violence is embedded in the American society, and seen as legitimate. It has always been and is still.

I think that i don’t need to give historical references about this point.

[Cultural hegemony - Wikipedia]

Perhaps it is time for the American society to let go of the “Wild West” mentality.
It does not foster a peaceful and civilized society, and is that not the goal of all democracies?

New topic started at Psilocybin as a Possible Treatment for Depression

@citizenschallengev4 the topic is mentioned in the link that @mrmhead included.

There’s a lot in your question. Myself, I wonder if conceding the point that self defense is a right wouldn’t be a good strategy. If we say we don’t even need the ammendment, the right just exists, then it takes that away. It takes away the connection to “arms”. So we could get on with deciding how we can defend ourselves.

Violence is a legitimate part of every society. The difference in America is the concept of self defense is more broad than most European nations – a necessity in a very big, very diverse society like the USA.

No, the U.S. is more violent than any other country in the world. We have been brainwashed to believe we need guns, at the expense of our security and safety, because gun makers and the NRA are greedy for money.

Not even close.

Murder Rate By Country - WorldAtlas

The better comparison is to other industrialized democracies. We are an outlier. We used to be on part with some of the worst the world, but have improved slightly

1 Like

As far as industrialized democracies go, we are #1 in gun violence, which is not good. It puts us on par with 3rd World Countries. The U.S. is #1 in a lot of things (COVID cases and deaths, gun violence…) and none of them good.

When was this country on par with the worst?

The 1970s. I’m sure you could find a graph

Here are the homicide rates in America from 1950s to now.

Looks like the 80s was the worst decade with 10 per 100,000 homicides which is still way less than the other countries on the list.

Is this one of those “I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you” comparisons?

Why shouldn’t we try to do better regardless of what someone’s statistics say.

I don’t like using homicide rates because they are small sample. Gun violence is a better indicator. The best you can say is, we are not as bad as the worst

Some answers to recent questions. It should let you pass the firewall

I have a subscription to the NY Times, but yet I got

Blockquote Page Not Found
We’re sorry, we seem to have lost this page, but we don’t want to lose you.

We can do better, but this is about the false claim that America has the worst gun violence worldwide.

More proof that we are nowhere near worst for gun violence.