Right to bear arms?

Exactly! That is how real hunters describe it too. It’s not a sport I’d want to do, but they do call it a sport. With an AR or an AK if the critter isn’t blown to smithereens, it’s just not sport. What you just said is why I think, if my grandfather was still alive today, he’d not only rant about poachers, he’d be ranting about those knocking off animals with an AR and calling it hunting. My grandfather liked to hunt, but he hunted for food, but he didn’t want any of it wasted or destroyed. People can’t eat the creature if they blow it up with an AR or AK, whether is all of it or it’s just part of it blown off, it’s not a good kill.

Fair enough.

I’ve only hunted to eat so giving the animals a chance wasn’t the plan, but hunting for sport is another thing — you want a challenge.

This has turned into a totally surreal discussion.

Assault weapons are designed for the battlefield, designed for making it easier for shooters to kill more people more quickly.

Think how much faster Buffalo Bill could have rid the west of those dastardly bisons.

Yep, he could have them slow down the train and kill a few hundred in passing. Lots of meat for the Indians. They could buy freezers and have enough meat for a year!

Surrealist enough for you?

There is no challenge here your a modern hunter who uses an AR to hunt out of touch with nature. I hunt in tune with nature. Its your choice. Think I don’t eat the meat its the reward of the hunt. I can promise you one thing if you come here with your AR you will be arrested and the gun taken away from you so you will never hunt here. Keep them in the USA no one wants them.

I have seen American hunters up here shooting deer from a truck out the window and geese with a rifle who I reported to the game warden - they were arrested and their guns taken away.

3 Likes

@archstanton

Was reading This and it mentions SSRIs, and I thought of you.

Sidebar to this thread, but maybe enough interest for it’s own?

I just wanted to point out how ridiculous it is to hunt with an AR at least to me but I don’t see this as a winnable debate or being able to convince someone using an AR to hunt is overkill so I drop out.

1 Like

Well i have met 2 sorts of hunters:

• Hunter 1 : "After a night of vigil in a hunting hut, without seeing any game worth a shot, a flock of protected birds lands on the roof of the hut. the come out and kills each 2 birds. In French ,we call them " viandards " ( believe me it is a word of despise) .

Some times a group of hunters coming back empty handed will kill a domestic animal a wandering cat, just for fun.

And in France the hunters lobby is almost as much powerful than RNA in USA.

• Hunter 2: When he is hunting a bird whose defense against predators is to land on a tree branch under a deep canopy, if the bird lands before he has shoot, he does not, for him the bird has won.

Thanks @mrmhead . Probably worth its own thread. @lausten can you split this into a separate topic?

There are references spread out. Not sure what you’d want split.

You don’t need an AR or an AK to hunt for food to eat. A regular rifle will suffice. If you have to have that sort of fire power then you really don’t know how to hunt. It’s like using dynamite to fish.

Good on your country, whatever it is.

I don’t hunt and am a vegetarian, but watching and listening to my grandfather (when he was alive), knowing what AR and AKs do, and listening to real hunters talk, I agree with you. It is overkill and not needed for hunting. They really do need to be banned in the U.S. and the U.S. buy back every one of them.

In reference to the original post:

I don’t think our founding father had ARs and AKs in mind when they created the 2nd amendment and on top of it, they did not mean the general population by “well regulated militia”. They meant the military- army, navy, national guard…

Archstanton, don’t be shy, start the thread yourself, you can set the tone. I wouldn’t know what to write, but I’m willing to read about it.

:wink: :v:t2:

2 Likes

Like I said earlier, fair enough. No AR15s on Joker999’s territory.

Time magazine may not be the best source, but it’s better than a site dedicated to gun rights. This is a list of some odd hunting situations, but they do list one deer hunter. No mention of ripping the body of the animal apart though, so some facts are left out, IMO.

1 Like

I just happened to catch over the weekend some bit on North Woods Law (animal planet show) where they were going through some regulations. (not sure where this is though)
One regulation is that the firearm you use cannot have more than 3 rounds in it at a time when hunting migratory birds. This keeps people from wiping out a whole flock at once, giving the animals a chance to escape and survive.

2 Likes

In fact, I am wondering if people in favor of weapons control are not doing a big mistake.

They say rightly that weapons legislation is much to weak, they say rightly that 2nd amendment is misused.

But the true mater is why theses facts ?

And the answer is in the culture. Gramsci explained 90 years ago that the one who is culturally dominant, will win politically.

After WWII Ultra right and Ultra liberals in economy , as Milton Friedman, have applied the lesson and have won many points, among them the end of the Fordian compromise.

Back to Weapons:

The law and the 2nd amendment are used with success by NRA and weapons users because, culturally, violence is embedded in the American society, and seen as legitimate. It has always been and is still.

I think that i don’t need to give historical references about this point.

[Cultural hegemony - Wikipedia]