Religiously unaffiliated voters (a positive trend)

I suspect that a large portion of the religiously unaffiliated are pretty much indifferent to anything other than their own self-centric lives. IOW, the only "ism" that they have much concern for is "me-ism". (I prefer a "me-ist" to a lot of "less-benign-ists". But I doubt they can be counted on for little things like civic duty.)
That's exactly the way I see religious people. I suspect that a large portion of the religiously affiliated are pretty much indifferent to anything other than their own self-centric lives and their own belief systems. The only "ism" that they have much concern for is "me-ism," dressed up as selfless belief. But they can't be counted on for little things like civic duty except for making a false display of it. "Look at me being civically responsible and oh, so holy!" They like to pretend they are civic minded, but it's only PR. They are no more likely to be truly civic minded than the religiously unaffiliated. They are just more likely to be hypocrites. Their civic mindedness is simply part of their "holier-than-thou" pretence. You've been taken in, Tim. I thought you were smarter than that. Lois Lois, the hypocritically religious "me-sts", have, at least, their hypocrisy as a guiding force, i.e., some cohesion. e.g., They might vote for Ted Cruz, just to brag about it to their evangelical associates. When you say "You've been taken in, Tim.", who do you suspect has "taken me in"? People who claim that the religiously unaffiliated are self-centered and have little or no sense of civic responsibility. That attitide implies that a person needs a religion inorder to be not self centered and to be civic minded. I find that to be an irrational belief. Any group you can name has a small percentage of activists--religious or non-religious. Religious people simply beat their drums louder.
... You've been taken in, Tim. I thought you were smarter than that. Lois
Lois, the hypocritically religious "me-sts", have, at least, their hypocrisy as a guiding force, i.e., some cohesion. e.g., They might vote for Ted Cruz, just to brag about it to their evangelical associates. When you say "You've been taken in, Tim.", who do you suspect has "taken me in"?
People who claim that the religiously unaffiliated are self-centered and have little or no sense of civic responsibility.
I have had no interactions with such people. I do know one person who suspects that there is a large portion of the religiously unaffiliated (and a large portion of our general population, also) that have self-centeredness as a guiding primary force in their lives. (That one person is me.)
That attitide implies that a person needs a religion inorder to be not self centered and to be civic minded. I find that to be an irrational belief.
No, that "attitude" implies that a person needs a core belief system that goes beyond just "what is best for me, alone". A religion could supply that belief system, but I think that religions, generally, provide poor substitutes for a moral/ethical core belief system that is based on rational thinking.