Repression

Exactly how accurate is the notion that suppressing feelings inside of you causes some kind of subconscious backlash that you aren’t entirely aware of? It seems rather Freudian and I know that a lot of his ideas are a bit crack potish. But people seem to believe that suppressing things like anger, love, and other emotions will have negative consequences down the line. Is there proof of this?

Exactly how accurate is the notion that suppressing feelings inside of you causes some kind of subconscious backlash that you aren't entirely aware of? It seems rather Freudian and I know that a lot of his ideas are a bit crack potish. But people seem to believe that suppressing things like anger, love, and other emotions will have negative consequences down the line. Is there proof of this?
Repressed feelings can exist, however there isn't really any evidence the phenomenon occurs in the way you're describing it. For starters, we would need a Freudian unconscious mind, and there's no evidence that even exists. Despite that, some researchers do think something like repressed emotions, and more commonly - repressed memories, play a role in Psychotheraputic treatment. (The jury is still out on the effectiveness of Psychotherapy itself, but the evidence for it is slim). These links go into more detail: http://skepdic.com/unconscious.html http://skepdic.com/repressedmemory.html
Exactly how accurate is the notion that suppressing feelings inside of you causes some kind of subconscious backlash that you aren't entirely aware of? It seems rather Freudian and I know that a lot of his ideas are a bit crack potish. But people seem to believe that suppressing things like anger, love, and other emotions will have negative consequences down the line. Is there proof of this?
Nothing leads people to repress natural emotions like religion does. Religion could rightly be called the father of repression. Freud only identified repression, he didn't invent it, nor did he recommend it. He identified more psychological phenomena, much of it destructive, than anyone else before or since. Lois.
Nothing leads people to repress natural emotions like religion does. Religion could rightly be called the father of repression. Freud only identified repression, he didn't invent it, nor did he recommend it. He identified more psychological phenomena, much of it destructive, than anyone else before or since. Lois. I also know Freud said a lot of things but that doesn't make them true
Nothing leads people to repress natural emotions like religion does. Religion could rightly be called the father of repression. Freud only identified repression, he didn't invent it, nor did he recommend it. He identified more psychological phenomena, much of it destructive, than anyone else before or since. Lois.
I also know Freud said a lot of things but that doesn't make them true Then again, much as I hate to admit it, Freud does make some sense and he certainly stirred the imagination. Rather than simply deflecting what Lois said, why not think about it and engage some of those specific items she listed. Take it a step beyond tossing stuff against the wall and handwaving. Get serious and put some of yourself into these threads you keep starting. Please, let us know if anything we point at resonates in any way with you, I'm constantly learning and adding new items to my understanding, does anything like that happen with you with your many questioning threads. Which I get a kick out of incidentally, so don't take this as a hostile takedown or insult, I simply believe you have better to offer and would like to read it. I bet I'm not the only one around here. I'm just saying. You come on very provocative, but then never seem to follow through. Give it a try. :-)

But how can you prove repression? We can’t exactly observe this stuff going on or people doing it so how can we be sure such a concept even exists?

Nothing leads people to repress natural emotions like religion does. Religion could rightly be called the father of repression. Lois.Don't think I've heard that take on religion before. If anything, religion provides emotional enhancement rather than repression. It's similar to art in that respect.
Nothing leads people to repress natural emotions like religion does. Religion could rightly be called the father of repression. Freud only identified repression, he didn't invent it, nor did he recommend it. He identified more psychological phenomena, much of it destructive, than anyone else before or since. Lois. I also know Freud said a lot of things but that doesn't make them trueNearly all modern behavioral scientists consider Freud's theories to be about 98% pseudoscience. At best, he was a kind of pioneer in some research areas but he didn't contribute much of value to them.